Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Ten-Year-Old Stripe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM
cPetrucci
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ten-Year-Old Stripe Removal

For a while I've been thinking about getting rid of my white bonnet stripes on my 2005 MCS. I finally decided to do it a few days ago and just got it done tonight.

I know a lot of people worry about removing old stripes from their Minis because of the potential for discoloration, residue, and Damage, but these problems may or may not come up. It really depends on how the stripes have held up.

In my case, they held up very well, but were starting to yellow out a bit, which made me want to get rid of them. The stripes have been on the car since it was first purchased, so roughly ten years. The original owner (not me) kept the car garaged and in very good shape, keeping it nice and clean. I am not able to always keep the car garaged, but do keep it very clean. I think this care helped tremendously with keeping the stripes as decent as they were.

NOTE: Sorry for the dark night photos, I'll upload more in the sun in the morning, those will do a better job of showing how everything went.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take 'before' pictures of the car, but I do have this one with one stripe still on so you can see the shape they were in prior to removal.

Name:  IMG_0023_2.jpg
Views: 4385
Size:  86.0 KB

I used these to get them off, then clean the hood to get rid of any residue that I could.
Mother's Showtime spray and Clay Bar
Chemical Guys All Clean (Diluted 1:10 AC:Water)
Vinyl/tint applicator
And a few microfiber towels
Plus a blow-dryer

Name:  IMG_1762.jpg
Views: 4445
Size:  56.0 KB

It took a grand total of about 12 minutes to peel the stripes off. I kept the blowdryer about three inches from the stripe, peeled slowly while heating, and they came off in one piece. I actually just peeled up a corner (at the top) with my fingernail and then pulled down - never used the scraper during this step. The heat made the biggest difference, it was absolutely necessary.

Note the small lines of residue on the edges of where the stripes used to be.

Then I gave the hood a really quick wash to get rid of any dirt

Name:  IMG_1771.jpg
Views: 4506
Size:  62.5 KB

The next thing I did was take my All Clean and water mixture and spray down the area with the residue on it, and scrape with the yellow scraper. I did this very gently to minimize any micro-scratches. Overall, this did a great job, hardly anything was left over. There were a few problem areas though that I expected to be able to take care of with a clay bar job.

Name:  IMG_1774.jpg
Views: 4389
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 4370
Size:  59.0 KB

After the clay bar, a few little patches of adhesive remained, which I hope to remove tomorrow. Should come off fine with a soak of All Clean and a little scrub.

The discoloration really seems to be very minimal. There is more than the pictures show (again, sorry for the dark, I'll get up some sunlight pictures tomorrow), but not bad. Hopefully with some polish and a thorough buff the shades will blend more or less seamlessly.

Overall, the job was very quick, taking roughly an hour, and I didn't have too much of a problem with anything. Anxious to see the results in the morning.

The heat is probably the most important component, as it really lets the adhesive loosen up and come off easily.

I know my stripes held up damn well for a ten-year-old set, and they're a bit anomalous for that, but I think with the right gear (given that your stripes are cracked and destroyed), anyone could take off their stripes without too much fear of damage.

And if all else fails, more can always be put on to hide any alarming discoloration.

Note: I have also heard that as the areas covered by stripes get more time in the sun and air, they will fade to match the rest of the paint after a couple of weeks.

The following users liked this post:
greystone (03-25-2021)
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Well done. I've replaced mine twice. Originals were badly stained from tree sap at the previous owners and the replacements were destroyed by suicidal bugs on the highway. Finally found a source for laminated stripes and after abt. 20K miles still look like new. They had to be replaced because of very noticeable ghost stripes. You lucked out there.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nicely done. I got stripes on my 05 that I plan on removing soon too. Good thing the previous owner kept it garaged so I'm hoping my job removing them will be easy like yours.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Really like to remove mine but I doubt I'll be as lucky as the condition of mine are rough.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
808keith
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Removed mine yesterday... came off in under 5 mins.. a little heat from the heat gun then cleaned it up.. both came off in one piece..

Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 PM
MINIKB
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Ours still look brand new on the 2002 but the car has always been garaged and very well taken care of.

Good job!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:38 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very reassuring! Mine are started to peel a bit at the edges but otherwise are in good shape... I may attempt this in the spring.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:20 AM
aslondon
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great, Gives me some comfort to know if I put them on and don't like them, it's not that big a deal to get them off.

Al

Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 AM
cPetrucci
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was really nervous to take mine off too, really didn't want any nasty discoloration or anything like that. I'm glad it worked out well. I think that as long as the stripes are in fairly good shape, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

And if there is, there's always the option to put on new, fresh stripes. Maybe change the color even?

Sorry for not posting updated pictures yet. I just installed the JCW Aero Grilles on my Mini yesterday so I've been a bit busy. I'll get some posted as soon as the car gets (a much needed) bath. Cheers.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
In case anyone needs replacements, just PM me. I've got sets of OEM both black and white.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:31 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread is really encouraging. My stripes are about 8 years old, but at some point it seems that the previous owner added a metallic silver pinstripe to the edge of the black stripe. It's a separate piece of vinyl, but the edge of the black has started to peel up a bit, taking the silver edge up with it. I initially thought I could just remove the pinstripes, but I think the whole shebang will have to come off.

Overall the stripes are in fine shape, a bit faded but not cracked at all. I will probably want to replace them, possibly with white ones, but if the paint looks okay I might just leave it well enough alone.

I checked with a couple of vinyl shops and they want about 2h of labour for it. I think I'll attempt a DIY on this one.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:02 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Great job on the removal and clean up. The paint held up well.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-28-2015, 07:44 PM
sabjcw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did this as well on the 04 JCW that I just purchased. Mine being electric blue, and having the stripes on from day one definitely left some noticeable ghost stripes, on both the hood, and the hatch.

I'm hoping after a few weeks it'll be less noticeable. Some have commented how they actually like the subtleness of the ghost stripes.....me though, not a fan!

Has anyone done this previously and had the ghost stripes and they eventually faded to not be as noticeable? How long did that take??

Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I redid mine and i can still see a little bit of it. I polished the hood and used rubbing compound to bring back the luster of the old paint and it seem to hid it very well. Only at sunset can I really see it anymore.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Chemical_Guys/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 07-10-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Looks like I have a project for the weekend

Old 02-13-2020, 07:35 PM
Todd Stanley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Removed Bonnet Stripes, Scratches

Hi All. New to these parts. Just went through the process of leasing a new 2020 Mini Cooper Hardtop S for my wife. So far the car is fantastic less one issue. Initially the cream white (Pepper White) car had black bonnet stripes on the hood. My wife preferred the look without them, so the dealer offered to remove and reassured me there would be no damage.

Alas. Upon inspecting the car in bright sunlight 24 hours later, the previously striped areas on the hood were now covered in linear, razor blade-like scratches. I contacted the dealer and I came back 48 hours later to have them "buff" the hood.

It was a cloudy winter day and on first glance the problem appeared to be remedied. However, about 48 hours later we had another sunny day. The bright overhead light made the razor blade-like scratches visible from a few feet away. Unacceptable.

I contacted and brought car back to the dealer a second time. We pulled it into the indoor bay and they reluctantly agreed they could see the scratches. They felt they won't cause long-term damage and I mostly agree. I was told on this second trip the "paint team" would look at it and attempt to buff again. My salesman looked at the hood and struggled to find what I was seeing (by this point I had already provided photos of evidence). The sales manager also came and looked and came up with a "plan".

I was then told that 1. They wouldn't buff it out again that day, 2. That in terms of the lease the scratches would cause no issues, and 3. That I should return in 2 months if the problem still persists. At this 2 month mark I was told the rest of the clear coat would show normal wear and tear, presumably blending in with the scratches I'm concerned about. I was told the cold weather (sub 32 degrees F) also "impacts the paint" and that 2 months of driving might "remedy" the problem.

I was reassured that if after that time frame they would correct the problem. Am I crazy for wanting the problem fixed and clear coat repaired? It is a brand new car and it's not like I hastily removed the bonnet stripes causing scratches, the dealer did. The 2 month waiting period seems like a sales tactic to get me off their backs as if to think I will forget about it. Needless to say I'm unhappy. I feel the problem should be corrected. Sure in 2 months the rest of the hood with "catch up with" the damage, but I still feel I will be able to notice the liner razor blade-like scratches.

So. Am I being a crazy consumer worrying about nothing? Or am I in the right, considering I should expect the dealer to step up and fix the problem?

Scratches where bonnet stripes were removed using razor blade or something like it.

Pristine hood without scratches mere inches away.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I guess I just got lucky with mine, I removed them in the heat of the summer, no hair dryer, heat gun or chemicals, the just came off very simply in one piece, on a sunny day.
And because the car is Pure Silver, it honestly looks like I had stripes ghosted in, which I like.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:37 AM
troyegly
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would like to remove my stripes on my 2012 but I am not sure about the ghosting! It's eclipse gray so probably will not look so well. Its been a while but last time I searched for replacement stripes it was a bit challenging