Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Colored LED Dome Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
hgsbnt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNEEME
Anyone know if Autolumination's Greed LED Bulbs match the BRG or the Red matching the gauges inside the MINI? Or even think it might be a good match? I think the red would be a good match to the gauges.
Red would look so cool and match gauges.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Or you could just change the color of your gauges
Originally Posted by hgsbnt
Red would look so cool and match gauges.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 PM
joetc
1st Gear
I got 2002 MC i just change all to hyper white kind of good I Used 168 size
I dome i forgot need to double check i remeber is Polarg M16 Super white Dome light http://store.racinglab.com/polarg.html here is the link can find some more info

Old 01-21-2007, 09:26 AM
hgsbnt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
OK... it was worth the effort after all...

This is a prototype 5-LED blue lamp similar to Autolumination's that someone I know is developing - should have almost exactly the output of their lights but (hopefully) will be less pricey. Thanks a zillion Puppetmaster and everyone over on the cabrio forum that helped me out.
looks awesome ... I want the same for mine.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
MisterCooper
2nd Gear
General Information:
I bought the 5 LED style 194 lights, and the 9 LED style festoon lamps and were disappointed with the brightness. However, I recognized that a lot of light was lost because at any given time (on the 5 led style 194's) only two of the LED's were facing out the lens in my foot wells. As an experiment, i tried wrapping shiny aluminum foil around the inside of the lens cover (such that all the light is reflected out the lens). NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. If you're having trouble with brightness, try this out. Now, my LEDs are just bright enough to look good and not be intrusive.

I did the same with the festoon style and it also made a huge difference. I made a template with some paper and then cut the aluminum foil to match. I also used heat shrink tubing to keep the contacts in the dome from shorting out on the aluminum foil.

LEDs are great!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Logitex
1st Gear
Originally Posted by IrishCooper
I want that DOME light! Someone on my local board posted that but unfortunately they wont sell to US vendors. Theres got to be a way to get it!

Seems like MOSS mini has these domelights, kinda pricey though.

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...34&SortOrder=1

Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 PM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, are anyone else's 36mm Festoon bulbs going bad after awhile? My License plate lights, and my two interior Festoon bulbs started to flash after awhile and then later just went out completely. I was told that I have to put a resistor... but I don't know what size of resistor. Anyone else having this issue?

Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Logitex
Seems like MOSS mini has these domelights, kinda pricey though.

http://www.mossmini.com/Shop/ViewPro...34&SortOrder=1
Im soo buying that!

BTW NokturnalMCS my license plate and interior dome are 39mm and the license plate has blinked whenever the interior lights were on since i put them in (i need a resistor) but havent gone out, how long did you have them in?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 AM
DmOcRsI
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The License plate one's went out first, I believe cause they were the most used... they started to blink maybe a week later. Another week after that they were dead. The Interior one's lasted a little bit longer but went the same way.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Where did you buy them?
Originally Posted by NokturnalMCS
The License plate one's went out first, I believe cause they were the most used... they started to blink maybe a week later. Another week after that they were dead. The Interior one's lasted a little bit longer but went the same way.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I got my high intensity festoon bulbs - I forgot that the glove box had one - so I installed one there and ordered another to have a pair for my license plate. The one in the glovebox looks great. I also got one of these 5-way high intensity 194's:

Installed it as the cabrio dome light - OMG that thing is BRIGHT. It lights up the whole cabin like the inside of your refrigerator!!! But I love it - combined with the V-LED flank high intensity bulbs in the footwells, this looks GREAT in the cabrio - I'd take pix, but it's impossible for me to really convey what it looks like in a photo... It's a bit oversized, so I had to carefully drill out the hole a bit for fitment, but no worries.

I used some not-great white LED 194's I already had in the map lights for now, just ordered some new high intensity LEDs for there... then will be set. I got my short Oznium strips for the rear footwells, but won't have time to install those until this weekend (hopefully)...
So... mid-term reliablity report... Blimey is eating these $10 high intensity 5-way bulbs like Tic Tacs. I just noticed tonight that the two I had in my front parking lights were both going flaky (only one element lit, flashing). I lost one earlier in my dome light... I LOVE the look of these things when they work... I haven't put a voltmeter on there to see how many v's Blimey is pumping... but suspect overvoltage may be an issue... Anybody else having issues?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
So... mid-term reliablity report... Blimey is eating these $10 high intensity 5-way bulbs like Tic Tacs. I just noticed tonight that the two I had in my front parking lights were both going flaky (only one element lit, flashing). I lost one earlier in my dome light... I LOVE the look of these things when they work... I haven't put a voltmeter on there to see how many v's Blimey is pumping... but suspect overvoltage may be an issue... Anybody else having issues?
I've been using one in my cabrio dome light for a month (actually based on your initial review) and it is still doing well. It went out at one point but that was a poor electrical contact, and it was fine again after reseating the bulb. It throws a very bright, wide light and I hope it holds up.

The parking lights are a constant-on application that would subject the bulbs to voltage fluctuations from the alternator while the engine is running. It wouldn't surprising if the bulbs were subjected to overvoltage. I'm surprised that the one in your dome light went out so soon, unless you frequently turned it on while the engine was running. A few months ago (before they came out with the 194 towers), I asked Superlumination about differences between their high power 194 bulbs. They said that their 4 star model has a built-in voltage regulator and is recommended for constant-on use. Some of the other models are brighter but they didn't recommend them for constant-on applications.

By the way, I discovered it is much easier to remove the cabrio dome light assembly than was described back in post #108. Simply insert a credit card into the back ridge (cabin, not windshield side) near a corner and push the card firmly into the ridge, and it will release the catch. No need to remove the mirror or the vent inserts.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 AM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NokturnalMCS
Hey, are anyone else's 36mm Festoon bulbs going bad after awhile? My License plate lights, and my two interior Festoon bulbs started to flash after awhile and then later just went out completely. I was told that I have to put a resistor... but I don't know what size of resistor. Anyone else having this issue?
Same thing happened to me. My boot and dome festoons started flashing about 3 months after I installed them. The dome is still flashing but the boot light is completely dead now. I'm trying to decide if I should replace them with LEDs again, or just go with a "super white" incandescent bulbs. Anyone else have a long term update to report?

Old 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
My second super-bright 5-way dome bulb is doing fine so far. I put the 4-star LEDs in the front parking lights and they're fine so far also - and I like the look of them...

Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
My second super-bright 5-way dome bulb is doing fine so far. I put the 4-star LEDs in the front parking lights and they're fine so far also - and I like the look of them...
In the parking lights, do the 4-star LEDs fill out the fixture or do they look like sharp points of light? I've had the bright 5-way tower bulb in my dome since January, and no problem so far.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
In the parking lights, do the 4-star LEDs fill out the fixture or do they look like sharp points of light? I've had the bright 5-way tower bulb in my dome since January, and no problem so far.
They're "sharper" than the 5-ways, but they are much better than the single-chip ones. I think a good compromise - I like the way they look, actually. I'm travelling, or I'd try to get a pic to post...

Old 03-27-2007, 07:13 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
i have the 5 LED matrix bulbs in my front parking lights and they are sharp points of light but they still fill the fixture but i bet the 5 LED wide angle high intensity would do a better job. Plus they look too blue compared to my Xenons.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
i have the 5 LED matrix bulbs in my front parking lights and they are sharp points of light but they still fill the fixture but i bet the 5 LED wide angle high intensity would do a better job. Plus they look too blue compared to my Xenons.
Yes, yes, and yes.

I too had the matrix bulbs. And they didn't look as good (color or intensity) as the 5 LED high intensity. But the 5 LED high intensity got BAKED in there... they don't last. So now the 4-star SMT LEDs seem to be the current winner...

Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
And where did you get those? from autoilumination?

Old 03-28-2007, 12:30 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
i just checked and i bought a 4 star SMT when i bought the Matrix bulbs, and it was worse to me that the matrix, it was more blub and not as bright cause it didnt have LEDs on the side to reflect the housing like a wedge bulb.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:49 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Like ImagoX, I am now using amber bulbs in my front parking lights. I think amber parking lights look way cooler than white, and there is no issue about trying to match the color with the headlights. I'm still using incandescents now but I'm considering the amber 4 star SMT LEDs.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
i just checked and i bought a 4 star SMT when i bought the Matrix bulbs, and it was worse to me that the matrix, it was more blub and not as bright cause it didnt have LEDs on the side to reflect the housing like a wedge bulb.
Hmmm. Peculiar (not you, the situation...)
I tried some 5-way matrix bulbs that look identical, but that I think came from a different source. They were VERY dim - the filled out the lamp, but just didn't emit enough light. The 4-stars seem MUCH brighter (though I agree - they don't fill the lamp since they have no side-firing LEDs)...

Old 03-28-2007, 09:03 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Like ImagoX, I am now using amber bulbs in my front parking lights. I think amber parking lights look way cooler than white, and there is no issue about trying to match the color with the headlights. I'm still using incandescents now but I'm considering the amber 4 star SMT LEDs.

I was thinking about that last night amber LED would eliminate the color match issue and still be clear when off. My only reservation is that ive always liked the white parking light cause it looks euro where as the amber running light looks very domestic to me. Maybe im just strange like that. Ill probably buy the 5 LED high intensity just to try them out and if i dont like them i will relocate them to a Map light.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I was thinking about that last night amber LED would eliminate the color match issue and still be clear when off. My only reservation is that ive always liked the white parking light cause it looks euro where as the amber running light looks very domestic to me. Maybe im just strange like that. Ill probably buy the 5 LED high intensity just to try them out and if i dont like them i will relocate them to a Map light.
I bet you'll like them fine. But they'll burn out after a month or so. At least both of mine did.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
im still curious about peoples opinion of amber parking lights, rkw do you know if you are ImagoX have pics of the amber parking lights?

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Colored LED Dome Lights