Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Colored LED Dome Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 04:03 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds perfect, I will order one thanks for the info

Old 12-19-2005, 01:15 PM
jebernauer
2nd Gear
Does anyone know where I can get some "puddle" lights and if/how I need to modify my '03 to get them in there?

Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jebernauer
So what was the end result? did you decide to keep the red or go back to white? Were you using a 9 LED festoon in the dome?
Sorry, I just saw your post! I still have the red LED dome light in (9-LED festoon), but only out of sheer laziness. I've basically decided that I don't like it (it's far too dim), but I've actually managed to lose the original bulb, so I'm SOL until I either order a white LED or bend over at the dealer for another stock one.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Just got my bulbs today, and I will have to say that I concur about the 9 LED festoon. Way too dim. By my unscientific estimation, I'm guessing about 25-30% light output compared to OEM. Pretty to look at while lit, but useless otherwise.
Oh well, live and learn.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:07 AM
jebernauer
2nd Gear
3cocinas, did you get the red as well? jfunkmd has pics of the blue and they look really bright. did you replace the 194s next to the festoon too? I'm starting to doubt myself here...

Old 12-20-2005, 06:10 AM
NMgokart
6th Gear
I got the UV and did not replace the map lights, as they don't come on with the dome light.
Or am I doing something wrong?

Old 12-20-2005, 06:30 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jebernauer
Does anyone know where I can get some "puddle" lights and if/how I need to modify my '03 to get them in there?
You can install them in an 03. And the parts should be available at your dealer.

Installation seems pretty simple but requires you to cut into the door card (takes guts)

Check out here for some install pics and talk about the mod.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...=puddle+lights

Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
well if you get bored and would like to take a picture of the uv. I was thinking it was going to be dimmer as is most uv lights. I was going to use the super light leds in the map lights in case I needed to see.

It's just more of a neat thing to walk into then anything.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM
simplygriff
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Alright so I tried the same solution for this as I did with my old RSX before I saw this thread. I picked up some lighting gel from an audio/video dealer and slipped some custom cut pieces into the light lenses. I'm trying to match the orange of the other stock lighting and while I've got the color matched to a T, I've got some light leaks around the edges from the stock white bulbs.

I guess my question is, have any of you matched the orange of the interior lights? Anyone tried the amber lights from www.autolumination.com? I'm kinda thinking using the amber led's behind orange light gels I have now should give a nice effect.

One more question... How does the blue lights some of you have contrast with the stock orange gauges?
-G

Old 12-21-2005, 07:33 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Anyone know if Autolumination's Greed LED Bulbs match the BRG or the Red matching the gauges inside the MINI? Or even think it might be a good match? I think the red would be a good match to the gauges.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2005, 05:36 AM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Has anyone tried the red/blue combo 194s? What does the color look like and do they put out sufficient light?
Also, not being a lighting guy, does anyone know if small neon tubes will work properly wired in to the dome light circuit? The rheostat effect/ theatrical lighting makes me think no.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:24 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MNEEME
Anyone know if Autolumination's Greed LED Bulbs match the BRG or the Red matching the gauges inside the MINI? Or even think it might be a good match? I think the red would be a good match to the gauges.
I think the green bulb should match BRG well enough; it's not going to match perfectly, or else it would be almost black and barely any light would come out of it at all.

I have the inside of my car all red right now, and it looks kind of cool, but I don't know if I would say it matches the guages (which are orange). I'll have my good camera back after this weekend, and I'll try to snap a photo or two, but there's really very little light to work with, and I'm no DiD. If I didn't have Cocomats with red dots, I wonder how much I'd see the footwell lights at all on black carpet.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:20 AM
Joeyprice
2nd Gear
get bulbs with a wavelength of 610nm to match the orange interior lights on the dash

Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 AM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
I think the green bulb should match BRG well enough; it's not going to match perfectly, or else it would be almost black and barely any light would come out of it at all.
HaHa Very true! But I would love to see your interior with the red. I know its orange gauges but sometimes if the lights red it kinda looks orange. lol Yea I'm really looking to get either green or red.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:14 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Stupid question but how do you get the dome light cover off to replace the bulb?

Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
There should be kinda a little place for a screw driver to stick and pry on. Like a against the ledge by the button to turn the light on and off and put the screw driver there and pry away from the light. Gentle though. It should pop right off. And with this I am assuming the light fixture is the same in all the models. Not sure if they have changed.

Here are some pics. Hope this helps!

Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
MY HERO!

Old 12-31-2005, 06:53 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
MY HERO!
Glad I could help!

Old 01-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Squirrel
1st Gear
impedance equalizer?

Hey guys -

A couple of folks mentioned needing a 15 ohm impedance equalizer. Is this for the interior boot light? How hard is is to install?

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Bster
3rd Gear
Hi ya guys,

guess it's a little late to ask this as i've already ordered the "Matrix" Leds from autolumination for my front parking lights and my all interior lighting. Erm, will it fit the front lights? Or have i wasted money?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 PM
cooper99
Banned
The matrix 194 bulbs should fit your parking lights just fine. BTW, don't take off your front bumper to install them; I found it much easier to reach the light socket with your hand and switch the lights.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Bster
3rd Gear
Thanks, changing the bulbs isn't a problem, just the size of the entrance of the hole. I've fitted 11mm 5LEDs before but it wasn't very good and 1 of the LED wasn't working, even after sending it back and getting another one. ( I think the vendor didn't change it for me) I wasn't too pleased so am hoping autolumination will be better. Judging from the number of people using their products, I don't think I'd have any problems! ( Finger's crossed)

Anyways, I had confirmation from Tuls that the Matrixs won't fit the front parking lights. I should have ordered the Oval wide angle lenses.

I'd probably have to remove the bumper to remove the light housing so that I can fit it the other way in.

I'll write up some feedback once I have it sorted out.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
cooper99
Banned
Sorry for the misleading info; I use the 194 wide angle LED's in the parking lights. Just wondering, what color of bulb did you order? Super-white or blue? I originally installed 2 blue oval wide angle bulbs into the parking lights after seeing some of the awesome pics in Tuls gallery, but I got tired of them quickly, and now I have the super-whites and still loving them.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Bster
3rd Gear
Well, when I was looking around for the front LEDs, (as the yellow really bugged me as i have 6000k HID bulbs) I came across a thread with Tul's (a great guy who's always ready to answer my insistent questions) car on it.

Very ace looking! A few PMs later, he assured me (after asking him 3 times) that he got Superwhites and not blue. The reason it's blue is due to underexposure of the camera.

Now, I'm thinking of converting my fogs to HIDs to match! I don't have any fog here so it's a purely bling bling mod.

Would you have any pictures to show off? Heh heh

Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great info (and questions ...) I was able to get all the info needed ... but.

In the DOME light
If the festoon 9 led is dim could a longer or dual set-up be done ?
Looks like there is room.

I am looking to go RED

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Colored LED Dome Lights