Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Colored LED Dome Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Bster
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nah i don't think so, the festoon is held on by two pieces of thin metal, the largest size you could fit is the 39mm which I think is the equivalent of 1 1/2. Unless you do some fabrication, I believe it can't be fitted. Why don't you open the cover and have a look yourself? I know it's tempting to use a screw driver, but I can open them just using my fingers. No damage to the plastic.

Try it!

Old 03-02-2006, 10:44 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any RED photos ???

Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bpago; I would strongly recommend not to get red LED dome lights or interior lights; they offer very very little lighting. Last Saturday, I helped out my friend do a red LED interior light conversion to his RSX-S (took about 3 hours), and he is already back to stock, if that tells you anything.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:35 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Ok, I am new at this so excuse if I ask dumb questions, but I want to change the interior look of my car. I am not sure if blue lights will look good (I have an Eletric blue) nor do I know what size, where to get, etc... Can someone offer any advice? I would really appriciate it!I don't have a problem getting my hands dirty trying to work on my car, but I haven't a clue what I am doing here. (Neither does my husband!)

Old 04-02-2006, 07:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniNurse
Ok, I am new at this so excuse if I ask dumb questions, but I want to change the interior look of my car. I am not sure if blue lights will look good (I have an Eletric blue) nor do I know what size, where to get, etc... Can someone offer any advice? I would really appriciate it!I don't have a problem getting my hands dirty trying to work on my car, but I haven't a clue what I am doing here. (Neither does my husband!)
With the exception of driving lamps, all my bulbs have been coverted to LED including the interior...which is now red. You can find replacement festoon LED bulbs at http://www.autolumination.com Check their application page... http://autolumination.com/application_charts.html for proper replacement bulbs.

Old 04-02-2006, 07:48 AM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Thanks, I will check it out. Hopefully I will find something cool!

Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Gerldoc
3rd Gear
I actually like the stock orange interior LED lights, but wouldn't mind adding some extra color in the footwells. Anyone know whether Autoluminations AMBER color vs. RED is a better match to stock?
Also, how hard is it to put in footwell lighting? Any suggestions? I looked at the page MSFIT pointed to above but it has nothing about fitment for the footwell area.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:54 PM
jebernauer
2nd Gear
I'm almost positive they are 194s. Most of the car has 194 bulbs except the obvious areas.

It sounds like you want to add color in addition to the standard white. I wired a couple of strings into the circuit for the light under the power point so they would be on/off with the headlights. If you haven't taken the console apart before it is a bit daunting, but it gets easier. The strings I had were cheapo deals from Discount and they started to blink after about a year so that was $20 gone to limited enjoyment. They were 4 single LEDs spaced about a foot apart and encased in a plastic bubble. A little 3M double sided foam tape is all you need to stick them to anything plastic. Experiment with the different flat spots under the dash and drive around with it at night while wearing white shoes. If it blinds you... try again. I mounted the first one to shine on the cupholder (looks awesome with a water bottle in there) the second went on the side under the dash pointing outboard across the footwell the third was mounted mid way across the footwell pointing just at the front edge or slightly under the seat and the fourth was mounted on the outboard side pointing across the footwell at #2. This gave good even coverage without glaring in the eyes. Just watch any shiny stuff in the footwell. CDs, birthday presents, or anything more reflective than a white shoe can be a problem.

FYI, I never had a problem with cops, but that's likely more my driving than the lights so check it out in your area to be safe. Some states frown on driving with excessive light inside the car.

I hope this wasn't too off base, but maybe it can help someone else too. I have some photos of the install process for overhead LEDs too. I put 3 loose LEDs in the plastic area that holds the sunroof switch. Those were much better quality and are still in the car to this day.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 AM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AZMCS
cooper99-
I have the full blue LED set in my MCS. Everyone who rides in it loves the lighting and says how cool Mini's are for doing this. I sheepishly tell them I did the mod and then they ask how they can do it to there Ponitac Sunfire, Olds Bravada etc...

I will also second autoluminations It is a great company selling true LED lights in multiple colors. Living in AZ is a bonus for me as they are in Phoenix and I get my orders within 2 days. But speaks to how quickly they respond to orders. The paypal thing is a bonus too.

I have attached some thumbnail links(tried to at least) to my gallery where I added a few pictures. Unfortunately my hands aren't too steady, and I wanted to show the color without any other lighting, so they are somewhat blurry, but give the general idea.

As far as bulbs go: 194's for the dome lights, map lights, footwells, and under the doors/entry lights, as well as glove box. The boot light is a 194 as well, but I recommend an impedence jumper for this one, as otherwise it blinks continuously at night when your lights are on. The middle dome light is a 39mm festoon I think (or a 36mm) as are the liscense plate bulbs. I also replace the front parking/running lights with 194 matrix bulbs and the wheel arch lights with bright white 194 spots. All in all it was about $70 worth of lighting, but they will last way longer than the standard halogens, and get the biggest response of any of my mods (even my $1500 OZ wheels!!!)

I feel like im in a spaceship but i like it!!

Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Man I was going nuts trying to find this thread...

Does anyone know off the top of their head if the dome light in the cabrio uses the same 39mm festoon as the hard top? The light lens certainly looks different than in the photos here.

Thanks!

Edit: The lamp in the cabrio is DEFINITELY different... it only has a single, round bulb in a clear plastic housing. Looks the same as the rounnd bulbs set into the map light holes. Can anyone tell me what lamp that is? In the hard top the map lights are the 194's I think, but they may be different in the cabrio.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:54 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Hey, has anone used these 194s?

I was looking for something in the foot wells with a bit more intensity, and these certainly look bright... Since they're wired seperate, I was thinking they could be moved a bit more inboard than the current foot well lamps.

I was seriously considering going with cathode tubes to replace my foot well lighting, but now I'm not so sure... I'd like a solution that doesn't have me wiring in relays and whatnot...

PS- I STILL have no idea about the cabrio's overhead lighting... I'm having issues just removing the dome light assembly to even look at the bulbs (you have to pull off the whole assembly and access the bulbs from the rear). Can anyone confirm if the cabrio's map lights are the same map bulbs as in the hard top, and whether or not the dome lamp is, in fact, that came bulb? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2006, 01:10 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
FYI the LEDs that I put in my dome and boot lights from autoalumination only lasted about 3 months before they started blinking and going out. The rest are still going strong though.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:20 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Others that reported that said that by tweaking the wedge connection wires a bit they restored the functionality. The dome lamp in a hard top is the "festoon" bulb though, so I'm not sure why those would fail...

Old 09-08-2006, 06:28 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
FYI the LEDs that I put in my dome and boot lights from autoalumination only lasted about 3 months before they started blinking and going out. The rest are still going strong though.
My dome LED never failed but I've gone through two sets of these festoon LEDs for the license lamps...they failed the same way...starts blinking then die...

Old 09-08-2006, 06:49 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Interesting... Are the festoons in the rear sealed up, or can moisture get up in there?

Old 09-08-2006, 07:03 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
They're encased behind a plastic lens...

Old 09-09-2006, 06:33 PM
jebernauer
2nd Gear
ImagoX,
I would use caution putting something that bright in your footwells if you intend to drive with them on. Your shoes will reflect a tremendous amount of that light. If you're just using it on the interior light circuit there's no problem. I made that mistake once already!

Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Figured I'd show mine off that I got awhile back from Autolumination

Old 09-10-2006, 02:07 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MNEEME
Figured I'd show mine off that I got awhile back from Autolumination

That looks really nice

Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jebernauer
ImagoX,
I would use caution putting something that bright in your footwells if you intend to drive with them on. Your shoes will reflect a tremendous amount of that light. If you're just using it on the interior light circuit there's no problem. I made that mistake once already!
Drive with the foot well lamps on? Why would I do that?

I decided on cathodes anyway... 12" bars on each side and a second in the back (provided I can figure out a way to attach them so the passengers don't kick 'em) should fix my dark interior issue.... If I can't figure out a way to attach them under the seats, I guess I'll have a second set fr under the hood or something (shrug). Both cathode pairs were only $7 a pair so if I end up with a second set that's no biggie.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
jebernauer
2nd Gear
For a little driving ambiance! I installed 4 leds in the footwell area and wired them to the light illuminating the power point so they would be on with the parking lights. It was OK once I figured where to aim each LED so it didn't reflect as bad. It wasn't overpowering during driving like you might think. It was kinda soothing actually

Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Yep, they were all festoons that burnt out and the rest have been fine. Booo festoons - waste of money.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
That looks really nice
Thanks Thanks, looks better in person!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 AM
PuppetMaster2u
4th Gear
Ok.. so I'm a newbie w/ a 2006 hot orange cabrio.

I like the orange lighting that shoots down from the dome, and is in the door handle pulls. I'd like to change out all the white lights (dome, footwell, etc) to match those orange lights. Has anyone done this & have any tips, suggestions, do's/don'ts? Maybe even a part list that'll fit 2006 cabrio?

Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Puppet, this list is from page 2 of this thread and is for the hard top - these were from someone that went blue, but the bulb TYPES should be the same. The lamp number specifically refers to the list over at Autolumination.com:

Front Running Lights: #194 LED “wide angle” style color: ultra white

Front side turn indicators: #194 Silver coated #194 halogen bulbs

Wheel Arches: #194 LED “wide angle” style color: ultra white

License Plate: 39mm Festoon LED color: blue

Step/Entry Lights (under doors) #194 5 LED “Matrix” style LED color: blue

Foot wells #194 5 LED “Matrix” style LED color: blue

Glove Box #194 5 LED “Matrix” style LED color: blue

Map Lights #194 5 LED “Matrix” style LED color: blue

Dome Light-Center Bulb 39mm Festoon Led color: blue

Dome Light-Side Bulbs #194 5 LED “Matrix” style LED color: blue

Boot Light #194 5 LED “Matrix” style LED color: blue

Tail lamp Assembly #1156 24 LED “Matrix” style

Front Turn Indicators #1156 silver coated #1156 orange illuminating

As such, it's right for MOST of the bulbs in our cabrios, but not all. Specifically, the dome lamp and the map lights (maybe) are different form the list above... I have not yet been able to remove the light assembly in the cabrio (it's tricky), but the dome lamp is certainly NOT a "festoon" type light in that car, and I'm not 100% sure that the map lights are the same as in the hard top. Other than that, from what I can tell, all the other lamps are the same.

If/when I finally get the assembly down, I'll post up my findings re: the lights in the dome and map light sockets.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Colored LED Dome Lights