Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Just purchased 2010 MCSa. Does any one make a true paddle kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 AM
michaeldorian
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased 2010 MCSa. Does any one make a true paddle kit?

Does anyone know a company that makes a conversion kit that allows either DCT style paddles, left pull for downshift and right pull for upshift or a mod to the standard steptronic interface for a more natural left pull for down and right pull for up shift?

I love the ideas of paddles, but hate the steptronic shift style paddle/buttons.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:28 AM
nickminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by michaeldorian
Does anyone know a company that makes a conversion kit that allows either DCT style paddles, left pull for downshift and right pull for upshift or a mod to the standard steptronic interface for a more natural left pull for down and right pull for up shift?

I love the ideas of paddles, but hate the steptronic shift style paddle/buttons.
Get used to it. At first you might find it odd, but push/pull paddles allow you to operate with left/right hand at any steering angle at any given moment. Benefits:
- never any confusion during hard cornering. E.g. during a 90 degree handbrake turn.
- ability to operate in manual mode with single hand. For people using sport + manual mode on MSCa 99% of the time, this is really handy (let's say you need to grab a coffee/tissue in traffic)

Why 99%?
Driving in D you get tricky "throttle lag" and light steering. The only way to get the lag-free throttle back + better steering is to drive in sport mode, which means in automatic DS it will never give you 6th gear, so MCSa driver like me ending up driving 99% in sport + manual mode.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nickminir56
Get used to it. At first you might find it odd, but push/pull paddles allow you to operate with left/right hand at any steering angle at any given moment. Benefits:
- never any confusion during hard cornering. E.g. during a 90 degree handbrake turn.
- ability to operate in manual mode with single hand. For people using sport + manual mode on MSCa 99% of the time, this is really handy (let's say you need to grab a coffee/tissue in traffic)
What he said. Ive driven other vehicles with the usual L/R +/- paddle layout and quite frankly prefer the MINI setup.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No dis intended to U Creeve but I, for one, can think of better ways to spend $7,900 than for a new set of paddle shiters. Like Nick said, get used to it OP, it's not all that bad, and has many advantages over the +/- layout. You just need to keep an open mind and learn the system.

Also OP if you "hate" the layout, why did U buy the car?

Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence

No dis intended to U Creeve but I, for one, can think of better ways to spend $7,900 than for a new set of paddle shiters. Like Nick said, get used to it OP, it's not all that bad, and has many advantages over the +/- layout. You just need to keep an open mind and learn the system.

Also OP if you "hate" the layout, why did U buy the car?

I didn't say he should buy it. OP asked if anyone made a kit. M7 makes the only kit. Therefore that is the answer to the question.

Last edited by Creeve; 03-28-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
I, for one, can think of better ways to spend $7,900 than for a new set of paddle shiters.
It's more than paddles, it's a complete shifting system. It's also for installation on a manual transmission, not automatic.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
There is a paddle kit in Japan, but it is only meant for aftermarket steering wheels. With some surgery I'd imagine there must be some way to adapt it to the OEM wheel. roofaS installed it on an R53, but shifter switches are probably compatible in 2nd gen. He's in the UK and it cost him $700 for parts/shipping/taxes.

Discussed in this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ox-owners.html

Originally Posted by roofaS
Just had these fitted by 1320 last week :nice:
These are CF (real not fake) paddles with a beautifully engineered and made system that changes the Fisher Price OEM paddles to an F1 style right-Upshift/left-downshift.

I cannot tell you how happy I am with this mod - always thought this is how it should've been out of the factory. The shifts feel just so nice with a much shorter throw and a beautiful, smooth movement that makes the changes much, much quicker than with the OEM paddles.

Paddles and mechanism are from Japan and steering wheel is an OMP SuperQuadro.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
^WOW. I need that.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sketch
^WOW. I need that.
Same