Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Auxiliary Gauges Install DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 10:46 AM
gman_555
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've tried searching for it with no luck. Could anyone help please?

Old 10-17-2003, 11:31 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would like to know too.

btw, gman_55, how much did you pay for your factory aux guage?
Did you buy online? Im quoted $250 by the dealer.

with the budget i only have, i wanna buy a new shift **** too, so
anything lower would be great.

Old 10-17-2003, 11:56 AM
jmciver
2nd Gear
>>I've tried searching for it with no luck. Could anyone help please?

I would say yes, as long as you don't mind taking apart the interior of your car a bit and running wires through the firewall. I did a smiliar install on another car (my M3).

I just took delivery of my MCS today (woo hoo :evil: !!). I would not be surprised if the factory gauge kit is plug & play deal either. But I could not tell you for sure unless I saw some install literature.

Old 10-17-2003, 12:50 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
gman or kenchan,

I am thinking about selling my factory aux gauges and replacing them with new ones. The mounting plate is available as a separate part from the dealer, so this approach may save you some money on parts.

It may take me 2 weeks to figure out how to do this, but if you are not in a hurry and might be interested in buying my gauges, let me know and I will try to speed it up.

Old 10-17-2003, 01:52 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
jmb1- isn't the factory one plug and play? let me know how much you can sell them for and we can agree on a price. :smile:

Old 10-17-2003, 02:58 PM
ChiliCooperMark
4th Gear
The factory one is sold as a kit but is also available in individual parts. For example, I know that the mounting plate is available separately from MINI, part #82 94 0 015 951. Not sure what the price is but I'm sure you can order from Classic MINI (MCO sponsor). The 2 gauges themselves are going for 44 and 30 euros at Chromdesign.

I'll get to work on figuring out whether to sell mine and for how much and I will PM you. FYI, they look great but I'd prefer some with chrome bezels (instead of the stock matte black). It may take me a couple weeks to figure out if I can just re-bezel mine or if I have to buy new ones. Sorry I can't be more committal...don't blame you if you can't wait. :smile:

Old 10-17-2003, 07:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
jmb1- if you're just worried about the color, just get it painted!

Old 10-17-2003, 07:28 PM
BOLLX
2nd Gear
Have you seen the gauges on this site:

OEM-look aux gauges

I'd like to use these rather than the dealer-installed ones.

Old 10-19-2003, 02:46 PM
doomsdaybob
4th Gear
CCM5,
I contacted them about thier product and recieved this reply.

"Thank you for your email.

Please be advised at this time that Omori Meter North America has unexpectedly ceased operations for the time being. Our manufacturer in Japan has been unable to fulfill its contractual obligations to us, leaving us with little to no inventory of gauges and parts to provide our North American customer base with an appropriate level of service. At this time, new Omori Meter products will no longer be available in North America until the situation can be rectified. Currently, we are taking legal action on behalf of ourselves and our customers to restore distribution and provide the service you deserve.

If you are a current customer in need of service, we regret to inform you we will be unable to provide you assistance at this time. Since the manufacturer is unable to or simply refuses to supply us with replacement gauges and parts, we have no way of providing you warranty service. This is beyond our control, and we sincerely apologize. Please understand that Omori Meter Mfg, Co., Ltd, in Japan is solely responsible for the current situation we face, and that we have been left with no support from them just as you, our paying customers and distributors, have.

Regards,

Omori Meter North America
http://www.omori-na.com
Phone: 401-783-9029
Fax: 401-783-9031"

Old 10-19-2003, 04:22 PM
InfoSec
2nd Gear
All,

I am in the same boat as many MCS owners that have a need for the AUX gauges. Keep in mind that I would have been perfectly happy with having a Boost gauge as standard equipment on the MCS. But, some Interior Decorator at BMW felt otherwise and made me start my quest for the perfect gauge set. So, when I came across this posting I was thrilled, the Omori Gauges looked buffed, then I read the other posting saying Omori North America was no longer in business, because of the reluctance by Manufacturer’s inability to fulfill contractual obligations.

That just did not sound right. So I did a little digging … If you go to the website of the Omori Meter Mfg, Co., Ltd in Japan. You will see that they have a branch in the USA, appropriately called - Omori USA. They in turn have two distributors of their products in the USA, and yes the Cooper Gauge line is coming. Here are the URLs for the sites I visited; I hope it helps the community.

http://www.omoriusa.com
http://www.gruppe-s.com
http://www.j-spectuning.com

I plan to wait until I see these Omori Gauges hit the street; maybe I’ll order a set (Boost and Oil Pressure). I think that these Gauges should look great with the Alta Gauge Pod … What you think??

Cheers

Old 10-22-2003, 05:33 PM
BOLLX
2nd Gear
That's too bad about these gauges. I hope they can get it worked out. The picture isn't available anymore (and I didn't make a copy of it from their site), but for anyone that didn't see it...these gauges look GREAT (imo). They have the same numbers/needle/trim design as the MINI OEM gauges, but say "SMITHS" on them. I didn't notice what kind of backlighting they have (no pictures of them installed in a MINI, nor of illuminated gauges). I'm surprised MINI didn't go with the same look with their Aux Gauges? Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:32 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 482 Likes on 339 Posts
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ic=17611&8
Check out this forum. There is some information here on some gauges you may not have heard about, or seen.

Hope it helps.

Old 10-25-2003, 10:36 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The factory gage panel was 45.00 US ,Randy

Old 10-26-2003, 05:35 AM
rcase13
4th Gear
I love that OEM look analog clock... I would be getting that one for sure... Hope they reach an agreement that will benefit us all!!!