Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior OEM Cooper S Upper Gauge Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Cooper S Upper Gauge Kit

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...gauge-kit.html

I would have preferred boost and oil temp...oh well...I can always use the mounts to fit something custom.

Anyone know if it limits range of motion on the steering column?

- Matt

Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
M3NTAL
4th Gear
I like that one the most out of all the aftermarket kits, but it seems like not many people are using it. Anyone have photos of theirs?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:39 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Originally Posted by verveAbsolut

I would have preferred boost and oil temp...oh well...I can always use the mounts to fit something custom.

- Matt
Voltmeters seem to be common to some of the best gauge mount kits for some reason.

It appears to sit the gauges pretty close to the dash.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
I would agree...really hoping it doesn't affect column range.

- Matt

Old 10-31-2007, 05:32 AM
BGA
2nd Gear
I've had this gauge set for a couple of years. my $.02:

I don't think it significantly affects wheel tilt travel. I do not recall how far up the wheel goes with out the gauges installed - with them, I have 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the back of the tach and the padded dash lip when the wheel is at it's max height setting.
The inboard gauge housing - to the right of the wheel when you are driving - is touching the dash when the wheel is at max height setting - I have no scratches / damage resulting from that - the back of the gauge housing is a curved shape to match the dash contour.

A couple other things:
- the boost gauge moves all over the place as you accelerate and such the volt gauge just moves to about 14 and stays there.
- note the needles are not illuminated as they are on the standard MINI gauges ~ I switched to blue illumination to add some contrast at night.

- Also note there are a lot of other gauge set ups available (Outmotoring sells several of them).

I hope that helps.

Brian

Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
There must be a rule that kits that come with the right gauges are the wrong color. http://www.outmotoring.com/images/P/...ost_oil_md.jpg

Old 10-31-2007, 05:56 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Matt
I picked up one of these gauge pods used at MOTD this year (don't ask for how much, it will make you cry) and installed Autometer Ultralite Boost and Oil temp gauges in it at Detroit Tuned. I love the look of it and it has not affected the steering column motion a bit. (I'm 6'2" so that was a concern for me). The boost gauge is really kind of useless after the initial install and I wish I had put an oil pressure gauge in instead. I may still. Hope this helps....

Old 10-31-2007, 08:20 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Wow...thank you all for the responses...answered my question as to affecting steering wheel tilt (none).

Yeah, boost I can deal with...the voltmeter really bothers me; after all, what is the point unless you're planning on putting in, or have something, that puts serious strain on the electrical system. Oil temp would let me know when I'm good to mash the fun pedal on warm up. Ideally, I'd love an OEM looking 4-way setup with oil temp, oil pressure, EGT, and...something else cool .

Again, thanks for the response guys.

- Matt

Old 11-01-2007, 05:01 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...thank you all for the responses...answered my question as to affecting steering wheel tilt (none).

Ideally, I'd love an OEM looking 4-way setup with oil temp, oil pressure, EGT, and...something else cool .

- Matt
I think the Scangauge II might be worth looking at then.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Too bad they don't sell the pod without the gauges.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
BGA
2nd Gear
Too bad they don't sell the pod without the gauges.

pods with out the gauges: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...pod_mount.html

ALTA offers a pod ~ and probably others do too - this cravenspeed set up look very flexible (iPod mount capability too)

Note that the OEM gauge set originally referenced in this thread (the one that I have) - those gauges match the background / face color of the tach and speedo (grey / silver). And the illumination that comes with it is orange ~ just remember that the needles do not light up. The included gauges are Stewart Warner sourced - I think the only thing custom about them is the Cooper S logo on their faces.

Brian

Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
mcs22004
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BGA
pods with out the gauges: http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...pod_mount.html

ALTA offers a pod ~ and probably others do too - this cravenspeed set up look very flexible (iPod mount capability too)

Note that the OEM gauge set originally referenced in this thread (the one that I have) - those gauges match the background / face color of the tach and speedo (grey / silver). And the illumination that comes with it is orange ~ just remember that the needles do not light up. The included gauges are Stewart Warner sourced - I think the only thing custom about them is the Cooper S logo on their faces.

Brian
I was referring to the oem-looking pod rather than the widely available frankenpods.

Is it difficult to see the needles at night?

The gauges look similar to the 2 1/16" Competition gauges:
http://www.sw-performance.com/upload/114537.jpg

I could be wrong, but it appears that this same item is currently listed at $276.25 at the dealer.
http://www.trademotion.com/sfimages/...Image30587.jpg

Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
They are different...the OEM one is the only one which replaces the black panel below the tach...all the other, to my knowledge, bolt to the back of the tach instead.

If you're interested, MiniMania has the official install instructions available on their site. You can see the difference in install there.

- Matt

Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
They are different...the OEM one is the only one which replaces the black panel below the tach...all the other, to my knowledge, bolt to the back of the tach instead.

If you're interested, MiniMania has the official install instructions available on their site. You can see the difference in install there.

- Matt
Thanks. They have better pictures as well:
http://new.minimania.com/imagesbig/nmi7625.jpg
http://new.minimania.com/imagesbig/nmi7625a.jpg

Doc:
http://new.minimania.com/images/inst...7625_INSTR.pdf

Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
BGA
2nd Gear
I was referring to the oem-looking pod rather than the widely available frankenpods.
I meant no offense - and I agree that the OEM pod looks, well ... more like OEM
Is it difficult to see the needles at night?
To me, it is not as easy to see their needles at night ....
conversely, with their darker needles, they are a little easier to see during the day.
I think the blue LEDs give good contrast to see the needles much better at night than the std. orange illumination. And I am quite happy with the way they make the dash look.

Last edited by BGA; 11-01-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:47 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
I think I may go with two options...the first of which being the ScanGauge II. BigDaddy posted it earlier; after doing some research I am quite fascinated now.

If they made the OEM mount alone available, I would go with the ScanGauge II and Oil Temp/Pressure in a heartbeat, and stick the ScanGauge in my new handy-dandy parcel shelf.

On that note, anybody know of any way to get the OEM mounting piece alone? I can't believe the only way to get it is to buy the full gauge set-up. What if you had this installed at the dealer and they broke just that one piece? I can't believe they would re-buy the whole package much to their loss. Part number has to be somewhere...

- Matt

Old 11-01-2007, 02:59 PM
mcs22004
5th Gear
I think I may go with two options...the first of which being the ScanGauge II. BigDaddy posted it earlier; after doing some research I am quite fascinated now.

If they made the OEM mount alone available, I would go with the ScanGauge II and Oil Temp/Pressure in a heartbeat, and stick the ScanGauge in my new handy-dandy parcel shelf.

On that note, anybody know of any way to get the OEM mounting piece alone? I can't believe the only way to get it is to buy the full gauge set-up. What if you had this installed at the dealer and they broke just that one piece? I can't believe they would re-buy the whole package much to their loss. Part number has to be somewhere...

- Matt
The install doc only references one part number: 82 94 0 393 994.