Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Aftermarket race seats, no warning lights!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket race seats, no warning lights!

Finally! Maybe I'm the first to achieve this, but I finished installing 2 Sparco Evo2 race seats (fixed back) in my '05 MCS and so far, no warning lights! Talk about difficult...
Anyway, here's my solution. I fabbed up 2 resistor packs--4 high power (10watt) resistors to get 3.91ohm, and shunted them across the seat airbag wires under the seat, both driver and passenger. With only the driver's side installed, I got no airbag warning light. But when I did the passenger side, I got the airbag warning light (the large red one in the center speedo) as well as the passenger airbag off warning light on the roof liner near the rear vision mirror. So I cut the weight sensor out of the passenger seat (literally, I had to cut it out...) and installed it under the padding on the Sparco, connected it and NO LIGHTS.

I would NOT recommend this be done at home... I will post photos on Monday.

cheers,

Old 07-14-2007, 02:38 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
Finally! Maybe I'm the first to achieve this, but I finished installing 2 Sparco Evo2 race seats (fixed back) in my '05 MCS and so far, no warning lights! Talk about difficult...
Anyway, here's my solution. I fabbed up 2 resistor packs--4 high power (10watt) resistors to get 3.91ohm, and shunted them across the seat airbag wires under the seat, both driver and passenger. With only the driver's side installed, I got no airbag warning light. But when I did the passenger side, I got the airbag warning light (the large red one in the center speedo) as well as the passenger airbag off warning light on the roof liner near the rear vision mirror. So I cut the weight sensor out of the passenger seat (literally, I had to cut it out...) and installed it under the padding on the Sparco, connected it and NO LIGHTS.

I would NOT recommend this be done at home... I will post photos on Monday.

cheers,
Thanks Phil.

I have those exact seats but could never get rid of the epassenger side lights due to the weight sensor. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
DrPhilGandini
Photos

As promised, here are some photos of the install. The first shows the brackets and wiring with resistor pack to dummy the seat airbags. Both seats have them, and a resistor pack for each works to avoid any warning lights.
The passenger seat has a weight sensor in it that cannot be worked around without some serious understanding of the circuitry involved. I removed the weight sensor from the factory seat and installed it under the padding on the Sparco, as the photo shows. When connected it prevents any warning lights from showing.

cheers,

Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why didn't I think of that?

'Cuz you have a degree in psychology?

Seriously, thanks a bunch!

Old 07-16-2007, 07:43 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the seatbelts transfer over to the new base ok?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by PGT
the seatbelts transfer over to the new base ok?
Ah, not exactly...
I have a little write up on my web.
http://gandini.unm.edu/PGpages/Interests/Seats.htm
The stock seat belt female is mounted to the seat, not the rails, because the seat raises and lowers, so the seat belt moves with the seat. I had to cut the threaded socket out of the stock seat frame and drill and mount it on the Brey-Krause brackets. No instructions (actually not even any bolts--had to supply them all myself!) The problem with this solution is that a racing harness requires a separate belt clamp to be mounted to the center tunnel, and there's not much room there. I think I can adapt my Schroth harness to work with the clamp and seat that I have shown. Ultimately though you'd want a roll cage and a permanently mounted harness. Not too daily driver, however.
Ultimately, I got in the "kit" the seats and the brackets, and some papers called installation instructions. I ended up NOT using the HowTo here on NAM, nor the instructions and made it all up as I went. The only thing I copied was the 4 ohm resistor (note, a poster reported that a 3.3ohm resistor did not work).
I will add more to my webpage when time allows.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:57 PM
PGT
Banned
ok. that's good to know. I'd have thought by now that vendors here who sell Recaro's, etc would have come up with a solution. The MINI begs for better support....I'm considering selling my English Leather interior and getting real seats

Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 PM
PGT
Banned
do you destroy the factory seat by removing the weight sensor? also, could you list the parts for the resistors please (qty and value and wiring config)? I'm about to do this on my car in the next week or so and want to start gathering parts....mainly interested in the airbag lights if the weight sensor requires destructive measures to remove.