How To Interior/Exterior :: Replacing Speedo and Tach Gauge Faces With Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blalor
Do you have them installed? I do, and it's *easy* to miss the lights on the speedometer. Like the flat tire indicator. You have to really look for it during the daytime.
Hmmmm.... I actually disagree - I have them installed on both my tach and my speedo, and I've never missed ANY of my warning lights.

It's true that the graphic isn't a full "circle" like the OEM gauge face - the Outmotoring face is more of a cut-out shape. The SLIGHT (and I do mean slight) reduction in "glow area" is well worth it for the cleaner-look, IMHO, and I very much doubt that you'd miss an idiot light when you needed to see it, I really do.

Some of the lights are actually BETTER with the replacement faces in my experience - for example, I saw a LOT of my traction-control warning light this winter, and the shape of the warning light was MUCH easier pon the eyes, particularly at night, than the big, glowing circle blinking on and off every time my wheels slipped a bit on snow or ice. Might be a preference thing, but MY preference is definitely the cleaner look and the more elegant, "window style" warning shapes.

But, if it worries you, swapping them back is just as easy as the initial installation, and you should be able to re-sell the gauges for only a small loss to someone else - just save the 3M sticky tape backing material so the gauges won't stick to the packaging when you re-ship them. Using the 3M tape really helps with light leaks (the stock gauges were sprayed with a mild adhesive at the factory to seal the light behind the gauges).

OR, if you're new to the replacement gauges and you're less than 100% sure of the idiot light visibility, install them WITHOUT peeling off the sticky tape backing and run with them for a few weeks. if you end up liking them, crack open the gauge and stick them down more permanently.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Andy Simpson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the clean simple look of the Outmotoring ones, but I eventually decided I liked the factory style of Cockpit Specialties ones more.

I opted for their grey finish and changed the needles to white to match the lettering

Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Sin MINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagoX
...just save the 3M sticky tape backing material so the gauges won't stick to the packaging when you re-ship them. Using the 3M tape really helps with light leaks (the stock gauges were sprayed with a mild adhesive at the factory to seal the light behind the gauges).
Hmmm, I didn't get tape with mine, and the instructions made no mention of tape? I smeared a little Elmer's glue around the edge and then wiped it off. Just enough tack to hold them in place. So far so good. But I'm a little cranky now that I know.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:44 AM
dimini
6th Gear
idiot light visability update:

I have black Outmotoring faceplates and today I did a little test to see whether the idiot lights adequately visable during daylight hours. Answer?

Yes! You can clearly seem them, even on a bright day. What you can't see easily on a sunny day is the blue high beam indicator light, in the tach, and the green cruise control indicator light, also located in the tach--but who cares about either of those? Not me.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Grind
1st Gear
subscribed

Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 AM
kostac
Neutral
hi, i am stuck so in need of some help..

i read the guide about the speedo face change.
i myself need to remove the center dash trim in order to paint the speedo ring, but i got stuck as althought i unclipped all the dash pieces (3 clips on driver side, 2 on the center and 3 on the passenger), i can't pull them off.
they are held very tight on the dash and i am afraid that if i pull any harder i may break something.

is there a trick or something i should know?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
It's been a long time since I've done this - but I seem to recall there are screws along the bottom edge - pointing up - did you get those?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
kostac
Neutral
Originally Posted by paulgraz
It's been a long time since I've done this - but I seem to recall there are screws along the bottom edge - pointing up - did you get those?

thanks for the reply but i managed to get them off yesterday.

there are no screws other than the two in the center dash trim. the problem was that there where cloth clips also on the top of the dash trim other than the ones in the bottom

Old 08-02-2012, 11:35 PM
swdsc
1st Gear
I would like to make my own faces for the speedometer and tach. Is there any company that can make them custom for me or any diy?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Doc_Savage
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by swdsc
I would like to make my own faces for the speedometer and tach. Is there any company that can make them custom for me or any diy?
+1 on that

I'd Like some red hints in the black\grey union jack

And a solution for the chrono package

If someone as a template or...

Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 AM
PeachSnobbler
1st Gear
Aaron, i have an rf3 mcs jcw from canada. It's in kph, i live in the states and was wondering of I bought a mph faceplste, would the needle woulda match the speeds. From my understanding they will.

also. Do your faceplate gauges all say outmotoring below the Digital read out or is that only for the demo model? thanx

Old 08-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Doc_Savage
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PeachSnobbler
Aaron, i have an rf3 mcs jcw from canada. It's in kph, i live in the states and was wondering of I bought a mph faceplste, would the needle woulda match the speeds. From my understanding they will.

also. Do your faceplate gauges all say outmotoring below the Digital read out or is that only for the demo model? thanx
Sorry not Aaron but maybe I can help

Yeah they should fit fine as long as you mark carefuly the position of the needle and place it exactly at the same place where closing up after the surgery. The analog speedo (Tach) doesnt know mph from kph he just rotate his "heart" accordingly to signal he receives which translates by the "Arm", needle pointing the right thing you could actualy run Nautic miles and thach could still be acurate IF the faceplate was gradated the right way.

So if the outmotoring faceplate his well gradated (wich should be) and as long as the needle is put back exactly where it was taken of you should good.

There where no difference in speedo gradation between U.S and CAN as far as I could find out.

As for the Outmotoring mention I couldnt find any pics where it was shown, at least for R53....

Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 PM
PeachSnobbler
1st Gear
^^^ thanx, good to know it will work considering I already ordered the face plate. Aaron returned my call from outmotoring also assuring me everything will work. Very excited to perform this mod. I'll post pics as soon as I get it done.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
ChristianD
Neutral
Originally Posted by 03Indigo
here are the 2 different face plates side by side....totally different styles, retro and modern. Both seem to be done well, just comes down to perference and personal style.

hey man where can I order that blue guage face with retro numbers, and do you know if they are available for the R56?

sry if I missed the answer in the thread.

thanks.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 PM
PeachSnobbler
1st Gear
to EVERYONE who is complaining about OM's logo being on the faceplate... that was a first gen faceplate. I just talked to Aaron on the phone and he explained to me that they do NOT have the logo on them anymore. i will have pics up of mine very soon

Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
PeachSnobbler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Foxtrot_Xray
Hold up there - one issue isn't their fault. The other can easily be fixed.

The hash-marks on top not lighting up are because of the white facia under the face. On Canadian and UK models, the blue High-Beam indicator is there. Since on US models, there's nothing there to light up (it's between the 70 and 80 MPH marks) they used the same facia for all markets. There's a small cutout to block dash lighting from lighting up the high-beam symbol. Unfortunately, short of chanign the hash marks, there's no way to change that without taking out the little seperator. (Also possible. I'd prefer that over OM modifying the hash marks!)

The light leaking around the indicator lights at the bottom - on the stock OEM faces, there is a sticky glue-like substance. This holds the facia tight against the white facia, to prevent light from leaking like that. Obviously, OM's faces did not have this, so it isn't sitting tight against the white facia and light is leaking around. An easy fix? Get double-sided tape (not the thick fuzzy stuff!) and run it along the back of your facia before putting it on. When you put it on, press it down to the tape holds the facia against it.

Personally, I LOVE the design!! I'd already have ordered my set, if it weren't for the logo. Sorry, OM, the logo is what's making me iffy. :/

Also, 03Indigo has a point - the bottom of the facia will need to be cut (another reason to have the double-side sticky tape, it'll then hold down the facia since the tabs won't be there any more) to allow light for the bottom needles. (The main Speed and RPM needls don't need it, since the light for those comes up through the center hole in the facia.
Originally Posted by Doc_Savage
Sorry not Aaron but maybe I can help

Yeah they should fit fine as long as you mark carefuly the position of the needle and place it exactly at the same place where closing up after the surgery. The analog speedo (Tach) doesnt know mph from kph he just rotate his "heart" accordingly to signal he receives which translates by the "Arm", needle pointing the right thing you could actualy run Nautic miles and thach could still be acurate IF the faceplate was gradated the right way.

So if the outmotoring faceplate his well gradated (wich should be) and as long as the needle is put back exactly where it was taken of you should good.

There where no difference in speedo gradation between U.S and CAN as far as I could find out.

As for the Outmotoring mention I couldnt find any pics where it was shown, at least for R53....
now my new question: since the canadian/uk models (i own a canadian rf3) have a high-beam indicator led behind the faceplate at the top 160km/75mph, will i still be able to use that indicator or is it going to be a problem?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Doc_Savage
2nd Gear
now my new question: since the canadian/uk models (i own a canadian rf3) have a high-beam indicator led behind the faceplate at the top 160km/75mph, will i still be able to use that indicator or is it going to be a problem?
Ok so I just get your facts straight, your car his a R53 JCW with the Canadian package?

I Believe that that OM has updated their design with gen2 of the gauge faces (As well as not saying outmotoring) If what I could gather is true then...

YES the high beam Light indicator just above the 120kph mark should still be visible as you can see if you look at the enlarge picture in this thread

http://www.lohen.co.uk/shop/proddeta...eFaces&cat=108

the high beam indicator his slightly translucent (as are the other ones)

the web site his U.K. but the pic is for the MPH one

BTW I dont think that you get much difference between the Canadian and US package apart from KPH and MPH, I know that here in Canada we have heated windshield washer nozzle and mirrors but apart from that.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Chris

Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Doc_Savage
2nd Gear
Here's a pic (hope this works)

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Replacing Speedo and Tach Gauge Faces With Pics!-gaugefacesgrey.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 PM
PeachSnobbler
1st Gear
Ok so I just get your facts straight, your car his a R53 JCW with the Canadian package?

I Believe that that OM has updated their design with gen2 of the gauge faces (As well as not saying outmotoring) If what I could gather is true then...

YES the high beam Light indicator just above the 120kph mark should still be visible as you can see if you look at the enlarge picture in this thread

http://www.lohen.co.uk/shop/proddeta...eFaces&cat=108

the high beam indicator his slightly translucent (as are the other ones)

the web site his U.K. but the pic is for the MPH one

BTW I dont think that you get much difference between the Canadian and US package apart from KPH and MPH, I know that here in Canada we have heated windshield washer nozzle and mirrors but apart from that.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Chris
i meant 120 kpm my bad. and yes that looks like everything should be ok from the looks of that pic. i should be receiving my om gauges in the mail any day now. Thanx to everyone on this thread, it has been very helpful.

~Bryant

Old 09-02-2012, 05:18 AM
Doc_Savage
2nd Gear
i meant 120 kpm my bad. and yes that looks like everything should be ok from the looks of that pic. i should be receiving my om gauges in the mail any day now. Thanx to everyone on this thread, it has been very helpful.

~Bryant
Sorry if I came across a bit like a pr i ck about the facts thing At first I was not to sure about the rF3 thing I tought It coudlve been a special JCW issue or something so I searched about it and couldnt find info. So I just wanted to be sure about it being R53.

It's been no problem at all, glad if I was of any help to you.
After all I think that why theres a forum in the first place exchange knowlege and help so..

BTW post a feedback of your install when you do it and a post a pic to if you can It will confirm everything about that faceplate, that would be great if someone else stumbles onto this thread in the future

Chris

Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM
PeachSnobbler
1st Gear
Sorry if I came across a bit like a pr i ck about the facts thing At first I was not to sure about the rF3 thing I tought It coudlve been a special JCW issue or something so I searched about it and couldnt find info. So I just wanted to be sure about it being R53.

It's been no problem at all, glad if I was of any help to you.
After all I think that why theres a forum in the first place exchange knowlege and help so..

BTW post a feedback of your install when you do it and a post a pic to if you can It will confirm everything about that faceplate, that would be great if someone else stumbles onto this thread in the future

Chris

i have a canadian mini cooper s hardtop with a jcw performance package upgrade. maybe that makes a lil more sense to your confusion? and its all good no worries

... and this forum has saved me a million times over. very true.

i plan on documenting the whole process. hopefully it will help somebody as much as this how to helped me