How To Interior/Exterior :: Replacing Speedo and Tach Gauge Faces With Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:32 AM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
Also, @ Outmotoring: you should work on the diffusement patterns, some light leaks out to the "idiot lights" on the bottom and it seems theres a couple hashmarks unlit at the top (between 70-80)
Hold up there - one issue isn't their fault. The other can easily be fixed.

The hash-marks on top not lighting up are because of the white facia under the face. On Canadian and UK models, the blue High-Beam indicator is there. Since on US models, there's nothing there to light up (it's between the 70 and 80 MPH marks) they used the same facia for all markets. There's a small cutout to block dash lighting from lighting up the high-beam symbol. Unfortunately, short of chanign the hash marks, there's no way to change that without taking out the little seperator. (Also possible. I'd prefer that over OM modifying the hash marks!)

The light leaking around the indicator lights at the bottom - on the stock OEM faces, there is a sticky glue-like substance. This holds the facia tight against the white facia, to prevent light from leaking like that. Obviously, OM's faces did not have this, so it isn't sitting tight against the white facia and light is leaking around. An easy fix? Get double-sided tape (not the thick fuzzy stuff!) and run it along the back of your facia before putting it on. When you put it on, press it down to the tape holds the facia against it.

Personally, I LOVE the design!! I'd already have ordered my set, if it weren't for the logo. Sorry, OM, the logo is what's making me iffy. :/

Also, 03Indigo has a point - the bottom of the facia will need to be cut (another reason to have the double-side sticky tape, it'll then hold down the facia since the tabs won't be there any more) to allow light for the bottom needles. (The main Speed and RPM needls don't need it, since the light for those comes up through the center hole in the facia.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
The logo is going away.... don't worry.
Also, 4 colors and 1-2 simple designs like a grey/grey UJ and a checkerboard....

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
How about a regular UJ as well?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:39 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
OutMotoring... thanks for responding to customer feedback on the logo! Are you planning to do a Nav/Chrono version?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:56 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the needles are lighting up - it might just look like they are not in the photo. Let me check again.... I wa sso busy making sure my focus was on that I might not have noticed...

I really like the gauges illuminated as well (even with the dim spots). They're very impressive in the dark, and equally striking in the daytime, with the light numerals on dark (IMHO, anyway).

The light leaking around the indicator lights at the bottom - on the stock OEM faces, there is a sticky glue-like substance. This holds the facia tight against the white facia, to prevent light from leaking like that. Obviously, OM's faces did not have this, so it isn't sitting tight against the white facia and light is leaking around. An easy fix? Get double-sided tape (not the thick fuzzy stuff!) and run it along the back of your facia before putting it on. When you put it on, press it down to the tape holds the facia against it.
YES - I can confirm this... The OEM face WAS stuck to the fascia. I assumed it was just because it had been in there for months, but the use of a light adhesive makes sense to me.

How *I* would do it is not use tape, but rather I'd take a SMALL ammount of rubber cement (like just enough to dampen a Q-tip) and I'd trail it around the outer edge and high spots on the facia. Even if the rubber cement dries before you can get the face on (and I'd actually recommend you let it dry first, so that it doesn't smear), it should provide enough tackiness to hold the plate firmly against the light dams like the OEM face. I'd worry about using tape - it would definitely work, but it might be TOO sticky, and if you ever want to reverse the MOD, you could run into trouble. Rubber cement though should only make a weak bond on the type of plastic the face is made from.

I'm not sure of the light leak is bad enough to justify re-opening the speedo (it really is more noticible in the photo than in real life, trust me), but if I had it to do all over agan, I might add a touch of adhesive to the fascia to correct the minor issue.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
OM - Many cheers! You just got a sale from me! Thanks for listening!

I really like the light on dark face, personally. One of the reasons I wanted the GP faces so badly.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
How *I* would do it is not use tape, but rather I'd take a SMALL ammount of rubber cement (like just enough to dampen a Q-tip) and I'd trail it around the outer edge and high spots on the facia. Even if the rubber cement dries before you can get the face on (and I'd actually recommend you let it dry first, so that it doesn't smear), it should provide enough tackiness to hold the plate firmly against the light dams like the OEM face. I'd worry about using tape - it would definitely work, but it might be TOO sticky, and if you ever want to reverse the MOD, you could run into trouble. Rubber cement though should only make a weak bond on the type of plastic the face is made from.
I'd be worried about it getting permanently stuck. It's something I'm gonna be looking at tho, definately. oH, and not having sticky stuff wasn't a knock on OM - since the other ons (Cockpit Specialities) didn't have it either.

Me.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Turcicus
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OutMotoring
The logo is going away.... don't worry.
Also, 4 colors and 1-2 simple designs like a grey/grey UJ and a checkerboard....
If Hyper Blue is one of the colors, you've got yourself another sale.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:31 AM
Uncl3
5th Gear
Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Turcicus
5th Gear
ImagoX/Matt - any idea when OutMotoring will have these available? I'm anxious to see a price point.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Uncl3
5th Gear
I'm anxiously waiting too.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here.....any chance i can pick these up at one of the next modfests, aaron? They look great. Thumbsup for keeping things simple and clean

Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
I have a few tweaks to make with the speedo but we should be on schedule to have a few of each of the 5 colors and patterns in 3 weeks.

Pricing will be $99.95- $115.95 depending on the design. That will be for a set of two faces. The NAV / Chrono cars will be about 3 more weeks behind and should be in the same price range..

aaron,

Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
We plan to have:

British Racing Green
One of the blues (most likely Indy)
Red
Charcoal Grey (as shown)
Black
Black/grey Checkered Flag (colors can be customized directly by the manufacturer for an upcharge)
Black/grey Union Jack (colors can be customized directly by the manufacturer for an upcharge)

Any other color combo will available directly from the manufacturer which will utilize our template for the design. Once we get closer we will post specifics on how to do the custom options.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

Any other color combo will available directly from the manufacturer which will utilize our template for the design. Once we get closer we will post specifics on how to do the custom options.
How custom could we get? Could we change the font if we have the capabilities to offer you the necessary vector files?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
Nice! I hope you either left the tickmarks as they were, or CAN for those of us who like the design and don't mind a little dremmeling. For example:

These are the CS faces, I 'fixed' the unused ticmarks on the tach - the blue ones, over the reds. And all in all, I like the look. (Since these were based on the factory ones, no change was needed to the speedo at the top, 75mph spot).

Either case, can't wait.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:50 AM
scandune
4th Gear
where are these on the outmotoring website?

Old 02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by scandune
where are these on the outmotoring website?
they wont be ready for another 3 weeks he said

Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Turcicus
5th Gear
We plan to have:
I respectfully request Hyper

Old 03-01-2007, 06:19 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want blue LEDs in my gauges...

Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
We plan to have:

British Racing Green
Red
Charcoal Grey (as shown)
Does Charcoal Grey = Anthracite?

Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
yesir

Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
yesir
Sorry to be a pain, but is it an exact match for anthracite, or just a close grey?

Old 03-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Frodo
3rd Gear
OutMotoring,
Will you sell them seperately (looking at just the Spedo) and will you offer KPH (for our Canadian and Europe friends). I am stationed overseas and Kph will be needed for inspection.

Side note: wish these came out about a year ago, I wouldn't have spent so much time and money matching silver in my gauges

Looks great so far,

Frodo

P.S. Indi Blue gets my vote...if not black is fine

Old 03-03-2007, 03:06 PM
PGT
Banned
installed my tach today and painted the bezel satin black as well as the needle cover. I'm digging how it looks.....on the the speedo tomorrow hopefully.

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Replacing Speedo and Tach Gauge Faces With Pics!