How To Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:44 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TwOMINIs
I did this mod...thanks to the directions posted here...but I liked the looks of the gauge on the right...but....be warned...it took some "persuasion" that left a gouge in my dash...ouch . My steerign wheel tilt has been effected as well..here are some pictures. After all of that i'm thinking of moving it to the other side...What do you think...?. see the gouge ouch..

Ouch on the dash. A solution is the autometer extended bracket with a little fabrication. Through out this post you will see it discussed and fabrication diagram. In the pic below - notice that with the extended bracket where the cup ring is located or ends up. Not only do you get a better grip on the cup but allows for some forward/back adjustability so you can keep the cup away from the dash. This part is under 10 bucks, its needs to be cut (aluminum) so it can be done with a hacksaw, metal file (dremel is easiest) and then a cab of paint.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inimmini
I bought the autometer gauge, cup, and standard bracket to do this mod, and I have to say I am completely baffled as to how several of you have been able to use one long bolt that goes thru the cup bracket and then on into the existing tach hole. For one thing, the tach screws (at least on my '05) are a very odd size -- as best I can figure they are M5 with a pitch of 1.25mm, whereas the threads for the bracket mount are 1/4-20. Also, the tach screw holes are vertical, but the bracket mounting screw has to be angled quite a bit to reach the tach hole. So it seems an impossible situation, unless you just jam the screw in there and hope for the best.

If I could just FIND a long enough (say 40mm) M5 x 1.25 bolt, I could drill holes in the end of the bracket and attach it that way. Why did MINI pick such weird threads for mounting the tach?!?
With the extended bracket you can drill your own hole to get it vertically over the stock tach screw hole. Since I used 1 screw, I added double stick tape to the bracket to help hold it in place. On the screw, I found the lentgh that I needed, close in thread and then forced it.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
The dashboard has more space to fit and tilt the gauge on the left side of the tach than on the right side.

That's why I installed mine on the left side. I feel very sorru for your dashboard TwoMINIs.

On my car, I can still fully adjust the steering wheel's tilt.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:09 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inimmini
I bought the autometer gauge, cup, and standard bracket to do this mod, and I have to say I am completely baffled as to how several of you have been able to use one long bolt that goes thru the cup bracket and then on into the existing tach hole. For one thing, the tach screws (at least on my '05) are a very odd size -- as best I can figure they are M5 with a pitch of 1.25mm, whereas the threads for the bracket mount are 1/4-20. Also, the tach screw holes are vertical, but the bracket mounting screw has to be angled quite a bit to reach the tach hole. So it seems an impossible situation, unless you just jam the screw in there and hope for the best.

If I could just FIND a long enough (say 40mm) M5 x 1.25 bolt, I could drill holes in the end of the bracket and attach it that way. Why did MINI pick such weird threads for mounting the tach?!?
I ended up drilling out the threads for the left hole of the tach mount with a 5 mm drill, and tapping the hole for M6 with a 1 mm pitch (a more common thread). I used Outbackbob's suggestion of inverting the stnd bracket, and grinding it off a bit to allow a closer fit to the back of the tach. Then I drilled a hole in the bottom flange of the bracket (at the very far edge away from the boost gauge side), and used a 6 x 30mm cap screw to mount the bracket in the new tach hole. Since the tach holes are recessed into the plastic cover behind the tach, I made a stand-off (~1/2" long) from a piece of copper tubing with some PVC tubing glued inside so it fit snugly around the 6mm screw. To get the right slant, I cut one end of the stand-off at a slant. Everything worked out pretty well. With the 6mm cap screw, you can really tighten down on the bracket, so it is solid even with just the one fastener. The hole in the tach needed to be reamed out just a bit for the 6mm screw.

Although I made the standard bracket work, I'm guessing that using the extended bracket and mount to the back of the tach ends up being a lot less trouble.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:19 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
I moved the gauge to the Left side even though I preferred the look on the Right...( on the right it was impeding the steering wheel tilt)...in the process of moving it the cheap #%*&@ plastic hose broke where it had kinked earier...grrrr....
Question...has anyone used a different type of hose/ ie braided metal hose or otherwise and if so what size and at what cost...personally I think that the plastic hose is crap, prone to kinks and breakage.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:43 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
2 weeks ago, I did a friend's MINI boost gauge. He has the Chrono Pack. (which brings the speedo on the steering wheel column).

The mounting cup screws right behind the tach and looks great!

I thought it might be good to let people know about it!

Old 05-19-2006, 10:35 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
2 weeks ago, I did a friend's MINI boost gauge. He has the Chrono Pack. (which brings the speedo on the steering wheel column).

The mounting cup screws right behind the tach and looks great!

I thought it might be good to let people know about it!
How about some pics?

Old 06-10-2006, 08:55 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ///ACS330Ci
How about some pics?
He was supposed to post some pics 2 weeks ago... I'll contact him and ask him to post some!

Old 06-10-2006, 06:10 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
i was just about to ask if theres any problem installing it on the right side instead of the left and now i see that even though it think it would look better on the right side the left side is better for room and wheel tilt. Very cool, im going to be trying this mod soon

Old 06-26-2006, 08:21 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got it!!

It's the wire sticking out of the harness... the gray/red one!

I taped this wire and the gauge stayed lit even after the car was shut off, plus it didn't dim when I dim the dash lights........ I'm stuck!!

Old 06-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by S-Driver
I taped this wire and the gauge stayed lit even after the car was shut off, plus it didn't dim when I dim the dash lights........ I'm stuck!!
There are TWO grey w/ pink strip wires in that harness! Factory humor . And like me you did not pick the right one, grasshopper .

Just find the other one and your problem will be solved.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
lol lol @ Factory humor.

I taped mine on one of the heated seats switch.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Ooooo.......I like that idea, or I'll try to tap into the actual dimmer switch if i can manage to get that out.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:28 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Know how to reset the boost warning light so that it comes on higher up? Mine comes on about 10/11 psi which fine for a stock MCS, but I have a 15% & 2% pulley which puts out about 16 psi.

This is a Autometer boost/vac gauge in the ProMini kit and has the warning and peak buttons.....

Old 06-28-2006, 04:03 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Ooooo.......I like that idea, or I'll try to tap into the actual dimmer switch if i can manage to get that out.
On my 2003 MCS, getting the dimmer switch out is fairly easy. Simply unscrew the 4 screws holding the speedometer and 2 vents. (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom, underneath)

Old 06-28-2006, 05:28 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
can someone do us a favour and post a pic to show where the wires/hoses from the boost gauge inside the car goes to.. before appearing under the bonnet..>???

Old 06-28-2006, 08:41 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Ok................I tapped the heated seat switch and all is well.

Skuzzy..........are you talking about where the wiring harness passes through the firewall into the engine compartment? Or do you mean from the actual gauges themselves to the firewall?

Old 06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skuzy
can someone do us a favour and post a pic to show where the wires/hoses from the boost gauge inside the car goes to.. before appearing under the bonnet..>???
Just a quick tip to run the hose from the inside to the engine bay...

When standing in from on your MINI, look behind the intake airbox, just a bit to the left of it, and you'll see a big red wire coming through the firewall... That's the positive wire going to the battery. Take a long screwdriver and punch a hole through that gommet. You'll see the screwdriver from under the dashboard and be able to attach the vacuum hose to it... Now just pull slowly the screwdriver from the engine bay and you'll get the hose through in no time!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Ok................I tapped the heated seat switch and all is well.

Skuzzy..........are you talking about where the wiring harness passes through the firewall into the engine compartment? Or do you mean from the actual gauges themselves to the firewall?
from the gauges to the firewall havent tried but i cant picutre how id hide the hose/wires from the top of the steering wheel going down..

Old 06-29-2006, 08:46 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Don't have a picture of it right now, but remove the speedo which is mounted on a small piece of plastic that covers up a channel that you can route the wires through. Cover back up and everything is hidden. Of course from there your under the dash so it's a short jump to the firewall. Will post a picture in a couple of days...........

Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 AM
minti
1st Gear
... just want to share my installation with metric unit [bar].
I already have the original instruments from BMW in the middle under the switches and aircondition/heating control. That's where I got power for illumination.

Attached Thumbnails Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install-boost.jpg  
Old 07-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
lol lol @ Factory humor.

I taped mine on one of the heated seats switch.
I gotta ask. What happens when you turn on the heated seats? does the gauge get warm and toasty as well?

I am able to control "DIMming" because I tapped into the dash light wires.

Sorry just couldn't help myself, I keep imaging that your boost guage begins to glow after a while .

Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
I gotta ask. What happens when you turn on the heated seats? does the gauge get warm and toasty as well?
LOL

When I put the heated seats, the gauge also make a "hands heater" as well... lol

Seriously, There is no problem with the dimmer wire on the heated seats switch. I've done 2 other gauges installs on that switch, for 2 MINI friends, and both also woth great!

Old 07-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
LOL

When I put the heated seats, the gauge also make a "hands heater" as well... lol
I new it ! LOL

Old 07-05-2006, 06:27 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
I just realized you are from Miami too...

Do you know if there is any MINI meets around here?

I moved in Miami 2 weeks ago and would really like to meet some people!

Quick Reply: How To Electrical :: AutoMeter Boost Gauge Install