How To R53 Drivetrain :: Devil's Own Water/Meth Install How-To!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamadx
bringing this back form the dead to amkea note. if you have the meth come on too soon you're actually losing power down low. if running a higher concentration of meth when injected at 5psi lets say youre not going to be running a rich mixture and might be robbing you of power. 7-8 psi should be good starting point of these cars. my last car while i was running meth i started the charge at 12 psi... but max boost was 26... when i started it at 5psi thinking it would help i watched my afr's go rich.. i tried tuning it out but it didnt work out well. there are write-ups about mixtures and when is a good time for injection etc but man is it a lot of reading. either way i believe i will be going with the DEvils Own kit soon... i had cooling mist on my last car. so its hard to jump to the devil lol
Just a added note , I have the Alky Control system and mine is set to 8lb as a starting point which seems to work out quite well for me .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 12-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Tamadx
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxmini
Just a added note , I have the Alky Control system and mine is set to 8lb as a starting point which seems to work out quite well for me .

Randy
M7 Tuning
i believe this is a better starting point than 5 psi

Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep - good points. I recently found a good local source for methanol. Now am running about 70% meth / 30% water, comes on around 7-8 psi and peaks at about 12-13 psi. Seems to work well - I only run it when it's warm out for cooling benefit. Haven't done a with vs. without dyno - but plan to do so in Feb.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am really thinking about geting either a Snow or Devil's own meth kit now.
Has anybody ever tried the Nitro booster that Snow sells? Any bad effects from it?

Blimey, did you ever get to the dyno?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Has anybody ever tried the Nitro booster that Snow sells? Any bad effects from it?
I added a bottle of that stuff when I was playing around with my meth kit on the dyno and it does NOTHING!
Did not see any gains....

Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
I am really thinking about geting either a Snow or Devil's own meth kit now.

Blimey, did you ever get to the dyno?
Got to the dyno... but one of my CV boots gave up the ghost before I could get my tune completed, so I never got to the with/without meth dyno test.... grrr.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:11 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Sorry to hear that Paul. I will add mine when I pick a system and get it in and tuned.

Gotta LOVE the little gremlins that come with modifying a car.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM
WRXD
1st Gear
I am bumping this thread because I am about to install the AEM water meth kit on my R53. My question is that AEM recommends installing the nozzle before the TB but almost every install I have seen on the R53 locates the nozzle post TB/supercharger/intercooler in the intake horn connected to the intake manifold. So in this case when the IM is in extreme vacuum the possibility exists to crack the check valve and pull in w/m off boost.

Has anyone ever run into this problem?

Old 05-16-2012, 02:49 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
It is best to remove and tap the nozzle into the I/C outlet horn. It's some work, but is the best option.

I could put up some pic's if you want to see the location.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
I beleive this is what **** was talking about . I have both the NOS and the Meth intakes on the drivers side horn.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Name:  P1000111.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  162.1 KB

Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 AM
WRXD
1st Gear
Yeah it seems like every install I've ever seen on the R53 puts the nozzle on the intake horn. The problem is that this location is after the throttle body. AEM only recommends their kit be installed before the throttle body. Apparently when the engine is at max vacuum it can crack open the check valve and pull fluid in. I am trying to find out what the cracking pressure of the check valve is but AEM tech support said it was '12-15psi' but was unsure what it was exactly.

I know the max vac I see on my car is -12.4psig

how would I check the crack pressure of a check valve?

Old 05-17-2012, 12:41 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WRXD
Yeah it seems like every install I've ever seen on the R53 puts the nozzle on the intake horn. The problem is that this location is after the throttle body. AEM only recommends their kit be installed before the throttle body. Apparently when the engine is at max vacuum it can crack open the check valve and pull fluid in. I am trying to find out what the cracking pressure of the check valve is but AEM tech support said it was '12-15psi' but was unsure what it was exactly.

I know the max vac I see on my car is -12.4psig

how would I check the crack pressure of a check valve?
I am not familiar with the AEM kit , is this Mini specific? Putting it before the TB on a Mini means that the meth will be passing thru both the SC and the inter cooler not optimal for metal longevity. A quality check valve will do the job. My particular kit is from Alky Control and have no problems with unintended fluid flow .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 07-04-2022, 08:44 PM
Serafin
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
[QUOTE=

I used the Headlight washer tank, with a Devil's Own self-sealing tank tap, which (SURPRISE!) fits the washer pump hole perfectly. No tank mods are necessary, if you're willing to disable your headlight washers [/QUOTE]

Bumping this.

did you have to replace the headlight washer reservoirs cap?

is the cap safe to use for meth ?

do methanol tanks need be vented cap?