How To R53 Drivetrain :: Devil's Own Water/Meth Install How-To!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:02 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
R53 Drivetrain :: Devil's Own Water/Meth Install How-To!

Since the other Devil's Own discussion thread has become quite a rambling general discussion of the current state of water/meth in general, I wanted to create a new thread focused specifically on installation of the DO system in 1st Gen MINIs. PLEASE help me keep this on topic of installation specific questions and issues - take all discussion on performance, pros/cons of various systems, other vendors' systems, etc. to the other sandbox:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ater-meth.html

I've completed my install and have a full detailed write-up on my blog. Read it for much more detail on how I did all this!

Here are some excerpts:

I used the Headlight washer tank, with a Devil's Own self-sealing tank tap, which (SURPRISE!) fits the washer pump hole perfectly. No tank mods are necessary, if you're willing to disable your headlight washers.

I fabbed a simple metal strap and used it to mount the pump in the passenger side cowl to an existing stud.

I installed a 2gph nozzle in the intercooler outlet horn, and am currently using the standard Devil's Own checkvalve.

The 2.5 bar progressive controller taps directly into the TMAP sensor pressure output wire:

I mounted the small controller unit in my euro parcel shelf:

And used a circuit tap to add a circuit to the footwell fuse panel:

The calibration of the controller dials matches what the ECU interprets as boost levels quite closely. I verified all this by mapping the voltage response curve of the TMAP sensor, and comparing the actual output voltage the controller is receiving to the boost levels reported via my ScanGauge. I have it set to start spraying at about 5psi, and to hit full volume at about 11-12 psi. This seems to work well so far. It'll be a little while before I do detailed performance testing on this. But my objective was to impact charge cooling using a relatively weak (35%) methanol solution at a low price, and this system seems to do that. This probably isn't the ultimate system for highly tuned track cars... but for many of us who spend much of our time at mid-RPMS on the street, this may be a good alternative.

AutoXCooper will be working with Devil's Own to put together kits with the right parts in the box for the MINI. Contact Dustin for more details.

The following 2 users liked this post by BlimeyCabrio:
92Worker (05-13-2021), Panzu (02-10-2022)
Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
motionmonk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool, Blimey... I may have to look into this too

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM
newbs49
Banned
Nice job and pic's. Hope this stay's on track.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
NOTDULL
2nd Gear
Great write up...Thanks.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:54 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I compliment you on a very sanitary and stealthy setup!

Running 35% methanol, do you find the car runs pretty rich when system is on and you are in boost? I thought that one should lean the car to compensate for the methanol.

Would such re-tuning compromise the tuning/reliability if one were to run out of methanol?

Can you "switch maps" on the fly for such eventuality?

Would there be benefit if one were to run water only?

Why did you decide post-intercooler location of spray?

Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:26 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SteveS
I compliment you on a very sanitary and stealthy setup!
Thanks!

Running 35% methanol, do you find the car runs pretty rich when system is on and you are in boost? I thought that one should lean the car to compensate for the methanol.
No idea if I'm running rich, since I haven't been to the dyno yet. BUT... the car pulls harder under full boost (verified with timed runs) than without the system on... if it were running rich, I would expect the opposite effect. I'll be confirming AFRs on the dyno soon. Quite a few folks run 35% mixes (in fact, up to 50% mixes) with no meth-specific tuning on other cars, with good results. I'm spraying primarily for cooling, not fuel, using a small nozzle, and little volume. Nozzle/volume has a big impact.

Would such re-tuning compromise the tuning/reliability if one were to run out of methanol?
Yes. So I have no intention of tuning the car to rely on meth. At that point, you're addicted, and can't safely run without.

Can you "switch maps" on the fly for such eventuality?
I personally have no mechanism to do that. There are such options in the works by some of the tuners. Again, in this configuration, this is really a charge cooling setup for high boost and mid-revs - not an optimal setup for the track. There are other (much more expensive) systems that I'd buy if I were tuning on the edge for max power on the track.

Would there be benefit if one were to run water only?
A lot of debate on that... I'm probably going to try a variety of mixes including pure water and see. Some water injection vendors swear by pure water, since it doesn't impact AFR. Some alcohol injection vendors swear by 100% meth. With the relative volume of water/meth I'm spraying vs. the gasoline volume I'm burning when under boost, I suspect the AFR impact is negligible, anyway.

Why did you decide post-intercooler location of spray?
Lots of studies out there on this. Consensus is that spraying post-IC yields more total effective cooling, vs. a wet internal core on the IC. The IC does its thing, then further cool the charge with the water/meth just prior to ingestion.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 02-13-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:32 PM
checkmate2006
Banned
Blimey I may just do this this summer.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:30 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Nice write up - so just to confirm, you can definately tell by seat of pants when its on and when its not.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jtack
Nice write up - so just to confirm, you can definately tell by seat of pants when its on and when its not.
Its on when youve got boost, so when its on, your already flying off the seat of your pants...

Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yes... I can feel it. As I've said earlier - the really cool part of this mod is that it makes the umpteenth WOT of the day feel fast pretty much like the first one when the car and air were much cooler... I can feel it now - but I think it will REALLY pay off as the weather warms up.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice writeup ! I too am using meth as more of a help toward motor longevity and maintaining power on hot So. Cal days rather than trying to get the last 5 hp . If you want to get an idea of what this can do for you I ran a little test on the fly this summer . After tooling around town and stop and go traffic my Intake temp was 134 .Ambient was 94 so I was not surprised . I decided to see just what the meth would do and as I pulled onto the on ramp to the fwy I turned the system on . I accelerated thru the first 4 gears somewhat aggressively and as i went into 5 Th I glanced down and saw a intake temp of sixty six degrees. Not a bad temp drop in less than a quarter mile Meth works !!

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-15-2009, 06:02 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Thanks Randy!

Yep... it's a very cool thing to see your IAT's go DOWN when you floor it and GO.... I've seen that too. My ScanGauge is also reporting about 0.5-1.0 psi higher boost... I'm assuming it's as a result of higher charge density thanks to the cooling...

Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Super c00per
Neutral
nicey done!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
motionmonk
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
Nice writeup ! I too am using meth as more of a help toward motor longevity and maintaining power on hot So. Cal days rather than trying to get the last 5 hp.
Randy,
Was just curious if you were running a 50/50 methanol solution, or something closer to what Blimey is using at 35%?

being here in Phoenix AZ makes me really curious about this setup

Great writeup Blimey!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
AZblackOUT
5th Gear
looks like the Alta oversized IC is gonna go... back to stock

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motionmonk
Randy,
Was just curious if you were running a 50/50 methanol solution, or something closer to what Blimey is using at 35%?

being here in Phoenix AZ makes me really curious about this setup

Great writeup Blimey!
I run 100 % meth. Less chance of getting into trouble as you can never have to much meth but you can have too much water .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool Paul. Its about time someone shares this info with the community. Hopefully this will make more people try water injection out.

This setup is so very beneficial and a lot of people have no idea it exists.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 AM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Love mine. I noticed a slight drop in engine water temp a touch lower than my apd provides by itself after a good bit of on/off boost driving.

Its been too cool to notice a big difference in performance not dropping off over time though. I am still dialing when I want the meth to come on as I still haven't popped for a boost gauge. I'm using Blimey's range as a base but am running a smaller sc pulley and a 2% crank so my sc is spinning quite a bit faster and making more boost. (I just don't know exactly how much)

Old 04-13-2009, 06:52 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Still loving mine. It's starting to warm up here, so I'll be able to get some better feel for the real effect. Also will be doing some dyno testing soon.
I'm still running mine set to about 5 and 11 with good results.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Just to give you a basic idea of what to expect when it gets hot.

94 degree ambient day last summer .

134 IAT after sitting in stop and go traffic.

Head up on the on ramp to the FWY and hit the arm switch.

4 shifts later approx 70 mph

IAT 66

Randy
M7 tuning

Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yeah, that's the ticket. And similar to the recovery I've seen on warm days under similar driving conditions.

Just can't wait to actually experience it through the summer here...

Old 04-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Topmini
3rd Gear
ok i dont fully understand what this system does, can you guys actually say what it does?
like i hear its a spray of meth/water... but being sprayed where? on the intercooler itself? or on the engine bay? i rly dont know. sry

maybe il get this it sounds like easy HP and more engine durability.

thanks

Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It involves spraying a mixture of water and/or methanol into the intake tract. When the water/meth mist is vaporized into a gas by the heat in the intake tract and combustion chamber, it absorbs heat from the intake air and cools it down, like when you put rubbing alcohol on your arm and blow on it, making your arm feel cold.

The main benefit is that the lower temperature makes the engine less-susceptible to knocking and pinging, which would otherwise cause the engine to retard the timing to stop the pinging, reducing power. You can almost think of water/meth injection as an "octane booster", since it allows for a more-aggressive tune than a particular octane rating would be able to support without the water/meth injection.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 04-18-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 AM
Floof
1st Gear
Blimey, how you getting on with your meth kit? still finding it does what you intended it to do? happy with the system?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 04:16 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Yep - still happy! Been working through some other unrelated stuff lately - but gonna be torture testing it at the Dragon this weekend!

Quick Reply: How To R53 Drivetrain :: Devil's Own Water/Meth Install How-To!