How To Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The wire is present on the Coopers it's just tucked up behind the bumper above the styrofoam.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
The wire is present on the Coopers it's just tucked up behind the bumper above the styrofoam.
Thanks, that is good to know and I will look for it. I do think it will have to wait for Spring however.

I see you are in NC. We plan to retire in Southern Pines with all the other horse folks.

Jim

Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 AM
bentley5
Neutral
HELP! I did the Rear Fog install on my '09 MCS and the dealer (MINI of St. Louis) cannot make them work. 'They told me' MINI USA Tech rep (theirs) said it wasn't possible unless the entire 'build code' was rewritten at the Factory and included that (rear fog light) option?? I work at a Bentley/Maserati/Lamborghini/Bugatti dealership and have never experienced this with the cars we sell. All have CAN BUS systems and can be coded for any factory option that was added (after purchase). If you had a dealer reprogram/code your R56 for the Rear Fogs, call out the Dealer name and, if possible, the Tech's name. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:02 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bentley5
HELP! I did the Rear Fog install on my '09 MCS and the dealer (MINI of St. Louis) cannot make them work. 'They told me' MINI USA Tech rep (theirs) said it wasn't possible unless the entire 'build code' was rewritten at the Factory and included that (rear fog light) option?? I work at a Bentley/Maserati/Lamborghini/Bugatti dealership and have never experienced this with the cars we sell. All have CAN BUS systems and can be coded for any factory option that was added (after purchase). If you had a dealer reprogram/code your R56 for the Rear Fogs, call out the Dealer name and, if possible, the Tech's name. Thanks for any and all help.
A few things to check that the dealer may not have done.

1. Is the bulb in the socket in the rear drivers side housinf for the fog light.

2. If the bulb is there is it good. I.E. does it light up if used in another location.

3. Is there a fuse that is blown or missing.

4. Does the dealer know how to program it properly. I know some have no clue.

As for the Mini Rep saying that it must have been on the build sheet. Is it possible that they made such a change? Yes it is possible but highly unlikely.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
I am starting a new thread to distribute a guide I put together.

After much waiting, worrying, and struggle, I was able to retrofit my MCS with rear fog lights and a new toggle! I now embrace full toggle glory.

I put together this handy guide for all interested owners.

One word of caution, this is not for the faint of heart...use at your own risk.

EDIT 1: As Paul points out below, rather than remove the top center vent completely, it may be easier to remove the two tabs in the vent (towards the driver and passenger sides) to access two of the screws holding the speedometer cover. This is something I didn't know about until after I removed the vent and wasn't sure it would provide the necessary access, but if it does, it's certainly easier than removing the entire vent.

EDIT 2: ColinMc has pointed out that you may need a T30 in place of the T25 torx bit. This may be due to differences in builds, or perhaps I mistakenly used the wrong bit. Either way, it may be worthwhile to have access to both sized bits before undertaking the project.

EDIT 3: I revised the guide to incorporate the above edits.
Can the switch cover and toggle be obtained from other then the dealer? I plan to try this, but can the parts, with the numbers you provided, be bought on lne?

Jim

Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-26-2009, 07:32 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Thanks OXYBLUECOUP, but the switch cover said "no responce found". Two out of three is not bad, but I also need the cover.

Jim

Old 02-27-2009, 04:24 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
Thanks OXYBLUECOUP, but the switch cover said "no responce found". Two out of three is not bad, but I also need the cover.

Jim
Sorry OXYBLUE. It was a bit past "Miller Time" last night when I saw your post. Looking with clearer eyes this morning I wound that the cover is indeed there.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
One more question. I printed out the retro-fit instructions and the part number for the switch cover is different. Does the one you gave me have the heated seats? Also can the heated seat switches be removed from the old cover and put on the new one?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How much did the reprogramming cost? I am def thinking of doing this. I was going to special order a car but the dealership found almost the identical car already built and on the boat. The only difference was the rear fog light.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
How much did the reprogramming cost? I am def thinking of doing this. I was going to special order a car but the dealership found almost the identical car already built and on the boat. The only difference was the rear fog light.
Conformation on the 2009 Cooper: Just behind the rear bumber there is a black foam cover which extends the entire width of the car. Just under the rear fog light opening there is a small hole cut on the edge of the foam. You can work your fingers under it and pull it down enough to get your hand in, but it is very tight. Reach around and you will feel a wire just above it. The connector is taped there and its wire is looped and taped just behind it. I was able to cut through the tape with my finger nail, but this is done blind. Don't pull too hard or you will pull the harness out that it is taped to. Once lose, fit the wire in the whole (it is slotted) and attach to the light.

Jim

Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear

The dealer charged me a half hour of labor for the programming, which ended up being a little less than $60.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Alright, that is not to bad. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM
superc00per
2nd Gear
Crappy iPhone install pics

1. This pic was taken after install, but shows where to pry.

2. Using a flathead screwdriver, pry the foam downwards.

3. Wire bundle is taped above. I yanked on it a little to break the masking tape.

4. Poke hole in 'handle' shaped indent. Pull harness thru. Replace foam. Install light.

Thanks to all original posters

Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
AWESOME PHOTOS! Thanks.

-Will

Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
The dealer charged me a half hour of labor for the programming, which ended up being a little less than $60.
I need some thoughts froum you folks:

The dealer siad they could program the rear fog for me so I made an appointment. I went today ad they siad it would take half an hour costing $60.00.

Then they tell me that there as some module they have to program as well and it will take 1.5 hours costing $140.00. I say OK.

Next they tell me that the computer took the code and recongizes the switch, but it won't work. The icon on the speedo does not light nor does the fog light come on. They check it again as tell me that every thing with the computer seeing the switch is fine so I must have messed up the install. All I did was stick a plasic toggle in it's slot and plug in the fog light.

I bought a new bulb, but it did nothing.

Am I missing something??

Jim

Old 04-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Besides $200? Not really sure.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
I need some thoughts froum you folks:

The dealer siad they could program the rear fog for me so I made an appointment. I went today ad they siad it would take half an hour costing $60.00.

Then they tell me that there as some module they have to program as well and it will take 1.5 hours costing $140.00. I say OK.

Next they tell me that the computer took the code and recongizes the switch, but it won't work. The icon on the speedo does not light nor does the fog light come on. They check it again as tell me that every thing with the computer seeing the switch is fine so I must have messed up the install. All I did was stick a plasic toggle in it's slot and plug in the fog light.

I bought a new bulb, but it did nothing.

Am I missing something??

Jim
Now this is getting very strange and I could use some thoughts from the folks here.

As I had said above the service tec said that the computer recongized the switch, but neither the light on the dash nor the rear fog would work. I then do the fog to break light conversion, disconnect the rear fog harness and tuck it away. Now when I start the car it tells me I have a bulb out.

It was said above that their switch was faulty and had to be replaced. If the switch in the center stack was bad then why would the computer say the bulb was out when disconnected? If it is bot faulty then why didn't the light work?

Got to be an answer here somewhere.

Jim

Old 07-19-2009, 09:47 PM
tuber999
Neutral
does the old switch cover have an actual 'hole' for a new toggle switch? I'm wondering if it's possible to re-use the switch cover instead of having to purchase a new one. i've checked the prices for this part and they are now going for 100+.
i guess i'll have to live without the lit symbol...

Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tuber999
does the old switch cover have an actual 'hole' for a new toggle switch? I'm wondering if it's possible to re-use the switch cover instead of having to purchase a new one. i've checked the prices for this part and they are now going for 100+.
i guess i'll have to live without the lit symbol...
Yes it does have a hole and can be used. What you see is a plug that can be removed from the rear.

Jim

Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 PM
tuber999
Neutral
Yes it does have a hole and can be used. What you see is a plug that can be removed from the rear.

Jim
thank you ! i think this may be the first mod i'll attempt when my MCS arrives in a few weeks.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 AM
Chemdean
1st Gear
I completed the mod last weekend. It took a little work, but it was not too complicated if you follow the DIY guide. I ordered my kit from outmotoring.com, and for a reasonable price you can order all that you need. GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Anyone have any luck yet getting the computer programmed on a 09? If not i might just do the break light mod.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Lil Q
2nd Gear
I did the brake light mod and LOVE IT! We really don't get the inclement weather here to have "always" on fog lights so for them to illuminate with the lights in general, then get brighter with the Brakes on is great! I haven't seen any other MINIs with it either making our unique.

I did ask my dealer before getting the brake kit if they could program the fog lights and they stated no.
Now I just need to decide if I am going to add the Driving lights.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Anyone have any luck yet getting the computer programmed on a 09? If not i might just do the break light mod.
Nope. Go with the break light.

Jim

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit