How To Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Question for Wolfshiem:

I scraped the TRIM PANEL, CENTER CONSOLE, RIGHT when installing the toggle. Have you tried to remove the glove box to make installation of this panel any easier? I ordered a new one for $20, but I don't to scrape this one when I try to put it in. It wasn't that bad, but my OCD kicked in and I order the new piece.

Thanks,

Karl

Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kfmuller
Question for Wolfshiem:

I scraped the TRIM PANEL, CENTER CONSOLE, RIGHT when installing the toggle. Have you tried to remove the glove box to make installation of this panel any easier? I ordered a new one for $20, but I don't to scrape this one when I try to put it in. It wasn't that bad, but my OCD kicked in and I order the new piece.

Thanks,

Karl
No, I never looked at removing the glove compartment prior to removal or re-install. Thankfully, it's fairly easy to remove the knee bolster under the steering wheel, but the glove compartment seems like a whole other headache. I was somewhat lucky in that I didn't scratch either trim panel. Rather than remove the compartment, you may want to try placing a strip of masking tape along the edge of the compartment, which may help "soften" the edges enough to get the new trim piece in without scratching it.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by JMike
Are there any threads on installing an after market Alarm on our MINI's? I have an alarm (Viper) that I pulled out of my last vehicle before I traded it in for the MINI and would love to put it into the MINI but wasn't sure if that was possible. (I would really love to have the alarm light blinking under the little plastic trim piece on top of the Tach on the steering column).
Your MINI is pre-wired for an OEM alarm. I strongly suspect that adding in an aftermarket alarm to it will not integrate the aftermarket system into the electronics of the MINI enough for it to trigger the pulsating red light on the top of the tach. I may be wrong, that is just my suspicion.

You may want to start another thread for this discussion as it will get lost in the middle of this awesome thread .

Old 02-14-2008, 05:44 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
I installed the new trim panel tonight - only took me 15 minutes and NOW my install is perfect - no more scratched bits and everything the way it should be.

I just took my time and covered the space between the glove box and the new trim piece while I installed it.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:13 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey Kudos to the OP! EXCELLENT write-up! Seriously top notch job! Hats off to you!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM
2nd Gear
anyone try and get a quote from the dealer for this?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:21 AM
NoModMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sticky
anyone try and get a quote from the dealer for this?

...Prestige Mini in Mahwah NJ......$150 for parts, $275 for install (includes reprogram)

Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Ambrosia
4th Gear
has anyone actually paid the dealer to reprogram after a self-install or for the entire retro-fit and reprogram?

I was initially told by my dealer that the rear fog retro-fit isn't possible, but that person didn't seem very knowledgeable....i don't have an issue with attempting this myself (will have assistance thankfully) but I'm assuming a re-program or 'software update' will still be necessary even on a late build R56.

I'm curious how much trouble some dealers are giving people who want to do the install themselves and just get the re-program....the re-program shouldn't be a problem, right?! If they are going to charge an outrageous amount just for that, then maybe it makes more sense to have them do the entire install (if they will even do it in the first place)....

Old 03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
ramtaajogi
2nd Gear
Is it possible to get the light and fixture install it and simply add my own rocker switch in the car? This way I dont need to program anything by the dealer and its about 1/3 the price. Sure, I would have to edit the existing cables and not have a pretty switch in my car, but for the price, I cant argue. I guess the hardest part would be to get the switch wires into the car.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 PM
oldopelguy
3rd Gear
Century Mini tried 3 times to get a re-programming for the self-installed rear fogs to take, but they aren't working as of yet. I've got no idea as to why at this point, but since they left it programmed in the car I'm going to try swapping out the switch assembly and see if that makes it all work. If it does, then I guess I buy a switch assembly, if not, then I'll wire the lights in parallel with the running and brake lights and they'll just be a bit more light back there.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oldopelguy
Century Mini tried 3 times to get a re-programming for the self-installed rear fogs to take, but they aren't working as of yet. I've got no idea as to why at this point, but since they left it programmed in the car I'm going to try swapping out the switch assembly and see if that makes it all work. If it does, then I guess I buy a switch assembly, if not, then I'll wire the lights in parallel with the running and brake lights and they'll just be a bit more light back there.
Keep us updated!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
No Go on the Reprogram

Got mine reprogrammed today, and it's not working for me either. They got the rear fogs programmed in - but, as the other poster said, they don't know why it doesn't get the self install to work.

If anyone gets this to work, please update the post.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM
pmmiller
1st Gear
Someone else looks like they had a simular issue with the switch.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...fog+lamp+retro
Maybe you have a simular issue. Or all us who have DIY Retro rear fogs.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
My rear fogs work now

Took it to the dealer for a complete reprogramming and they work - no need for me to get the switch swapped out.

The first programming apparently didn't work correctly, but after a complete reprogramming, I've finally got my rear fogs.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:36 AM
andea1
Neutral
Rear Fog Light Retro Fit

Thanks for the details. I am importing my MCS into Europe later this year and I didnt order the rear fogs when I bought this car, they are a requirement in Europe. I have just recieved the parts, (lights and rocker switch) from outmotoring.com for ~75US$. I have fitted the lights, very easy, but am not attempting the switch as it looks too complicated for me. My dealer, momentum houston, said they can do it for ~120$, I'll let you know how it goes. See pictures of installed lights. Very happy so far.

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit-dsc05390.jpg   Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit-dsc05391.jpg  
Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM
andea1
Neutral
Had my rear fogs, toggle switch and programming done today

OK, its done and they work. The dealer did a great job and I now have no blank switch holes and working fogs !

Old 07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
After a long wait after installing the hardware, I was finally able to have a dealership activate the rear fog lights. The activation cost to me was $57.50. The lights work and look great.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wolfshiem
I am starting a new thread to distribute a guide I put together.

After much waiting, worrying, and struggle, I was able to retrofit my MCS with rear fog lights and a new toggle! I now embrace full toggle glory.

I put together this handy guide for all interested owners.

One word of caution, this is not for the faint of heart...use at your own risk.

EDIT 1: As Paul points out below, rather than remove the top center vent completely, it may be easier to remove the two tabs in the vent (towards the driver and passenger sides) to access two of the screws holding the speedometer cover. This is something I didn't know about until after I removed the vent and wasn't sure it would provide the necessary access, but if it does, it's certainly easier than removing the entire vent.

EDIT 2: ColinMc has pointed out that you may need a T30 in place of the T25 torx bit. This may be due to differences in builds, or perhaps I mistakenly used the wrong bit. Either way, it may be worthwhile to have access to both sized bits before undertaking the project.

EDIT 3: I revised the guide to incorporate the above edits.
I take it that you can not simply remove the cover over the togle switches to get to them? I followed the guide and am not certain why the entire thing has to come apart for one switch. I'm sure there is a reason whiich is not clear to me.

Jim

Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
I take it that you can not simply remove the cover over the togle switches to get to them? I followed the guide and am not certain why the entire thing has to come apart for one switch. I'm sure there is a reason whiich is not clear to me.

Jim
The toggle snaps into a breadboard connection, which is circled in the guide on the last page. In order to access this connection, it is necessary to remove the switch cover. At first, I thought it would be possible to remove just the switch cover, but after going through the entire process, I don't think that is possible--the system is just too integrated.

If you can access the switch connection without removing everything else, great. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
BigOly
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wolfshiem,

Thanks for the wonderful writeup! I did not care so much about the missing toggle but the more I look at the toggle panel, and especially after reading this thread, I want me a full set of switches!

Does anyone that has the factory aerokit version -non JCW-, know if the part numbers used in this thread to order the fog lights are the same parts that will fit my aerokit bumper? I plan to head over to my dealership on a weekend when I'm free to ask around, but to save me a trip, anyone seen a picture of one that is fitted to an aerokit? If the fog lights look funky on my bumper I may just buy the toggle switch and not the lights and somehow later down the road wire it as a aux switch for some other future electrical mod project, if I can somehow bypass the circuit board.

Excellent thread!

Oly

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit-aerokit.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 01:22 PM
pmmiller
1st Gear
I have the hyper aero package. The lamps are the same part numbers. I think they look better than the funky black insert that were in the holes. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
I am starting a new thread to distribute a guide I put together.

After much waiting, worrying, and struggle, I was able to retrofit my MCS with rear fog lights and a new toggle! I now embrace full toggle glory.

I put together this handy guide for all interested owners.

One word of caution, this is not for the faint of heart...use at your own risk.

EDIT 1: As Paul points out below, rather than remove the top center vent completely, it may be easier to remove the two tabs in the vent (towards the driver and passenger sides) to access two of the screws holding the speedometer cover. This is something I didn't know about until after I removed the vent and wasn't sure it would provide the necessary access, but if it does, it's certainly easier than removing the entire vent.

EDIT 2: ColinMc has pointed out that you may need a T30 in place of the T25 torx bit. This may be due to differences in builds, or perhaps I mistakenly used the wrong bit. Either way, it may be worthwhile to have access to both sized bits before undertaking the project.

EDIT 3: I revised the guide to incorporate the above edits.
I just checked with my dealer and they said that they could not do it as none of their books show an install.

They did say that they could replace a broken or defective one. I said that the wiring harness was already there, but they insist that there are other factors that come into play. I asked what factors and they could not tell me.

Does any of this sould correct to you all? I printed the instructions, but even though mine is not an "S" would the basicly apply to the MC?

Jim

Jim

Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Wolfshiem
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
I just checked with my dealer and they said that they could not do it as none of their books show an install.

They did say that they could replace a broken or defective one. I said that the wiring harness was already there, but they insist that there are other factors that come into play. I asked what factors and they could not tell me.

Does any of this sould correct to you all? I printed the instructions, but even though mine is not an "S" would the basicly apply to the MC?

Jim

Jim
I'm not sure why the dealership you talked to would be so hesitant regarding the rear fog light. My experience with this has been a mixed bag. Some dealerships seem to fall in line with what you said while others seem to think it's no big deal to retrofit the light(s). At any rate, if you install the components on your own, the dealership should have no problem programming it for you.

From the interior console portion of the retrofit, I don't think there is any difference between the MCS and the MC. The only difference I see is that there is one exterior light on the MC rather than two with the MCS. I should think, although I cannot confirm, that the wiring would be there on the MC too. Best thing to do is crawl under the rear bumper and poke around for it.

Good luck!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
Installing the switch itself is cake, so it popping the foglight(s) in the rear bumper...all they have to do is reprogram it to work. I was going to have mine done but I was happy just have a toggle switch and a label for it in place...no need for the fogs to have lenses and work lol. My dealership was willing to reprogram, but the hourly rate makes it pretty outrageous to have it done unless they are doing something else program wise at the same time.

So yeah...sounds to me like they are just giving you the run around because they don't want to do it.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
I'm not sure why the dealership you talked to would be so hesitant regarding the rear fog light. My experience with this has been a mixed bag. Some dealerships seem to fall in line with what you said while others seem to think it's no big deal to retrofit the light(s). At any rate, if you install the components on your own, the dealership should have no problem programming it for you.

From the interior console portion of the retrofit, I don't think there is any difference between the MCS and the MC. The only difference I see is that there is one exterior light on the MC rather than two with the MCS. I should think, although I cannot confirm, that the wiring would be there on the MC too. Best thing to do is crawl under the rear bumper and poke around for it.

Good luck!
Thanks, it struck me during my conversation with the dealer that they could not find a print out on how to do it, so they think they can't. I will look for the wiring, do it myself and then find a dealer that will program it.

Jim

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit