How To Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM
euells
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Fog Light working on '09 Justa

This was tons easier than I expected. Here were the steps I took:

1) Located the wire under the bumper behind the foam insert - pulled down through the pre-formed opening and mounted the Light (which came from Outmotoring) - 10 minutes
2) Using a small flathead screwdriver (which I plasti-dipped to eliminate scratches) - I popped the toggle switch cover off and installed the new toggle switch - 2 minutes
3) Here's where it went a little squirrely - I hooked up the netbook and launched NCSExpert. I got to the step where you choose the module - the spreadsheet directions said the NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE was in the IHKS module - but I didn't have that module. After poking around a bit I found it in the IHKA module. After seeing this post the NCSExpert thread, I decided to write it to the car. It didn't work. So I restored the original backup file, then tried it again. Once again - it didn't seem to work. However after a minute or so I heard a couple of clicks - then tried the toggle and the light on the dash came on . It is working perfectly now! It was probably OK on the first flash - I don't know why it took a little while, but the light on the dash eventually came on. This took about 30 minutes due to the putzing around I had to do with the NCSExpert.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere but OutMotoring confirmed for me that the Cooper S and the JCW Aero Kit use the SAME rear fog light assembly.

Definitely adding this to my to-do list!

Last edited by Naylia; 01-16-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
I just popped the lights in, and with a little effort, found the electrical sockets taped on the bottom of the bumper. While looking for the sockets, I reached up above the bumper cover on the driver's side and pulled down a rectangular black plastic box 4"x 1.5"x 3/4" with one wire coming into the end. It was just sitting up there loose. I've had body work done, so I'm wondering if they left something uninstalled. Anyone remember the link to the parts diagrams?

I can also confirm that even though the convertibles have only one fog switch (up controls the front, down controls the rear), you still have to program the switch.
Right now, up or down will turn on the fronts. I either have tho find someone to program it or take the point myself.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jalvani
Read through the thread, and I didn't see mention of a 2012 at all. I've got a recently-purchased 2012 MCS that, while it didn't have the rear fog option from the factory, has the lights installed and wired (See pic), but no toggle inside.

Were the 2009 model-year issues overcome? Anybody know if I stick a toggle in there, will I be able to (either by reflash or rebuild) get the fogs to work? I'd like to know what to ask my SA for.
My toggle from way works programmed by helix
Rear fogs working on 2012

Old 07-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Does anyone know the appropriate VO # for a 2009 R57?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 AM
LarriB
3rd Gear
Just to update, I finally got the MINI dealer to program the rear fogs. It took them quite a while, apparently related to the fact that it was an R57 rather than an R56. The SA told me that the rear fog light indicator in the big speedo wouldn't work, but in fact, it does.

Last edited by LarriB; 07-22-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:21 AM
cactusjk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone removed the toggle switch cover like this recently? I get the top clips but am not sure if you have to also wedge the side clips also?

Originally Posted by cwjcw
Hi guys, Thanks to all of you for the great write up and .pdf file with pics. I wanted to let you know that I did the install tonight in about 15 min. The switch bezel un-snaps and yes it is very very tight in the dash. If you take a door window wedge(glass wedge) made by the Wurth Company for example (7145832 part no) and looking at your replacement bezel clips you can un-snap it with no disassembly necessary of the dash. Add the new switch to the existing slot and snap new bezel in. The key is that you remove and replace in a straight in and out manner. No pivoting or twisting. The window wedge is a plastic composite and won´t chip or scratch dash bezel. Hope this helps some of you out.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:25 AM
cactusjk
4th Gear
I was able to cleanly remove by pulling on the outer rings carefully with a small hook. Amazing how cleanly it comes out even with the notched tabs.

Now just need to find some good instructions on how to code the VO with NCSExpert for the fogs.

Originally Posted by cactusjk
Has anyone removed the toggle switch cover like this recently? I get the top clips but am not sure if you have to also wedge the side clips also?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 AM
thomasc400
Neutral
2012 quick and easy switch add/cover replacement

Old thread, but since I just did this, I thought I'd post my experience for anyone still looking to do this but discouraged by the amount of disassembly previously posted.

My 2012 S had the lights already installed as part of the bumper kit that came with this model. I was just lacking the switch and proper cover plate (plus the programming).

I don't know if there were changes through the years but considering the part is the same, you can assume this works back a few years, but the install of the switch and new plate took about 5 minutes - NO dash disassembly required.

Looped together two heavy locking ties through the toggle switch dividers on the face plate. Pulled tight on the ties, then gave a firm tug straight back. The cover popped right out. There are three tabs on top and two on the sides - nothing broke off, but even if they did, I didn't care since I'm replacing the cover.

Snapped in the switch (protruding notch goes towards the top), and snapped in the new face plate.

Still need the programming from the dealer, but I'll find out about that this week. Really happy with the full bank of switches.

Image 1: Lock ties around the old face plate
Image 2: Detail of side clip
Image 3: Detail of panel back and top clips
Image 4: New toggle and face plate installed

New face plate and toggle switch from Way Motor Works ($105 for plate and switch)

Attached Thumbnails Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit-img_1822.jpg   Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit-img_1823.jpg   Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit-img_1824.jpg   Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit-img_1829.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thomasc400
Old thread, but since I just did this, I thought I'd post my experience for anyone still looking to do this but discouraged by the amount of disassembly previously posted.

My 2012 S had the lights already installed as part of the bumper kit that came with this model. I was just lacking the switch and proper cover plate (plus the programming).

I don't know if there were changes through the years but considering the part is the same, you can assume this works back a few years, but the install of the switch and new plate took about 5 minutes - NO dash disassembly required.

Looped together two heavy locking ties through the toggle switch dividers on the face plate. Pulled tight on the ties, then gave a firm tug straight back. The cover popped right out. There are three tabs on top and two on the sides - nothing broke off, but even if they did, I didn't care since I'm replacing the cover.

Snapped in the switch (protruding notch goes towards the top), and snapped in the new face plate.

Still need the programming from the dealer, but I'll find out about that this week. Really happy with the full bank of switches.

Image 1: Lock ties around the old face plate
Image 2: Detail of side clip
Image 3: Detail of panel back and top clips
Image 4: New toggle and face plate installed

New face plate and toggle switch from Way Motor Works ($105 for plate and switch)
Careful doing that lock tie method. Its happen to a few that those dividers would pull right off. I personally think the hook method is safer.
Good luck getting the dealer to program the rear fog function. Some can, others can't because they don't know what they are doing. If anything ask some of the fine fellows here if they can help you out for a few bucks and 15 mins of their time.
It is cool having a whole line of switches and not just missing one.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM
justawatcher
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And it Worked for my 6/08 Justa..

Originally Posted by euells
This was tons easier than I expected. Here were the steps I took:

1) Located the wire under the bumper behind the foam insert - pulled down through the pre-formed opening and mounted the Light (which came from Outmotoring) - 10 minutes
2) Using a small flathead screwdriver (which I plasti-dipped to eliminate scratches) - I popped the toggle switch cover off and installed the new toggle switch - 2 minutes
3) Here's where it went a little squirrely - I hooked up the netbook and launched NCSExpert. I got to the step where you choose the module - the spreadsheet directions said the NEBEL_SCHLUSSLEUCHTE was in the IHKS module - but I didn't have that module. After poking around a bit I found it in the IHKA module. After seeing this post the NCSExpert thread, I decided to write it to the car. It didn't work. So I restored the original backup file, then tried it again. Once again - it didn't seem to work. However after a minute or so I heard a couple of clicks - then tried the toggle and the light on the dash came on . It is working perfectly now! It was probably OK on the first flash - I don't know why it took a little while, but the light on the dash eventually came on. This took about 30 minutes due to the putzing around I had to do with the NCSExpert.
As noted here by Euells,you might find it in the IHKA module instead...
It took about 15 minutes including the NCSExpert update (Did that first). Because of this excellent thread..
It should be noted that if you don't include this in your VO (and I didn't)
the next time your dealership updates the software the fog light may stop working. No problem just take the modified .man file you saved as a backup ( Backup? I don't need no stinkin' backup) and reload it.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:23 PM
OreoSAll4
2nd Gear
hi guys, I was hoping to cleat up some stuff im reading here.

I have a 09 R55s and I wanted to fill the black spot as many of you wanted to do too, as well as having a working light.

1. im reading that parts alone will cost $100+, is there any place I can get them for cheaper? used parts are fine as long as they work for me.

2. Since I have an 09, it seems like that year is the only one people are having a lot of problems with. Im reading success stories for 2011 and 2012 2nd gens. I wanted to know the best possible way of attacking this problem where the dealerships flat out tell you it cant be done.