How To Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Figures. I am still going to install the switch to complete the front, but i am not going to buy a new panel for them. I am gonna look for a fun decal to put there.

One of these should do nicely. The mario cart style bananas are my favorite.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 PM
pedroa1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 rear fog light retrofit

www.minisf.com company programmed my rear fogs to work for a mere $188.00. What I installed: 63-24-2-751-707 Rear Fog light left; 63-24-2-751-708 rear fog light right; 64-11-3-442-608 switch cover for vehicles with front fogs and seat heating driver/passenger; 64-11-3-452-459 operating lever, AKA, toggle switch. The most helpful DIY was on Youtube "2007 Mini Cooper Spedometer removal (Part 1)" and Part 2. My MCS production code is MF73, manufacture date 12/2007 so every 2008 will have the option available if it has front fogs if not, I don't know.
In Central California, from SF and SAC to Bakersfield there wasn't a tech with a helpful suggestion, not one. It was always, "Oh, the machines are very expensive, only dealers can..." including the 5 dealers in all Nor Cal. Needless to say, a Mongoose and a power supply are on my Xmas list.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:04 PM
MamaPills
Neutral
Is the toggle a handle or a real switch

I was thinking of trying to hack the toggle switch for the rear fog lights to control a garage door opener. From the pics it looks like the switch is in the switch bank even if you don't have fog lights. When people retrofit the rear fog lights, are they really just adding a handle to a switch that is hiding under the blank plate? Or are they really adding a switch with contacts, and wires?

If its a real, stand alone switch, it seems possible to redirect the wires to a GDO. If the switch is already integral with a control board, I am not going to hack into it.

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM
pedroa1
1st Gear
R56 rear fog circuit

The toggle handle pushes against a microswitch on the printed circuit board that controls the whole heater/climate control bank so it isn't like a wired toggle switch, basically, a dummy handle. The R56 has a garage door opener in the overhead but I never looked into a retrofit since mine came installed.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
MamaPills
Neutral
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid it was a microswitch configuration but figured I would check. The next place I'm going to ponder is the unused switch location between the DSC and the Sport buttons. I've read a little about that spot having a location for the third switch that the Europeans get. I could buy a US switch assembly and cannibalize one of the switches to be a third switch to be added to the original switch assembly.

I have read some nice installs retrofitting GDOs in the overhead central control cluster. That's an option too.

Thanks again!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:11 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MamaPills
I could buy a US switch assembly and cannibalize one of the switches to be a third switch to be added to the original switch assembly.
I'm not familiar with the internal construction of this switch, but if it's like other switches in the MINI, it may be difficult to cannibalize. There is probably a single circuit board and each button presses on a membrane contact. It may be better to start with a 3 button switch from Europe: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...32&hg=61&fg=35

Another approach is to use the AutoSportPlus from FES Auto. It will allow you to operate your GDO by double clicking one of the existing buttons.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
cwjcw
Neutral
Hi guys, Thanks to all of you for the great write up and .pdf file with pics. I wanted to let you know that I did the install tonight in about 15 min. The switch bezel un-snaps and yes it is very very tight in the dash. If you take a door window wedge(glass wedge) made by the Wurth Company for example (7145832 part no) and looking at your replacement bezel clips you can un-snap it with no disassembly necessary of the dash. Add the new switch to the existing slot and snap new bezel in. The key is that you remove and replace in a straight in and out manner. No pivoting or twisting. The window wedge is a plastic composite and won´t chip or scratch dash bezel. Hope this helps some of you out.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 PM
SoCalR56JCWWC50
1st Gear
need plugs for this mod

I have the foglights and just installed them today. Got sick of those ugly plugs. For ease of install, planning on tapping in to the rear arch lights. Can't use as brake lights in CA. Anyone know where to get and the PN of te insert plug into the lights themselves? Can you get that separate?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalR56JCWWC50
Can't use as brake lights in CA.
I don't think that's correct. I looked into it when I did it for the rear fog on my R52. This is the section in the CA Vehicle code: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24603.htm. Item (c) seems to explicitly allow it.

Your R56 should have prewiring that includes a plug. You might consider using the kit from gominigo: http://www.gominigo.com/BLK-MINI.html

Old 01-10-2010, 07:20 PM
SoCalR56JCWWC50
1st Gear
Yeah, was thinking of using the plugs and snipping them off. Just thought to try new items first.
That link was for the R53 brake light mod. Can't seem to find anything decenton the R56 mod or the actual plugs needed. Time for the dealership!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
SoCalR56JCWWC50
1st Gear
My bad - did not look far enough down the page.....

Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
mro2
1st Gear
Just wondering is there a icon on the dash that lights up to let you know the rear foglight is on? Like there is when you turn on the front foglights.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
SoCalR56JCWWC50
1st Gear
Only if you do the factory set up. The aftermarket with tapping into the rear brake lights no. No switch needed. Actually a better set up in my book.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM
mro2
1st Gear
I forgot to mention that I have a 09' R55 Clubman S, I install the switch cover 64113442594 and toggle 64113452459 in about 15 mins. I followed cwjcw advice, I guess I'm lucky because the clubman rear fog light is located in the left tail light assembly. As a matter of fact the bulb was already in the socket. So hopefully I'll be able to take it in and have it program into the car. I'm so glad to fill in that empty spot! I also noticed that there is a icon of the rear fog on my speedo, It just doesn't light up.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:44 AM
fetus_ua
Neutral
Oh, thanks a lot. European Minis all have rear fog light but i don't. Maybe i'll try out this spring...

Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 AM
tsientong
2nd Gear
great thread.

side question:
are there non-lights alternatives for those two rear fog slots on the R56, such as the GP rear bumper inserts? what's out there for those of us who aren't interested in adding rear fogs, but want to add some RAAAWWWRR on the rear bumper?

thanks in advance.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Our dealership is having trouble with the programming too - can't find the option via the retrofitting menu. Anyone have a clue as to how to activate it?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So what's the deal with programming. Can it now be done on 09 MCS?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 AM
cwjcw
Neutral
Guys, I, like all of you, was very happy to do this upgrade only to find out it would not actually work. I took my car to the dealer and it was programmed as an available option...no dice...nothing worked. I read on other threads where the switch board assembly was actually dead, the car couldn´t be programmed for it if it was not already done at the factory, etc..etc... Here is the answer that works for all of you who are anxiously waiting for a solution...

It is true that at least for the R56 there is no re-flash or fix for the rear fog lights to work if not programmed and enabled at the factory...Most are being told by dealers that if that is the case....enjoy the look of them but you can´t use them...My technician tried enabling the option on two different occasions..when it didn´t work the last time he completely wiped my processor clean and did what he defined as a "complete rebuild." Of course this is very time consuming and probably very expensive..I didn´t have to pay for this, but nonetheless it fixed the problem and they now work. It took about 4 hours to program everything. So yes, there is no re-flash/retrograde fix for this option....the processor will have to be completely wiped clean and then reloaded under the premise that the option is there. The problem is...the techs don´t want to or haven´t considered going that far into it. My dealership is Mini of Birmingham, AL that did this. Hope this helps all of you out and glad my suggestions for making a 3hr install happen in 15 min worked out for you gokaht. Have a great day.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:21 AM
cwjcw
Neutral
whoops...I meant MRO2.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:04 PM
miniOwner2010
Neutral
Finished the rear fog lamp addition

I just got my 2010 mini Cooper S from the dealer. I had them re-program the computer for the rear fog lamps I installed last week using the guide here. Prestige Mini in Mahwah, NJ did the re-programming for one hour of labor at $120.

Interesting thing was I had the car last Tuesday and was going to wait for it. They tried to do the re-programming and said that my vehicle was missing the needed software module to activate the rear fog lamps. I guess due that the rear fog lamps were not on my car as it was ordered. They had to request a new software build directly from Mini for my car. They requested this from Mini via email and received the new software image in a few days. So my service was re-scheduled for today, Monday. Everything went smoothly and my new rear fog lamps not only look good but are now fully operational.

I bought all the parts from outmotoring.com and followed the very good guide on this thread.

I want to confirm that you do not need to take out the top vent as noted by others. You only need to remove the two tabs to get to the screws. The big torx is a 30.

My advise is give yourself plenty of time as this could take you three hours or more. If you are afraid to take your dash apart, do not do this as it is not for the faint of heart. If you take the plunge it is well worth getting the rear fog lamps and toggle switch to replace the blank spots.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM
jimbou
Neutral
Hello,

I installed the rear fog light and the toggle switch on my Cooper (not S). Thanks for the very helpful information I have found on this forum.

Unfortunately, my experience is one more example of impossible reprograming. My dealer told me that the rear fog light option is not available in the computer. He commited to investigate if anything can be done. Still waiting for him to call me back .... .

I contacted a dealer in France (I want to take this car with me back to France), and he confirmed, based on the VIN, that this car cannot be programmed for a rear fog light.

I will probably end with adding a switch and some wiring.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:12 PM
miniOwner2010
Neutral
Sorry to hear that

My dealer had to connect Mini to get a new software build as they claimed the rear fog lamp option was not available on my Cooper S computer. It took them a few days, but they received the new software build and was able to re-program. The rear fog lamps are working fine as expected.

Maybe try another dealer or contact Mini directly for guidance.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbou
Hello,

I installed the rear fog light and the toggle switch on my Cooper (not S). Thanks for the very helpful information I have found on this forum.

Unfortunately, my experience is one more example of impossible reprograming. My dealer told me that the rear fog light option is not available in the computer. He commited to investigate if anything can be done. Still waiting for him to call me back .... .

I contacted a dealer in France (I want to take this car with me back to France), and he confirmed, based on the VIN, that this car cannot be programmed for a rear fog light.

I will probably end with adding a switch and some wiring.
Did either one of the dealers you dealt with mention that the ac control unit itself and not a module control both the front and rear fog lights? If you can find an ac control unit(either manual or auto) that already has the fog lights programmed from another MINI you will have a functioning rear fog light.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniOwner2010
My dealer had to connect Mini to get a new software build as they claimed the rear fog lamp option was not available on my Cooper S computer. It took them a few days, but they received the new software build and was able to re-program. The rear fog lamps are working fine as expected.

Maybe try another dealer or contact Mini directly for guidance.
What did they charge yu for all this?

Jim

Quick Reply: How To Interior/Exterior :: Rear Foglight Retrofit