[Hawaii] DIYs for the coming months?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Hawaii] DIYs for the coming months?

HMMC members should've received a newsletter stating DIYs will be available to those who'd like to learn about "messing" with their MINIs. Blown-lone-star recently asked me when the next DIY was - does anyone want to schedule another one? Depending on the dates and availability, as of now, we can do the DIYs in Makakilo (my place) or Hawaii Kai (bgrpph's place).

Today cwlouis came over and I installed his header, and he installed my 2005 HU (thanks Louis! ). BTW, thanks also for the Liliha Bakery (I think that's the name of the place) cream puffs!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:40 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
this was a good DIY...we realized that all the parts in my car takes three times the effort to remove , and the 05 HU will require a little "mod", it's not a straight replacement, you'll need to remove a plastic thingy to fit your antenna cable (dakine's is a 03). but thanks dirk again for allowing me to use your place to work on my MCS...

Old 02-21-2006, 11:47 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cwlouis
this was a good DIY...we realized that all the parts in my car takes three times the effort to remove , and the 05 HU will require a little "mod", it's not a straight replacement, you'll need to remove a plastic thingy to fit your antenna cable (dakine's is a 03). but thanks dirk again for allowing me to use your place to work on my MCS...
Oh yeah, forgot about the black plastic thingy removal/mod to get the antannae on.

No problem about using my place for DIY, especially for you my friend.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:49 AM
kbseto
5th Gear
not sure if this would be diy material but...for those of us with early model years or 36k+ miles...is radiator flush, transmission flush, or other fluid change recommended anytime soon?

Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 AM
Blown-Lone-Star
3rd Gear
do any of you guys know if the dealership will change your oil even though its not the recommended time from your odometer?

Old 02-22-2006, 05:46 AM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
BMWCCH is scheduling a DIY day at Motorwerkes in March. However, it'll be one of those get to know your car things with a brake rotor and pad change, oil change and probably some other rudimentary stuff. BMWs and MINIs are invited.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:01 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
FYI. One of my buddies did a DIY on the roof rack install and it came out great! I wasn't there for the proceedure but trusting your self to drill holes in your MIN is something else!

Old 02-22-2006, 01:12 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
i had that problem before. due to low miles, the dealer refused to do it until it was in it's low hundreds (this is the free change). this was one of the things i was disapointed with...

Originally Posted by Blown-Lone-Star
do any of you guys know if the dealership will change your oil even though its not the recommended time from your odometer?

Old 02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
Be glad to offer my place in Hi Kai for installs, maintenance, upgrades, etc and help where i can.

Please check out NAM for instructions on oil, coolant or other fluid changes as they are not difficult and i'd prefer not doing these at my place. Thanks folks.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bgrpph
.........Please check out NAM for instructions on oil, coolant or other fluid changes as they are not difficult and i'd prefer not doing these at my place. Thanks folks.
What a grump! Barry saw the oil that was spilt on my garage floor (and my yard!) and said "no oil changes!"

cwlouis - I got my Gen.2 iPOD adaptor today. Another DIY? You're in charge on this one again. BTW folks, yes, cwlouis again turned the wrong way while using a socket wrench in the engine bay during our last DIY - better stick to the ICE stuff no?

[Edit : Oh forgot, I have to install my little Helix battery set-up too.]

Old 02-22-2006, 09:52 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If the front grill arrive before the weekend(from outmotoring) I probably upgrade the pulley to 19% at the same time, any suggestions and easy way to do it?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:07 PM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
What a grump! Barry saw the oil that was spilt on my garage floor (and my yard!) and said "no oil changes!"

cwlouis - I got my Gen.2 iPOD adaptor today. Another DIY? You're in charge on this one again. BTW folks, yes, cwlouis again turned the wrong way while using a socket wrench in the engine bay during our last DIY - better stick to the ICE stuff no?

no problem, let's figure out a time... and yes, i'm still getting the sockets confused...

Old 02-23-2006, 01:05 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drea-min
If the front grill arrive before the weekend(from outmotoring) I probably upgrade the pulley to 19% at the same time, any suggestions and easy way to do it?
I thought you already had 19%? I switched to 19% from the 15% I had. I think I used Randy's 2nd method. Gotta have at least two jacks - to lift engine, if I remember correctly. Make sure you have the belt tension release tool - this is a MUST. I did it solo but it might help to have a helper.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:30 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kbseto
not sure if this would be diy material but...for those of us with early model years or 36k+ miles...is radiator flush, transmission flush, or other fluid change recommended anytime soon?
kbseto - that's a good DIY. I've been meaning to do a radiator flush soon. I think cwlouis and bgrpph would need one too. I'd like to install my m7 thermostat (big thanks to eastsidemini) too. Should we do this soon?

cwlouis or groove67 or any other iPOD DIYer - do you folks have the install instruction for the iPOD adaptor? I got my gen2 adaptor yesterday but forgot that it does not come with instructions; hmmmm, maybe it's posted somewhere.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
I did coolant flush last month to get rid of my 3 yr old brown coolant- bought anti-freeze at dealer- got distilled water- hardest part is getting the bottom rad hose clamp off and then back on. refilled with only 15% coolant, distilled & redline water wetter.

We'll all go to Dirk's for our DIY oil or other fluid changes. YES !
I'd also be interested in watching/helping with the thermostat install as i'm thinking of getting one from eastsidemini also.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 PM
drea-min
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
kbseto - that's a good DIY. I've been meaning to do a radiator flush soon. I think cwlouis and bgrpph would need one too. I'd like to install my m7 thermostat (big thanks to eastsidemini) too. Should we do this soon?

cwlouis or groove67 or any other iPOD DIYer - do you folks have the install instruction for the iPOD adaptor? I got my gen2 adaptor yesterday but forgot that it does not come with instructions; hmmmm, maybe it's posted somewhere.
We did the DIY iPod interface last Dec. with my son and its straight forward, make sure to look all the parts that comes with it because the instruction says to cut some wires but actually you don't have to, the only problem we encountered is power.... it will not turn-off the radio unless you press the power on the radio itself. I don't know if I have to have the service dept. to reprogram. :impatient
In regards to my DIY pulley upgrade I wanted to change when Eric is on the Island but unfortunate I was in the Mainland so now I have to do it myself. Yes I did purchased my own belt tensioner from Eric and the 19% pulley.

What happen to Eastside Mini website??? I cant find it, I also want to change the thermostat with 180F????

Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
We did the DIY iPod interface last Dec. with my son and its straight forward, make sure to look all the parts that comes with it because the instruction says to cut some wires but actually you don't have to, the only problem we encountered is power.... it will not turn-off the radio unless you press the power on the radio itself. I don't know if I have to have the service dept. to reprogram. :impatient
In regards to my DIY pulley upgrade I wanted to change when Eric is on the Island but unfortunate I was in the Mainland so now I have to do it myself. Yes I did purchased my own belt tensioner from Eric and the 19% pulley.

What happen to Eastside Mini website??? I cant find it, I also want to change the thermostat with 180F????
Yeah, cwlouis told me is was straight forward too - just need the instructions with the wire colors.

Does the pulley use the same hub? If it does, your job is much easier. But with the belt tensioner tool you should not have a problem. Just give yourself ample time. Like I said, I did it myself without any problems. I went from helix 15% to Alta 19%.

Eastsidemini's new site is esmhawaii.com - best to give him a call. Do you have his number? If not, PM me and I'll PM it back to you.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 PM
groove67
1st Gear
Dirk,
I do not have the manual for the iPOD adapter but I can voluntee mine to look at to help. I would go find it online if possible. I think minimania has for sell maybe they the directions on their web page.

drea-min,
Heres eastside's web page. I just found it. http://www.esmhawaii.com/

Allen

Old 02-23-2006, 11:17 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by groove67
Dirk,
I do not have the manual for the iPOD adapter but I can voluntee mine to look at to help. I would go find it online if possible. I think minimania has for sell maybe they the directions on their web page.

drea-min,
Heres eastside's web page. I just found it. http://www.esmhawaii.com/

Allen
Hah, I beat you (with esmhawaii site address)! The site address was changed due to "legal" issues - nuff sed'.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
just wondering all this talk of ipod hook-up, got me wondering if this hook-up is possible with mini ipod. i scored one from one of those promos at cpb last year. but never got around to hooking it up, let alone even using it. it's still in wrapper. i still gotta load some songs on it.

and that reminds me...yeah, i still gotta install the thermostat i got from eastsidemini, like a year ago i think.

and i gotta re-check my exhaust hanger, as the chirping is back. exhaust systems hawaii found the culprit, as banging a rubber mallet on the visible clip reproduces the chirping, which is getting more and more annoying again. they slapped some sludge on it, which muffled it for a few months. but it's back now.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
groove67
1st Gear
Too Quick

Dirk,
You probably know it by heart. I just found it right before that post.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:21 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
comparo

--Hmm maybe I should go buy the monster radio transmitter thingy and bring it to this DIY to compare sound quality to the factory plug. If it's really dramatic then I'll return the monster. I'm picky about my tunes.

--pyratio

Hah, I beat you (with esmhawaii site address)! The site address was changed due to "legal" issues - nuff sed'.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:30 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
oil change

--Hey I didn't leave any oil stains in your garage did I? Eeek! Hope not. Sorry if I did. I'll bring driveway soap for the next DIY. It works pretty good. Eats your fingerprints but it works good.

Hey Barry my oil change wasn't rudimentary! I recall 3 guys under my car saying "WTH is that?!" over and over again.

--pyratio

Old 02-24-2006, 12:36 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pyratio
--Hey I didn't leave any oil stains in your garage did I? Eeek! Hope not. Sorry if I did. I'll bring driveway soap for the next DIY. It works pretty good. Eats your fingerprints but it works good.

Hey Barry my oil change wasn't rudimentary! I recall 3 guys under my car saying "WTH is that?!" over and over again.

--pyratio
Yes, we did learn something new looking underneath LilMarie .

Oil on the garage floor didn't bother me (that's what garage floors are for right?) - I just cleaned it up. Oil in my grass was not good though (cwlouis!).

Old 03-05-2006, 11:52 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
I did the iPOD adaptor install by myself last week and it was a piece of cake. Hey drea-min, I think the power-off problem you are having is due to following older instructions; instead of connecting disconnecting four wires, the newer instruction has three (the fourth wire is causing your problem.....off the top of my head, I am thinking it was 16). Next time we have a DIY, you should bring it down and we should be able to fix your problem.

Quick Reply: [Hawaii] DIYs for the coming months?