Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

HMMC Website

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:34 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HMMC Website

Ok folks, I couldn't stand looking at my old design so I decided to work on the new look of the HMMC website. I created a test page...check it out and let me know what you think: http://www.hawaiiMINIclub.org/test.html

Before I migrate all of the info into this new template, I would love to get some feedback and fine tune it. The links may not work...I'm simply looking for design feedback.

Thanks folks!

UPDATE!!! Just about all of the Official Site is up utilizing the new "test" template. Rather than check the test page, go straight to the official site and check it out. Lemme know if you have any comments/suggestions. Thanks!!!

http://www.hawaiiMINIclub.org

Old 11-06-2005, 06:19 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
looks fine to me, but then again i don't think i've ever seen the old website.
and i think i still haven't signed up yet...next event i will.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:25 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
kbseto, you're like our official mascot! I should just make you an honorary member already!

I changed the font because people are giving me conflicting feedback...all PC users, of course! But, although MACs are better () I really should conform to the rest of the world. So anyways, I changed the font to something a little smaller.

Anyone else???

Old 11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Hiya Keiki....

Actually I work as a web developer full time using Macromedia Studio, Coldfusion, JavaScript, ASP, SQL, etc....

I like the new template...very active!

2 suggestions I see off hands:
1. do all the #FF9900 text in as gifs and outline the text in black...it will make them really stand out...
2, if you are going to display your email on the page...encrypt that part of the code using a free html encryptor (found online)... this will keep the web spiders from stealing your email address for future spamo....

See ya!

Old 11-06-2005, 09:56 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
ok, will do! i'm using dreamweaver to build this. it's the 2nd site i've ever built. so i'm soooo new....especially to dreamweaver. but i figured if I was gonna learn something, i was gonna go all-out, and not use some cookie cutter template or some microsoft product (I'm a MAC LOVER!!!!) so I started from scratch and had to learn all the tags and codes.

yah, i don't like the ff9900...especially with the gray background..but I was trying to create some sort of order to the page. with just a plain white background, it seemed "busy" but with the grey, it kind of created order to all the text on the page.

ok...let me work on that....thanks so so so so much for the input!

Old 11-06-2005, 11:06 PM
FeedBack
5th Gear
The site

The site is looking great. The work that goes into creating, maintaining and updating a club website usually goes unappreciated. So I think any thing you want to put up there is fine.

I've pm'd you a link for the email obscufator that I use.

p-

Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 PM
keikilee
5th Gear
thanks p...that link worked well and was great information. i knew that we were vulnerable to those things...but didn't know how to combat it. thanks you guys.

ok...so here's a question. The banner is a .jpg and lists the hmmc email address. my ASSUMPTION is that those web spiders/crawlers/bots won't find that, right??? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

THANKS folks!

Old 11-07-2005, 01:12 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
kewel new site!

--It looks nice Keiki! It's definitely more retail oriented but I like to buy stuff so I really like that. I also really like the speedo header at the top. The use of more black and orange is cool too. It definitely uses the space better than the old page. Cool design girl! Good job!

--pyratio

Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 AM
keikilee
5th Gear
thanks pyratio! i took that speedo pic when i first got my MINI. when I started the club, I needed a banner, and voila! that's what we ended up with. the file later disappeared on the site...i changed it a little, then re-loaded it as i worked on this new design.

everyone...thanks for your comments/suggestions. Being that I have ADD (ok, i really don't have it...but I'm pretty impatient) I went ahead and migrated about 75% of the pages. The only one I'm still working on is "Pictures" as it would require me to create another template AND update 6 additional pages that are linked to that page. *sigh*

It's ALWAYS a work in progress...one of my college professors used to always say..."continuous improvement is a way of life!"...so feel free to keep your comments/suggestions coming!

Old 11-07-2005, 02:25 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
New HMMC website

Nicely done.

Colors-
Consistent tricolor scheme, easy to read Fonts and sizes

Overall Layout-
Clear, easy to navigate.

Use of pictures-
Thumbnails were good on the home page

Logo looks good on each page.

Large Speedo distinctive and works well.

Old 11-07-2005, 02:41 AM
Kohu'ulaMINI
5th Gear
Old 11-07-2005, 08:59 AM
qweewq12
4th Gear
Originally Posted by keikilee
ok...so here's a question. The banner is a .jpg and lists the hmmc email address. my ASSUMPTION is that those web spiders/crawlers/bots won't find that, right??? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct... only craws the web source code...which is all the text...

Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 AM
cwlouis
3rd Gear
i can help out with some of the banner art ( i work as a graphic designer and web front end design ). so if you need something...just lmk..