Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

Any self car wash in Honolulu?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Any self car wash in Honolulu?

I've been looking for a cheap coin car wash in honolulu / salt lake, and I cant find any. Im not paying $60 at a detailing joint every week... I'd rather wash and wax my car myself (I just enjoy doing it) and I have no yard.

In Cali, when I had to, I used to go to Chevron and get it hand washed and dried for $5. Is there a decent hand or machine wash with a hand dry for $5-10?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:24 AM
burley
6th Gear
really? no one? I went to chevron downtown and got a decent wash in/out for $10... not bad. I'd still rather do it myself.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM
JCW04
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$10 for a Chevron wash is pretty darn good! Which location?

I usually take the lazy man route and go to McKinley Car Wash. I was hesitant at first until I saw all the Porsches and Mercedes going through the wash. Never had a problem or a scratch.

It's not cheap, I think the last time it was $16.00 but they do a full vacuum and hand dry. I usually have the tires dressed at the same time.

Almost on any Saturday or Sunday you can find a good donation car wash at the Times Supermarket in Kahala. Several times the car wash was run by ladies canoe club members. Makes sitting in the car much more enjoyable!

Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Whisky B
2nd Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
There is one self-serve wash at Valkenburgh & Bougainville near Nimitz Hwy, but its always crowded and you have to provide a military I.D. Personally, I like to use the automatic wash on the East side (Chevron) in Hawaii Kai, or the 76 wash on Beritannia and Ke'eamouku, if you go there don't let them dry your car. Instead bring a couple microfibres and do it your self. Otherwise it'll be sun-circle city all over your paint bro.

Hope that helps,

W

Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW04
$10 for a Chevron wash is pretty darn good! Which location?

I usually take the lazy man route and go to McKinley Car Wash. I was hesitant at first until I saw all the Porsches and Mercedes going through the wash. Never had a problem or a scratch.

It's not cheap, I think the last time it was $16.00 but they do a full vacuum and hand dry. I usually have the tires dressed at the same time.

Almost on any Saturday or Sunday you can find a good donation car wash at the Times Supermarket in Kahala. Several times the car wash was run by ladies canoe club members. Makes sitting in the car much more enjoyable!
I went to:

Chevron Mc Kinley Car Wash‎
1139 Kapiolani Blvd, Honolulu, HI
(808) 596-2609‎

They did a great job. Really clean an quick vacuum, machine wash, hand dry and dash wipe for $10. No swirls on the paint, and the glass had no streaks in or out. Took 10 min. Are you suppose to tip those guys?

The place to the right, next door, did a crappy job for the same amount the week before.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM
JCW04
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McKinley Car Wash

Glad to hear your MINI got a good wash. 10-minutes huh? You must have gotten in at the right time. I have waited as little as 15 and as long as 30-minutse to get in and out.

The car wash next door is a real dump and it smells like kaka too! My office has a contract to wash our vehicles there otherwise I'd never go near the place.

I have never tippped at McKinley however there is a Tip box provided. Way back the crew used to me almost entirely Samoan now it's mostly Micronesian. I think its like a third generation family business. Every now and then grandpa comes out to work the line.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM
burley
6th Gear
I got it washed at about 5-6pm... cant remember. Really quick and easy.

Anyone know of a good place to get a cheap (but correctly done) oil change? I never overpay at the dealership.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
I got it washed at about 5-6pm... cant remember. Really quick and easy.

Anyone know of a good place to get a cheap (but correctly done) oil change? I never overpay at the dealership.

Thanks!
For oil change.

Buy your own fully synthetic 5W-30 oil. MINI oil filter and O ring.
Take to any local Goodyear shop with coupon- in the mail on online or get on the mailing list at any shop. $19.95 for oil change and $3 disposal fee.

Oil changes you can do about every 5000-7000 miles or about twice as often as the dash light shows.

If you have a strut tower bar, remove it. It blocks the oil filter.

McKinley car wash is good. I do my own.