Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

Your favorite place to change your oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Your favorite place to change your oil.

Whats your favorite place (whether downtown or otherwise) to get your oil changed. Any early bird specials? I used to go to a place in KC (Jiffy Lube) where if I got there before 10am they would do a full synthetic (castrol I think) for $20.

Any good deals out there?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:03 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
Whats your favorite place (whether downtown or otherwise) to get your oil changed. Any early bird specials? I used to go to a place in KC (Jiffy Lube) where if I got there before 10am they would do a full synthetic (castrol I think) for $20.

Any good deals out there?
See your other thread for details. (carwash)

Goodyear shops- all over. Use Coupon. Coupon doesn't cover synthetic oil.
I use Goodyear for labor portion only and supply everything else. Sometimes I drop off the car and they do the change in about one hour. They tend to be open longer hours and on weekends so check with your local shop.

Fast lube and midas places are possible but make sure the mechanics are competent. No damaging the oil filter threads on the engine block (cross thread) or damage to the oil drain plug.

Many of us don't use Castrol oils.

There are better fully synthetic oils to choose from- costs more but likely better products.

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...g-competitors/

Check out-
Redline
Amsoil
Mobil One
Royal Purple

I let the dealership use Castrol which they are required to use but I use other oils for changes in between.

Mobil 1's make up is PAO base stock (Group IV, true synthetic) and and Castrol Syntec is hydroisomerized petroleum base stock (Group III, dewaxed convential oil).

Old 09-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats your favorite place ... to get your oil changed.
You really should learn to do it yourself. I can't see how any place can do a $20 oil change with quality oil and filter. I either use German Castrol 0-30 which can be $6-7 a quart or Mobil 1 @ about $5.00 a quart and an OEM Mini filter at $8.00. So at minimum the parts are $25-30.

It takes me about an hour and I use the time to re-torque my plugs, fill and/or check all the fluids, check tires and generally look around.

You will need a couple of special tools and I suggest a set of ramps and a good oil drain canister. On the 2003 getting the canister on can be tricky until you do it a couple of times but doing it yourself guaranties it gets done right.

I do this every 5000 miles.

Rich

Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite place is my driveway. OEM filter from the internet, Royal Purple---(be easy, lurkers. I'm not trying to start an oil debate ), and about half an hour. If I didn't have a driveway, I'd do it at the curb.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I have no driveway I sold my house on the mainland, and I now live in a small condo with no yard. With that said, wheres your favorite place to take your car for a full synthetic at a decent price for the mechanically declined.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:42 AM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if I didn't have another way to DIY, I'd go to my local service station--not a Jiffy Lube or similar place. At my local station I know the mechanic will take the time to do it right. At these jiffy quickie places, you're not getting anything approaching a mechanic. I want a guy that has some appreciation for machinery, not someone whose interest in the job comes from the challenge of seeing how fast he can do it without stripping bolts and your car is his trial case.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:48 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
I have no driveway I sold my house on the mainland, and I now live in a small condo with no yard. With that said, wheres your favorite place to take your car for a full synthetic at a decent price for the mechanically declined.
Where in Honolulu do you live?

You can price shops that charge for doing everything. But I think it will be pricey like the dealerships if they have to provide the filter, O ring and full synthetic oil.

Much cheaper to supply the oil and filter yourself, not hard to find. Then pay only the labor using a coupon if possible and disposal fee.

If you live near to a shop you can drop off your car and walk home or bus home then come back in one or two hours to pick up.

I often drop off my MCS at a shop near to work and pick up at lunchtime or after work. Very easy.