Auto. Vs. stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 12:54 PM
RIPPER
4th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts
Auto. Vs. stick

Hey everyone, this question is for people with auto. It’s always been m impression that you need to have a stick when you have a four cylinder engine. I realize that four bangers are more powerful then in the past and I wanted to ask opinions of jcw owners with autos if they feel like the auto is as fun to drive as a stick. Do you feel like an auto shifts as strong and will the auto handle power mods as good as a stick as I can’t leave any of my vehicles stock. Thanks in advance for all if any responses.
the reason for my question is that I’m wanting to buy a jcw and I’m not opposed to a lightly used one but all the ones I’ve found for sale are autos so, it got me thinking that maybe the autos aren’t as fun and that’s why no one seems to be selling the manual’s

Old 11-12-2023, 06:45 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
I get that people like to drive cars with manual transmissions. But, because of rev hang, a driver cannot upshift a manual transmission in a MINI as fast a he could with the JCW 8 speed auto. And the downshifts are perfect (when manually shifted) in the 8sp auto. Also, the 8sp auto has a lockup clutch. If, when shifted manually, I upshift at higher rpm( maybe above 3500 rpm) the upshifts are hard and fast.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:56 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
There are many advantages of a manual transmission on a MINI. I find that it is also a very cost effective millennial anti-theft device.

The following 4 users liked this post by buzzsaw:
EmedpaDHSc (01-07-2024), Hangar (03-06-2024), RIPPER (12-11-2023), veggivet (01-25-2024)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:21 AM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by maccoder:
RIPPER (12-11-2023), veggivet (01-25-2024)
Old 11-13-2023, 09:59 AM
Cableaddict
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
^ OMG, that's funny.

Also, the rear seats don't give them enough personal space, so no worries getting jacked by a crew of 3 or more.
=================================================

Regarding the OP's questions:

I drove manuals all my life, including several lightweight 1960's era sports cars. Loved it. However, I actually prefer paddle shifters, if the tranny responds well.
I drove a recent Mini "S" with the 7-speed dual clutch and paddles, and absolutely loved it.

However, I purchased a 2024 F57 JCW, which is only available with full manual or 8 speed auto. I was not able to test-drive one, as they are very rare on dealer lots, but I figured, if it's good enough for the GP3....
Well, no, it's not good enough. In full auto and sport mode, it is indeed incredibly fast. However, when using the paddles, the shifts are infuriatingly slow. Ughh...

====================================

- And for anyone reading this and thinking" "Why not buy an "S" with the DC 7-speed, then upgrade the engine? - I don't recommend it:
First, you'd ideally want to change the pistons so as to lower the compression ratio before adding boost. . Not required, but a very good idea since that's how the JCW engine is set up.

Second, and more importantly, the reason the JCW, let alone the GP, isn't offered with that 7-speed DC is because it can't safely handle the extra torque.
Anyone adding power to a non-JCW "S" automatic is seriously rolling the dice.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-03-2024 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RIPPER (12-11-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 07:01 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by RIPPER
Hey everyone, this question is for people with auto. It’s always been m impression that you need to have a stick when you have a four cylinder engine. I realize that four bangers are more powerful then in the past and I wanted to ask opinions of jcw owners with autos if they feel like the auto is as fun to drive as a stick. Do you feel like an auto shifts as strong and will the auto handle power mods as good as a stick as I can’t leave any of my vehicles stock. Thanks in advance for all if any responses.
the reason for my question is that I’m wanting to buy a jcw and I’m not opposed to a lightly used one but all the ones I’ve found for sale are autos so, it got me thinking that maybe the autos aren’t as fun and that’s why no one seems to be selling the manual’s
Most likely explanation for the number of used JCWs with automatics is most new ones are sold with automatics.

No experience with a JCW with an automatic (my 2018 and my 2023 JCWs came with 6-speed manuals). But my 2022 MINI S -- which I owned between both JCWs -- came with a 7-speed dual clutch transmission. That was one marvelous transmission. 'course, the automatic in the JCW is not the 7-speed dual clutch variety but the torque converter style albeit with 8 speeds.

The 7-speed dual clutch transmission shifted very quickly. Much quicker I'm sure than I could have shifted the manual.

As an aside both my JCWs offered rev match when downshifting in sport mode. (My 2023 BMW M2 with a 6-speed manual also offers rev match on downshifts but doesn't have to be in sport mode. Sweet!) Thus downshifts are very quick. Up shifts are quick, too, relatively speaking but not as fast as an automatic's up shift speed.

Don't know how much power the JCW automatic can take. But I believe the S 7-speed dual clutch transmission was rated to about 220 ft/lbs of torque. The S engine made 207 ft/lbs of torque (and 189hp). The JCW makes 236 ft/lbs of torque (and 228hp). If the JCW automatic has the same margin as the automatic in the S there is not much margin for increasing the power/torque of the JCW engine.

My biggest knock against automatics is more and more automakers are claiming the automatic transmission fluid is "lifetime". As my auto mechanic buddies used to ask: Lifetime of what? Without fluid servicing the lifetime is that of the transmission...

So I tend towards vehicles with manuals.

RIPPER (12-11-2023)
Old 11-15-2023, 10:31 PM
ridgeracer
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ironically I have not driven a manual mini *yet*… I'm started to look for a second Mini (this time in manual). I've owned other various Manual cars. I find manual to be more engaging and fun, feel much more in tune with the car and in control. The 8speed Auto in my GP is way faster though, downshifts while not terrible are not great or satisfying. The coolest thing about the 8 speed auto is just putting it in sport mode, you can be cruising on the highway in 7th gear hit the gas and it drops down to 3rd and flies... I love that. Really surprises people too because they don't hear you downshifting multiple gears, just kicks down and takes off like a rocket. I would say for pure speed/winning races... automatic or DCT is the way... but for pure enjoyment/engagement I would like a manual.

RIPPER (12-11-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 07:38 AM
Cableaddict
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
In case you haven't heard yet -

The 2025 minis (including the JCW) will be coming with, to quote Motor1 magazine: "a revised 7 speed dual clutch (DCT) with JCW specific software for more aggressive programing which should decrease shift times." (No manual tranny will be offered, BTW.)

The reason Mini used the 8 speed torque converter for both the JCW and GP3 is because the current 7 speed DC can't safely handle the extra torque of those engines. This new one will evidently even handle the GP, and will shift faster than the current 7-speed on the "S".

Sounds like a winner to me. I'm hoping it will be possible to retrofit them into an older Mini automatic.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-03-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2023, 12:38 PM
macpdm
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have come to think its an age thing. I seem to be enjoying the DCT auto in our Cooper S Countryman with JCW extras. I always used to enjoy a manual gearbox. As was most common in the UK. I would spend enormous amounts of money on modifications. But the Countryman manages to still be enjoyable to drive. With quick and smooth changes. The paddle shift changes seem quite quick too. Although I dont usually bother using them. And the car feels quite sporty overall. I just dont seem to have the desire for a manual anymore. Also traffic is so much less tiring now.

RIPPER (12-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2023, 07:11 PM
RIPPER
4th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s everyone. The reason I was asking is because there is a gp3 at a local dealership with 15000 miles on it and I offered them $39,000 which I felt was a fair offer considering I don’t know how those 15k miles were driven and book value says 38,000. At least in my state. If I paid their price I would end up paying 45k for a used car that cost the same brand new and I just refuse to do that.
i know it’s limited but I’m tired of dealerships selling us cars at msrp or more and then when you trade them in , they lowball you and then put them on the lot for almost brand new price.

on a side note, I’ve read a couple of times on this site people say gp4, even in this thread. Is there some info out there about a gen 4 GP that I haven’t heard about?

if they make the GP4 and it’s electric, They can shove it. I refuse to sit in line to charge my car when I can be in and out at a gas station and the fact that they use child labor to mine colbalt for the battery means I will never own an electric car. Thank god in already 58 and won’t have to worry about all cars being electric before I kick the bucket

Last edited by RIPPER; 12-11-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:19 PM
MikeMJCW
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ridgeracer
Ironically I have not driven a manual mini *yet*… I'm started to look for a second Mini (this time in manual). I've owned other various Manual cars. I find manual to be more engaging and fun, feel much more in tune with the car and in control. The 8speed Auto in my GP is way faster though, downshifts while not terrible are not great or satisfying. The coolest thing about the 8 speed auto is just putting it in sport mode, you can be cruising on the highway in 7th gear hit the gas and it drops down to 3rd and flies... I love that. Really surprises people too because they don't hear you downshifting multiple gears, just kicks down and takes off like a rocket. I would say for pure speed/winning races... automatic or DCT is the way... but for pure enjoyment/engagement I would like a manual.
I hesitated grabbing a new GP3 when they came out as I was stuck in the manual mindset. After a few months I'm not only used to it but I find the paddles super fun. As mentioned above the automatics just go, no maual shift "lag time".

Old 01-29-2024, 05:22 AM
jpreston
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Aisin eight speed is pretty good, but you do have to modulate the throttle in the lower gears or it can hesitate to shift. I think this is the transmission protecting itself from the torque that the motor can put out. It only happens for me in 1->2 and occasionally 2->3 and under heavy acceleration or rapid transition from braking back to acceleration. The shift from 3->4 and up are tall enough gears that it doesn't seem to be an issue there.

The paddles are very good, but I do wish that they had longer ears because it is inconvenient to try to shift while making a sharp turn at a street corner; it means having to either hold 2 longer than optimal or drop my right hand off the wheel to tap the shift lever for the 2->3 shift. It's not a big deal on the street but come autocross season we'll see how things work out, more on that once the season starts in April.

The problem is that I've driven modern VWs with the DSG transmission and that system is flat out faster to shift by a good tenth of a second or better.

Last edited by jpreston; 03-25-2024 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarified shift points