GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Tell me more about the GP I am waiting on!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:47 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell me more about the GP I am waiting on!!!

Fellow GP owners,

Hey from Colorado!! I am getting GP1292 end of October/early November and I have questions about it I'd like to ask a current owner because my dealer does not know Jack Schitt.

ANYway, do they have:
-the harmon kardon system (6 or 8 spkrs)?
-so it has heated seats but does it have heated mirrors?
-how DO the seats look....really??
-is the mx program any different that I know on my 2003 MC with cvt?
-does it have runflats?
-my dealer says it's on a ship but the website for WW does not have it. Is there another shipper perhaps because the GP's do not ship from Oxford?
-what did I miss?

Thanks a bunch!
Tim
iflyMINI

Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting GP1292 end of October/early November
CONGRATULATIONS!!

ANYway, do they have:
-the harmon kardon system (6 or 8 spkrs)? No it has two cheap speakers in teh front..

-so it has heated seats but does it have heated mirrors?
No heated mirrors

Nice and confy but not as cool as the Rocaro EU seats..

-does it have runflats?
YES

-
my dealer says it's on a ship but the website for WW does not have it. Is there another shipper perhaps because the GP's do not ship from Oxford?
The VIN # 's different because the GP is from Italy and , won't show up easily so even when you are trying to insure the car there is a little confusion.

Once you see your GP you are going to be very , very pleased !!

Welcome to a select group of MINI owners !!!

La Strega,

Proud owner of these two Little Ones

Old 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM
CooperSRacer
1st Gear
lastrega was a little off on a couple of the answers he gave so here goes:

Originally Posted by iflymini
-the harmon kardon system (6 or 8 spkrs)?
It's actually 4 speakers. And according to Todd's review from http://motoringfile.com/2006/08/21/m...oper-works-gp/
the headunit is different from that on any US-spec MINI he's ever seen.

Objectively speaking, they look like this:

Like lastrega said, they're not as functional or as cool as the Recaro seats that the Euro cars get however. see: Euro GP Recaro seats

-is the mx program any different that I know on my 2003 MC with cvt?
I'm not sure what you're talking about here....

-does it have runflats?
Yup. 205/40-18 Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST. According to Tirerack.com they'll run you oh....$260 a tire.
Tirerack

-my dealer says it's on a ship but the website for WW does not have it. Is there another shipper perhaps because the GP's do not ship from Oxford?
-what did I miss?

Thanks a bunch!
Tim
iflyMINI
Has your dealer given you the production number for your GP? If so, you can register at ol.miniusa.com . From there you can track your MINI and under details, you can get your GP's VIN Number. Then go and enter it in the auto (car) cargo tracking site for WW and you should see which ship it's on.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 PM
lastrega
6th Gear
I never said that GP has HK system .. I stand corrected the GP has 4 speakers but the sound is still pretty lousy .. but I must admit that the GP own sound is must better than any audio system... nevertheless I wil replace radio and speakers soon.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:56 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
Thanks for the information everyone! I too will no doubt replace my speakers with some HK's like I have in my 2003 MC. Considering the speakers are HK or NOT what about the actual stereo unit in the dash? Is there a HK one and a regular stock one?

Motor on!

Old 10-10-2006, 08:58 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
Hey Lastrega, I notice in pics that there are two round what look like cutouts on each side of the boot on the inside. It appears these two places may make a nice location for a couple of round speakers. Being that you actually have your GP now; what do ya think? I am not a BASS or BOOMBOX person; I just like good sound!

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:57 AM
lastrega
6th Gear
I am planning to change the MINI radio with an in-dash GPS/ Blue Tooth/IPod system: either a Pioneer or Kenwood and replace the speakers as well but I am not going to put any additional speakers in the back . I am not a Bass person and I DO like the sounds of my GyPsy so ..if I want to enjoy music I have to motor with the MCSC.

Saturday I will get my windows tinted and I am planning to get the clear bra (gathering prices and locations, at this time ), next I will get the Dinan Strut Brace. ... ..

I should have picked up gardening as hobby .. it would have been cheaper but I prefer to kill cones than kill plants !!!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:19 AM
iflymini
4th Gear
Lastrega, thanks for the info. Sounds like you sort of track yours....I have never done that with my 2003 MC Velvet Red wheels. I ordered it with everything they had and kept it stock(?) aside from some things like glove box organizer, clear bra, and window tint. She has only 23k on her and I do hate to see her go when the GP1292 comes in late October or early November. The only thing it really needs is a new set of tires. Always garaged and never over 100mph. Every service record and piece of propaganda. My dealer is amazed at how good of shape she is. They offered me 16,200 trade. I am undecided if I will sell her myself for trade in. Do you think that is a good deal?

The GP is a new experience for me in that I never even drove an S. I have owned very few sticks or even sports cars. I drive 13 miles to work everyday and hit the airport often for biz travel. I am stoked about such a cool car and owning something rare and unique and will hold even better resale value than my MC has (it's great).

I'd love to hear more about yours and your experience.

Tim
iflyMINI

Old 10-10-2006, 11:50 AM
GPowner
2nd Gear
[

Has your dealer given you the production number for your GP? If so, you can register at ol.miniusa.com . From there you can track your MINI and under details, you can get your GP's VIN Number. Then go and enter it in the auto (car) cargo tracking site for WW and you should see which ship it's on. [/quote]
I tried this. the system doesn't see my car! My dealer says it's on the boat. Are the GP's coming another way besides WW?

Old 10-10-2006, 12:08 PM
iflymini
4th Gear
I think I have came close to crashing the ww website for auto cargo tracking. The STILL do not show my VIN. Perhaps it's another company moving mine. I am in the OL but that's way old info according to what my dealer and ASK MINI says.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:16 PM
CooperSRacer
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GPowner
[

Has your dealer given you the production number for your GP? If so, you can register at ol.miniusa.com . From there you can track your MINI and under details, you can get your GP's VIN Number. Then go and enter it in the auto (car) cargo tracking site for WW and you should see which ship it's on.
I tried this. the system doesn't see my car! My dealer says it's on the boat. Are the GP's coming another way besides WW?[/QUOTE]

they very well could be. i'm not really sure where else to point you

Old 10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
you will love it..... plain and simple.... they are really great!