GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Rear camber and cross competition coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear camber and cross competition coilovers

I am getting ready to install some Cross Competition Coilovers on my GP. I'll probably run them at the highest height.

Are the stock GP control arms adjustable? Does anyone know if I will need to add some (lower?) rear control arms to get a proper camber adjustment? If yes, do you have any recommendations for control arms? I'd like to stay away from anything that might introduce more vibration. I saw one post that the Ireland Engineering control arms might be a good way to go.

Is there anything else I should know about or prepare for before the installation?

Thanks,

Lee

Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Supposedly they are somewhat adjustable by concentric bolt?

Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The GP rear lower control arms are adjustable but there is not much adjustment. With my stock JCW suspension the adjustment only goes to about -1.5 degrees. If you go lower than the JCW suspension you might need aftermarket rear lower control arms to dial out the additional negative camber induced from the lowering unless you just live with more than -1.5 degrees of negative camber. I have my front camber at -2.2 and I live with the rear at -1.5. I would like a little less in the rear but it is not worth the expense just to remove a coule tenths of a degree.

I had the Hotchkis (H-Sport) adjustable control arms on my previous 2003 MCS for about 10,000 miles and they were great. Easy to adjust, strong, no noise, grease fitting, and no added NVH. Here is a link.
http://www.hotchkis.net/mini_cooper_sport_rear_camber_link.html

Be careful on which arms you get because some do make a lot of noise.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 AM
whsky2
Neutral
I went with the Eibachs. Have had them on my '02 for over 4 years. Never had any additional vibration from them.

Cheers.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've had great luck with the Hsports
http://www.waymotorworks.com/product...0&cat=0&page=1
The GP does have eccentric bolts on the rear, but you usually can't get enough adjustment with them. The adjustable arms will allow you to dial the camber in and make it even on both sides.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 AM
leebo
1st Gear
Thanks Guys.

From my research, it appears that:

The Eibach arms/links are made by SPC and have rubber bushings.

The H-Sport links have polyurethane bushings with zerk fittings for lubrication. Should I expect a little more vibration and possibly some squeaking (quikmini reports no squeaking from his experience) from these comnpared to a link with a rubber bushing? How often do they need to be lubricated, and what kind of grease is used?

I see that TSW (Texas Speedwerks) offers a set with rubber bushings - does anyone know how these compare to the others?

Would the Alta links with heim joints definitely cause some vibration and be noisy?

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited by leebo; 04-11-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
I'm running the H-Sports and didn't notice any increase in discomfort

Probably not a concern, but as was recently pointed out on another thread the Alta heim joints have some serious classing implications if you autocross under SCCA rules - they'll bump you to SM (Street Mod), where the lions and tigers and bears live...

Old 04-11-2009, 11:02 AM
AstroBlackS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the alta with the spherical bushings, and I honestly don't notice any extra noise or vibration from them at all.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
on 04 MCS I also had H-Sport upper and lower control arms they came with several small "energy suspension" tubes of sillico type grease, and also no noise at all. I set them at -1 on rears and 2.5 for front. For the GP, the blue bothers me, I know BMP sells Red H-sport control arms.

Last edited by howsoonisnow1985; 04-11-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
on 04 MCS I also had H-Sport upper and lower control arms they came with several small "energy suspension" tubes of sillico type grease, and also no noise at all. I set them at -1 on rears and 2. For the GP, the blue bothers me, I know BMP sells Red H-sport control arms.
Thanks - I'm not familair with BMP. Do you have a link for them? I'm in the U.S.

Lee

Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
iwantoneofthose
1st Gear
Location: formerly a grass shack in Hawaii, now N. Phoenix, AZ
BMP is more known for BMW performance...later branched out to Mini as well.

http://www.promini.com/

Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Thanks for link, thats weird they don't have them anymore? But in my old catolog they do have them. Those billet aluminum are SPC arms right? They look nice in that close up pic.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by howsoonisnow1985
Thanks for link, thats weird they don't have them anymore? But in my old catolog they do have them. Those billet aluminum are SPC arms right? They look nice in that close up pic.
Yes, the billet aluminum arms on the promini site appear to be the SPC/Eibach arms.

I found them on the Summit Racing site as an Eibach product for a little less. The Eibach part number is: 5.67610K.

Lee

Old 05-08-2009, 11:57 AM
silversmoke06
Banned
Lee is this you trying to fix the ride isssues you found with your GP?
Im very glad to see that you have not sold it, However if you do. I would prefer to be on the short list of places for it to go.
Also further more. If you ever want to go out just for a run ill be tottaly up for it.
By the way it might not be a terrible idea to call Danny at Mini Corsa and ask his oppinion. for the camber arms (818) 944-0338
Back on track, You know that you can order the Cross Coils with almost any Spring rate you Choose to further your ride quality.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:44 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by silversmoke06
Lee is this you trying to fix the ride isssues you found with your GP?
Im very glad to see that you have not sold it, However if you do. I would prefer to be on the short list of places for it to go.
Also further more. If you ever want to go out just for a run ill be tottaly up for it.
By the way it might not be a terrible idea to call Danny at Mini Corsa and ask his oppinion. for the camber arms (818) 944-0338
Back on track, You know that you can order the Cross Coils with almost any Spring rate you Choose to further your ride quality.
Yes, this is part of my plan to make the GP ride more to my liking after doing all I can with wheels and tires (running 205/55 16 now). After doing some research on the lower control arms, I've decided to get uppers and lowers with greaseable rod ends from Out-Pace per this posting from Steve (Flyboy2160): https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...trol-arms.html

I've been talking to the guys at Cross about setup and also user Ninjlao here about different spring configurations. I also talked to Danny at MniCorsa about possibly doing the install.

Based on positive feedback from other Cross Coilover owners that have replaced the Cross springs with Swift springs, I may swap out the Cross springs for Swift.

I ended up doing more research than I anticipated, but am learning a lot in the process . I think an alternative simpler and cheaper approach would be to try some Koni Yellow shocks or maybe FSD's, but there is less flexibility doing that.

I'll keep you in mind in case I decide to sell it in the future.

Lee

Old 05-08-2009, 03:21 PM
silversmoke06
Banned
Talk to Longboard about the FSDs i know that he had them and now has a set of coilovers.
and he uses his car for a dailydriver and nothing else.
See if you can get cross to ship out your coilovers without springs.
its possible they will do it saving you some money.
I also do not know if the Gp has the HID headlights if it dose then adding Upper Camber arms will disrupt the way the headlamp adjusts so be aware of this change.
Theres a lot of posts on this sight from someone now called Guest From agoura hills.
Hes got alot of good info in suspension, His experence with it is this
Its better to spend the good money on Coilovers rather than F with a whole load of shock and spring kits, Because in the end the coils are what you will wind up with.
Furthermore. would you at all mind if i came up for a ride after you get settled on your suspension.
I know your about 5 miles north of me.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Stability Arm?

One other question:

I saw a reference in a camber link installation guide to an upper bracket used to to reconnect the stability arm to the camber link on "vehicles with the stability option". Does the GP have have this stability arm? I assume this is related to Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) or something similar.

Thanks,

Lee

Old 05-16-2009, 05:34 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Lee
I believe what they are refering to is the HID headlamp auto adjuster. The GP does not have these headlamps and would not have the adjuster.
How are you progressing on your suspension switch over?
Steve

Originally Posted by leebo
One other question:

I saw a reference in a camber link installation guide to an upper bracket used to to reconnect the stability arm to the camber link on "vehicles with the stability option". Does the GP have have this stability arm? I assume this is related to Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) or something similar.

Thanks,

Lee

Old 05-16-2009, 08:32 AM
leebo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
Lee
I believe what they are refering to is the HID headlamp auto adjuster. The GP does not have these headlamps and would not have the adjuster.
How are you progressing on your suspension switch over?
Steve
Thanks Steve - I'm not sure how they came up with this wording if it's for the HID headlamp leveling system, but you may be right.

I'm waiting for the control arms from Out-Pace which I expect to have next week; They are machining some custom pieces for the rod end mounts.

I am also trying to decide if I'll try the springs that came with the Cross coilovers (8kgf/mm 448 lbs/in,7kgf/mm 392 ilb/in) or swap them out for softer Swift springs before they get installed. I'm concerned that the stock spring rates will be too high for me.

Lee

Old 05-16-2009, 04:34 PM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Lee
I don't know if you have these bushings or not but you will need them for the rear coilovers.
http://www.helix13.com/mini/products/suspension-chasis
Steve

Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Lee
I don't know if you have these bushings or not but you will need them for the rear coilovers.
http://www.helix13.com/mini/products/suspension-chasis
Steve
Hi Steve,

Yes, I have some coming from Way Motor Works.

Do you know if there are any one-time use bolts that I might need to replace?

Thanks again,

Lee

Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Lee
Without looking it up to be sure I do not believe there are any one time use bolts for the coilovers or the rear controll arms. A Bently or Haynes manual would tell you for sure. If you may be thinking of doing a lower front brace then the bolts that secure the controll arm bushing carrier are a one time use. The torque specification on those are a little different. Off the top of my head I think it is 44ft/lbs + 90 deg.
Steve

Originally Posted by leebo
Hi Steve,

Yes, I have some coming from Way Motor Works.

Do you know if there are any one-time use bolts that I might need to replace?

Thanks again,

Lee

Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 AM
leebo
1st Gear
Lee
Without looking it up to be sure I do not believe there are any one time use bolts for the coilovers or the rear controll arms. A Bently or Haynes manual would tell you for sure. If you may be thinking of doing a lower front brace then the bolts that secure the controll arm bushing carrier are a one time use. The torque specification on those are a little different. Off the top of my head I think it is 44ft/lbs + 90 deg.
Steve
Thanks Steve,

I have a Bentley manual for models up to 2006, but it doesn't appear to cover/address the differences in the GP suspension. It also has instructions for removing/installing the rear upper control arm, but not the rear lower control arm.

It looks like there are self locking nuts for the stabilizer bar links that are one time use, but I guess these are not needed if I'm not replacing the stabilizer bar links.

Lee

Old 06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
jfh342
1st Gear
Lee,
I see that you have decided to go in a different direction for your suspension and are selling the Cross coilovers. After all the research you have done regarding the Cross setup, I'm interested in hearing what you have decided to do instead.
Thanks,
John

Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 PM
leebo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jfh342
Lee,
I see that you have decided to go in a different direction for your suspension and are selling the Cross coilovers. After all the research you have done regarding the Cross setup, I'm interested in hearing what you have decided to do instead.
Thanks,
John
Hi John,

After going for rides in Bryan/Longboard Mini's R53 with H&R Sreet Performance coilovers and Mat/Minifiends car with the Cross setup, I decided the H&R ride was what I was looking for. I should have done that earlier.

Many people had praised the ride and performance that the Cross coilovers provided, but I think their subjective judgement on desired/experienced comfort is different than mine. The Cross system would be better for track and autocross, but that's not a priority for me.

Lee

Quick Reply: Rear camber and cross competition coilovers