General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is waving dead??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:50 PM
SashaSolitaire
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is waving dead??

Spent three days in the Hamptons over the long weekend. Saw at least 50 MINIs......I was waving and flashing my lights like crazy and only TWO waved back!!!!!!!!

What gives?? My wife was like, "Stop doing it....no one even cares!!!"

But I'll still keep on waving!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:00 PM
04MountainMINI
1st Gear
Waving will never die !!!

Keep on Waving!

Motor to Colorado Springs, we wave all the time. Tell your wife its just part of the MINI lifestyle. You just got to do it.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:05 PM
gekko
3rd Gear
I too feel sometimes that waving is dead, but then you get someone who waves back and it makes it all worthwhile. Just think, you might be the person who restores faith in someone else just when they were going to quit.

I just flash a wave to the MINIs I see as a way of saying "represent!" If they don't see or don't wave back, no loss. You still got to wave at their MINI!

I used to have a Jeep and the waving was just as inconsistent, but still fun.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I wave whenever possible, or flash the high-beams, or toot the horn! I would say about 50% of the time I get a friendly acknowledgement. Not too bad, considering there are about 8+ dealerships in the greater SoCal area!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:18 PM
powerband
3rd Gear
Do you know these people you wave at?

Just kidding!

When a car model is relatively new and still exists in small numbers, you're more likely to belong to an exclusive community that waves. When the same car becomes very popular, it brings in a large pool of non-enthusiasts, many of whom just get stumped that they get waved at by a total stranger. In the Chrysler Prowler, for example, you're likely to receive waves from other Prowler owners, but in a BMW 325i, you're likely to be thought of as a stalker or a freak, at best.

In any case, come to the Bay Area, California. I'll make it a point to throw a wave at you!

Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I waved at 8 MINIs today and got 0 back--these were head on--I see you coming, hand out the window--Hey What's Up???-----$%#^#^$% thanks for making me feel like a fool you non waver.

I go into a wave knowing full well this person isn't likely to respond so oh well, I get to stretch my arm out for a moment.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:46 PM
jaayou
2nd Gear
Since August, I've only had two people wave back at me. The other 10 times, I think I might of been going by too fast for them to see me wave at them!

I hope it's not dead, it's just a good feeling when someone waves back.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
I waved at 8 MINIs today and got 0 back--these were head on--I see you coming, hand out the window--Hey What's Up???-----$%#^#^$% thanks for making me feel like a fool you non waver.

I go into a wave knowing full well this person isn't likely to respond so oh well, I get to stretch my arm out for a moment.
Richard, whenever I drive on Centinela, I see at least 3 or more MINIs within a very short time! If I can catch the other MINI drivers' eyes, they generally smile back at the silly lady waving at them!

I get lots of thumbs-up and nods from motorcyclists and folks in classic British cars.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 PM
OctaneGuy
Oh, it's highly dependent on where you are of course. Costco Marina is an example of such a place that I've never gotten waves, only confused looks, also Sunset from PCH through Pacific Palisades through Santa Monica has very few wavers as well.

Originally Posted by MINIclo
Richard, whenever I drive on Centinela, I see at least 3 or more MINIs within a very short time! If I can catch the other MINI drivers' eyes, they generally smile back at the silly lady waving at them!

I get lots of thumbs-up and nods from motorcyclists and folks in classic British cars.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Oh, it's highly dependent on where you are of course. Costco Marina is an example of such a place that I've never gotten waves, only confused looks, also Sunset from PCH through Pacific Palisades through Santa Monica has very few wavers as well.
Oh well, those must be the folks who bought off the lot and have no clue that the MINI community and sites exist!

Old 09-06-2006, 12:10 AM
OctaneGuy
It's funny. I was on a cruise for the past week in Hawaii, and of course I brought all my MINI t-shirts with me. One day this elderly guy walks up to me, "You work for MINI?"

I say "Nope, just an obsessed enthusiast"

He says "I just got a MINI Cooper --pauses for effect and says "S" with a smile--Convertible. You know the best part about it?"

I say "Hmm, no?"

"I got it for FREE! My son bought it for me"
"You know I can get more than 200 HP with that JCW thing???"

I say "Yep! Congratulations! Are you on NAM---or any MINI forums?"

"Naww, I don't have time for that crap, I just love to drive. I don't want to talk about my car. I have better things to do with my time!"

He walks me over to his wife and smiles to her, "Meet Richard, he owns a MINI."

"Oooh that's nice! Did you know WE have a MINI Cooper Convertible??"
She leans close to me and gives me this sly smile
"It's an S"
Expecting me to be wowed, I say "Yes, that's a nice car"
She says "Do you know what the best thing about it is??"
"Uhm, that you got it for free???
"Yep!"

LOL, I was cracking up.

Oh well, those must be the folks who bought off the lot and have no clue that the MINI community and sites exist!

Old 09-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Take a look in the Chicago MINI Spottings thread I've pointed out well over a hundred MINIs in the area since the end of spring only 3 are NAM members.

Thats a neat story Octance Guy.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Great story, Richard! They sound like a cute couple.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Willbesurfing
5th Gear
Yeah that's a funny story. I have mine on order and when I get it, I will be sure to wave every single time!

Old 09-06-2006, 03:58 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
With more and more people driving a MINI with an auto tranny they have no excuse not to wave

Old 09-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Willbesurfing
5th Gear
Well between talking on the cell, eating and workin the tunes.....geez you'd think they'd have no prob waving. I mean come on....!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:51 AM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
I've had the same "no wave" response near Allentown, PA. I don't understand it.

I own a motorcycle, and used to own a Jeep. I actually get sick of the waving; it's not like they are rare or something...

Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 AM
CooperGear
Banned
I wave at EVERY MINI I see and have enough time to wave at. Sure this is tough on the tollway but on surface roads always. When I was on MTTS I waved like crazy at all kinds of cars as I passed them and as they passed me.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:04 AM
lilcoopr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gekko
I too feel sometimes that waving is dead, but then you get someone who waves back and it makes it all worthwhile. Just think, you might be the person who restores faith in someone else just when they were going to quit.
Yeah!! I hope everyone will keep waving, I know I do!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:06 AM
SLOTKAR
2nd Gear
Still alive in the Pacific NW . More often than not I get a wave/flash back and most show some interest.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:13 AM
Batman1usa
3rd Gear
I'm a High beam Flasher, my windows are dark and I'm not sure people can see me wave.

As someone eluded to a lot of the newer buyers are not in touch with the MINI community like some of us earlier buyers. Some of them are younger people and think what's that ole'man waving at me for?
If taking a pole most of these non~wavers would probably not even know of this site or any Mini sites for that matter.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Come to Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains and the WAVING MINI's will sure be sweet when the wind comes right behind the rain.

Batman

Old 09-06-2006, 05:22 AM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Take a look in the Chicago MINI Spottings thread I've pointed out well over a hundred MINIs in the area since the end of spring only 3 are NAM members.
I would be one of those crazy wavers though we haven't actually crossed paths...

Originally Posted by blockh102
I wave at EVERY MINI I see and have enough time to wave at. Sure this is tough on the tollway but on surface roads always. When I was on MTTS I waved like crazy at all kinds of cars as I passed them and as they passed me.
Same here Blake!!! Always such great fun!!!

Unfortunately, since I've changed my work schedule slightly, I haven't crossed any MINIs during my commute lately But I'm definitely a waver

Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Ords
6th Gear
Long Live Wavers!

I always wave, even if I think they see me or not.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:10 AM
pottermom
6th Gear
Since getting the car I've seen several minis around town. One Saturday we counted six just between our house and the mall. I have only gotten one wave... from a nice LY that shared a stoplight with me. Everyone else ignores the waves... well except for the guy that gave me the finger... he was doing about 95 mph during rush hour and everyone was getting his signature "wave" from him if they dared to be doing only 70 in the 60 zone. I can do without that kind of wave.

I think that many people are not enthusiasts, they are just drivers.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
MINIs have become so ubiquitous here that no-one waves anymore I guess they all think I'm nuts for waving....

Quick Reply: Is waving dead??