General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Countryman S vs. Countryman S All4

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 AM
Dinski
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Countryman S vs. Countryman S All4

Hello everyone, I'm new here and am on the verge of purchasing a new Countryman. I would love your help with helping me make an informed decision.

I am deciding between 2 similarly priced vehicle. A Countryman S that has more equipment: gravity leather, auto, city package, premier package, satellite radio, center arm rest, heated seats is the first vehicle.

The second is the ALL4, I can get for about $600 cheaper, but it has less equipment in that it contains: cold weather package, premier package, auto, just the leatherette interior, satellite radio, center arm rest and flat load floor.

I guess my question is, which one do you think is the better buy. We like both cars almost equally. Is the ALL 4 better, is the gravity leather really that much better. I have not been in the car with gravity leather so I don't know how much nicer it is.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:07 PM
nd3boy
2nd Gear
I guess one thing to consider is, what type of climate do you live in? Is there a need for the All4? My S performs just fine in the snow here in Indiana and when I move to VT, I'll throw some snow tires on it.

Pricing sounds the same, you could prolly negotiate that $600 off the S. I have leatherette and enjoy it.

I think the climate and need for AWD is the more important question in my opinion.

*I am editing this post to add some additional thoughts

Spent some time just now looking at the packages for each and options

S
City (Alarm System, Heated Power Folding Mirrors, Comfort Access System, Auto-dimming Interior and Exterior Mirrors, Park Distance Control (rear only))
Premier (Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof, Auto Rain Sensor, Auto Headlights, Auto AC w/Active Carbon Air Filter)

All4
Cold (Heated Power Folding Mirrors, Heated Washer Jets, Heated Front Seats, Retractable Headlight Washers (only with Xenon Headlights)
Premier (Dual Pane Panoramic Sunroof, Auto Rain Sensor, Auto Headlights, Auto AC w/Active Carbon Air Filter)

In terms of features the S is better equipped as we know. The only three features you do not get in the S are the AWD, Heated Washer Jets, and Retractable Headlight Washers. And you get the leather in the S.

So that confirms the question, where do you live and do you need All4 capability?

Last edited by nd3boy; 01-31-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Further research
Old 01-31-2014, 03:53 PM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I really don't care for countrymen, but if I had to buy a giant non MINI it would be the all4.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I really don't care for countrymen, but if I had to buy a giant non MINI it would be the all4.
Dopey comments not withstanding.....

It would be hard for me to turn down the All4-I am enamored with that system. All 4 wheels under power at all times was too much for me to turn down, and remember AWD is a multi-season advantage.....

throwing our R60 into corners with the rear end under power during warm weather inspires great confidence. The rear tracks very well at speed through the twisties with non of the "stepping out" that can easily be induced with simple FWD.

Then of course, there is winter driving. i like taking off from a light on ice/snow with absolutely no wheel spin of any kind. You just drop the clutch and go.

BMW really engineered a great, legitimate AWD system into the R60..

Old 01-31-2014, 05:01 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, really... What's the point of a countryman? A small SUV, but a little MINI stuff. For what your going to pay for the CM, there are much better mini utes.

The CM weighs more, with the small engine, (yes, even in S trim), add awd, and the additional drive train losses, and it's a dog.

But heck, if you really wanted a MINI, don't get a CM. You'll just get a quirky, slow mini ute...

Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
And the stupid comments continue (rolls eyes)...

Old 01-31-2014, 06:52 PM
TJANK
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dinski
Hello everyone, I'm new here and am on the verge of purchasing a new Countryman. I would love your help with helping me make an informed decision.

I am deciding between 2 similarly priced vehicle. A Countryman S that has more equipment: gravity leather, auto, city package, premier package, satellite radio, center arm rest, heated seats is the first vehicle.

The second is the ALL4, I can get for about $600 cheaper, but it has less equipment in that it contains: cold weather package, premier package, auto, just the leatherette interior, satellite radio, center arm rest and flat load floor.

I guess my question is, which one do you think is the better buy. We like both cars almost equally. Is the ALL 4 better, is the gravity leather really that much better. I have not been in the car with gravity leather so I don't know how much nicer it is.

I purchased the ALL4 since I was seeking a fun all wheel drive vehicle with decent power with room for my two dogs. A loaded CM was cheaper than a base BMW X1 or X3. As for other posts suggesting non-Minis SUVs--the horsepower is abysmal, i.e Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, Maxda CX5--are all sluggish on hill climbs. But if you want better responses you may want to re-post in the Countryman section.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:57 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Pick the one with the options you would most use. If it needs more power them get a JB+ from Burger Motorsports and you'll be close to stock JCW power.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
...I guess my question is, which one do you think is the better buy….
Here's another thought. How long to plan on keeping the car? For almost all cars luxury options tend to depreciate faster than the basic car model (CM-S and CM-ALL4 in your case). Go to Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds and play with trade in values. The depreciation on luxury options like heated seats, leather, premier package will almost always be larger, as a percentage, than functional motive options like auto transmission and AWD. My opinion is the ALL4 will hold its value better, as a percentage, at resell or trade time.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:22 AM
Subzero
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ASKtheteach
And the stupid comments continue (rolls eyes)...
With Richard, it's best to just ignore him. He's "that guy" that every forum has to contend with. He's not that knowledgeabe about MINIs, and tries to compensate by ruining most threads with negative rants. It's best to just chuckle, let him derp out for a sec, and then he will move onto nosediving someone elses thread.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Really? What part do you disagree with? The CM is a dog. A big heavy dog.

My wife bought a brand new Kia Sportage AWD turbo. 275Hp, and the thing rips. Leather, Nav, backup cam, heated and cooled seats, in fact every option, more room, even refridgerates a section of the glove box to keep drinks cold.

Out the door price was just under $30K.

I'm just saying, I love my MCS, but if I needed a larger vehicle, it wouldn't be a MINI...

And I'll challenge you about MINI knowledge anytime.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Richards not the only one that thinks that there are better alternatives for the money than the Countryman. Consumer reports and other testing magazines have not been too kind. Plus, the poor reliability has brought MINI as a brand to the very bottom of the list of manufacturers in a recent study posted on this forum.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
the point is, the OP did not ask anyone's opinion on whether the CM is a good buy or not. Did not ask for opinions comparing the CM to other SUV's.

They have decided to purchase a CM and they were asking for opinions on which model they should choose. I just don't see how snarky comments about the CM are helpful to them deciding which trim level to buy.

Plus, the OP is brand new to the site, and brazen opinions off the subject of the post don't go a long way in keeping new forum members coming back to NAM.

This is one of the reasons I hang out at Motoring Alliance 95% of my time.

I certainly have very strong opinions regarding the CM and why we preferred it over other vehicles in it's class, but I only express those opinions when that happens to be the subject of a post, and an OP is asking for that opinion.

Last edited by Z06_Pilot; 02-01-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Look, I don't know the guy, (yet), he asked which would be better. I told him neither.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, but I just want to understand why would someone would buy a CM? Just like I don't understand someone buying a Cayenne.

I mean, if you like it, feel free to buy it. But read the Car and Driver review.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rm-test-review

But, OP, If both have Xenon lights, and heated seats, it's a toss up with the advantage of ALL4 traction in bad weather.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Look, I don't know the guy, (yet), he asked which would be better. I told him neither.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, but I just want to understand why would someone would buy a CM? Just like I don't understand someone buying a Cayenne.

I mean, if you like it, feel free to buy it. But read the Car and Driver review.

But, OP, If both have Xenon lights, and heated seats, it's a toss up with the advantage of ALL4 traction in bad weather.
What's the point in shitting on the CM in every thread? We get it, not everyone likes them. I don't really like the R56 but I don't troll R56 threads and say "DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THAT FAT PIG WHY NOT BUY AN R53 INSTEAD DUMMY!"

No one cares. If someone is asking about which CM they should buy, they've probably decided they want to buy a CM.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
The point of buying a Countryman is that the person likes the Countryman and wants one. Period. Car magazine reviews don't matter one bit. It comes down to a person's preference. That's it. If you don't like the Countryman, fine. That's your choice, but don't sh*t on those of us who DO like and/or own them. I have looked at richardsperry's posts, and many of them are negative, inflammatory, or insulting to other members here. I cannot possibly imagine why a person would go to all of the trouble to join an enthusiast's forum only to sh*t on the enthusiasts there. Clearly a troll.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:33 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Wasn't the R60 new for 2011? Mini usually messes up the first year of every model (or refresh/LCI) then fixes it in the years after. So all the bugs from 2011 are hopefully not there in the 2013+ version.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:33 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
The point of buying a Countryman is that the person likes the Countryman and wants one. Period. Car magazine reviews don't matter one bit. It comes down to a person's preference. That's it. If you don't like the Countryman, fine. That's your choice, but don't sh*t on those of us who DO like and/or own them. I have looked at richardsperry's posts, and many of them are negative, inflammatory, or insulting to other members here. I cannot possibly imagine why a person would go to all of the trouble to join an enthusiast's forum only to sh*t on the enthusiasts there. Clearly a troll.
Then freaking ask in the r60 section vs the general forum.

Oh, bite me. I have NO IDEA WHO YOU ARE, BUT IVE HELPED A TON.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
What a f**kstick. Can't use logic or reason with a moron.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:48 PM
FourOhFour
1st Gear
even refridgerates a section of the glove box to keep drinks cold.
So does my mini. (assuming the a/c is on and you open the vent)

Old 02-01-2014, 07:51 PM
slumpp
2nd Gear
I owe a cm 2011 all4 . Automatic

Snow driving aside. I would buy a 6 speed, FWD car.
The all4 and the run flats is a hard ride.

If I ran Mini for a day the run flats would be history.
I am thinking of a WRX.
I am a little tired of being there test driver.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Way to welcome a new member Sorry Dinski, lots of passion about MINIs here, sometimes it gets in the way.

Thread locked until it can get sorted out to those who are able to express there opinions respectfully.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:03 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
+1...

Back to the topic, get the ALL4 if you live in terrible climate, otherwise go with the FWD CM. Both sound like great MINIs! I'm excited to see your decision soon:-).

Old 02-02-2014, 03:50 AM
07BPB
5th Gear
I have test driven an R60 S in both FWD and AWD format.

Personally, I felt that the FWD was a little bit quicker than the AWD. The AWD felt much more planted to the ground.

If it was me I would go with the AWD as it does help keep the car tracking nicely through corners.

Plus the AWD has a flat load floor... which is a must have.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:54 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Edit: I fed the troll. Doh. Don't feed the trolls.

Last edited by bratling; 02-02-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Countryman S vs. Countryman S All4