General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well here it is, The 2014 F56 pictures and details.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 AM
EHans
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Kardinal
Seriously?

BMW decides to launch the Countryman. People laugh and say, "Do we call it a Mega Countryman?" That's fine the hardtop is untouched. Then they launched the Paceman. Still as ugly as the Countryman but with less doors, whats the point? Still fine, hardtop is untouched.
Not everyone like the exact same things Tommy. I am glad you have no decision authority at BMW, Mini or any car company, or we'd likely all be driving the same thing. Were it not for change, we'd all be drooling over which shade of black to get on our next Ford Model T.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:30 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Braminator
fish pic
Lol nailed it!

Old 07-03-2013, 06:46 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hey, E... I don't think he's saying change is bad. he's just saying THIS change is bad. I have to agree with him whole heartedly. This change is not only bad, it's terrible.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 AM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
hey, E... I don't think he's saying change is bad. he's just saying THIS change is bad. I have to agree with him whole heartedly. This change is not only bad, it's terrible.
I think he said the R60/61 is ugly, and only the current hardtop is ok. Nothing worse for a community than for a snobbish clique to form. "Anything but what we like is bad, and IT IS KILLING THE BRAND."

Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
LethalR53
3rd Gear
Maybe just the angle/proportions of the picture, but I hate the way the hood looks so flat and how the grille is pushed out further from the lights. It really looks like a fishface. Also, look at the split between the front bumper and hood, it flows outward much more than the R53/R56 which accentuates the fish mouth grille.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
This song fits the F56 perfectly

Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EHans
I think he said the R60/61 is ugly, and only the current hardtop is ok. Nothing worse for a community than for a snobbish clique to form. "Anything but what we like is bad, and IT IS KILLING THE BRAND."
I was focused on the F56 review moreso than the Countryman and Paceman comments but yeah, I disagree on that point. I didn't like the Countryman when it first came out but now we own one. It's not exactly MINI-esque to me but it's functional and beats the other options for a small SUV by a longshot.

I didn't care much for the R56 when in it's first couple years and now... yep, have one on order and will love it, for sure.

Just can't see that F56 growing on me in it's current form. Ever.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 AM
PrincessKick
2nd Gear
Other than bashing the Countryman which I happen to drive and love I agree with that article and y'all. Tragic. I was looking forward to getting a hardtop once I outgrew the need for four doors and rear legroom. Not so much now...

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Whats that picture for? The wraps are off now.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
2014 F56 MINI Cooper Renderings and Spyshots

These in-house renderings shows now the of the all new 2014 MINI Cooper could look like. The renderings based on details seen on these newest revealing spyshots of the new MINI Coopers interior and exterior. Sharing Chassis with the new front wheel drive platform BMW, the new MINI dimensions looks slightly larger and should be available as a 2 door or 4 door hatch. Headlight design was inspired by the MINI Rocketman concept and could feature a single LED halo day time running light with integrated turn signals. Courtesy of Town+Country BMW MINI Markham Blog

Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
It still looks like a scare guppy even in your pics.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:12 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It no longer looks like the front wheels are pushed to the front corners. No more bulldog stance :(

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
BMW/MINI responds to recent F56 pictures.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2311

Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
BMW/MINI responds to recent F56 pictures.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2311
Really really hoping this is the case. The camouflaged MINIs in the earlier pictures seem to be more promising.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM
jenlikesrocks
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Whoa.... if that is indeed the final design, I dislike the front end styling with a passion. WTH is that bumper and those headlights make it look like it has evil eyes.
this is cracking me up!
don't make eye contact with your mini!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
tampadave
5th Gear
I posted the renderings because they probably depict a more accurate image of the 2014 F56 than the distorted Autoblog pictures. No big deal.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
peter314
5th Gear
Originally Posted by tampadave
I posted the renderings because they probably depict a more accurate image of the 2014 F56 than the distorted Autoblog pictures. No big deal.
Thanks for the renders
It still doesn't change the fact that its ugly as sin
Its got a great big shouty mouth of a grill; short of like getting a leaf blower pointed at you

Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by peter314
The front end grill surround is lifted right from the Rocketman concept; but this time around it has been modified to meet crash regulations.
On the Rocketman the center section of the grill was much smaller, overall the whole front end was a much cleaner and simpler looking. It lacked the protruding lower intake/brake ducts which, on the F56, look so out of place.

Design languages I was refering to would have been the LCI R56 lower intake/brake duct mixed with the Rocketman grill. It just doesn't work IMO and seemingly others too. There's too much going on on the front bumper, (let alone the whole front) everything's fighting for attention.

If you look at the spy shot of the hood up you can see nothing comes up past the gasket around the engine bay. Its just empty space between the engine and the hood which again was probably because of pedestrian crash regulations.
Instead of raising the whole hood up they probably figured out the minimum amount of surface area required to clear the minimum distance from the top of the engine to the highest point on the hood and decided to turn it into a design detail; ie Power bulge.
From what I've seen it looks like the hood is much flatter and higher from the ground than previous models.

Your right though, The R56 was a bit of a departure from the first gen cars but its design was at least cohesive with its proportions and people did grow to like it. This on the other hand is quite a radical leap forward which is rather jarring as we can tell from most of the responses around the internet.
Hmm. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I think Nathan summarized it best in his recent comment on MotoringFile. At the time of launch the R56 was not just a "bit of a departure" from the R53/R50. As someone whose owned the first gen R53, the reaction to the R57 launch was just as atrocious. Let's not twist things up to up the credit of your argument.

Well here it is, The 2014 F56 pictures and details.-nodyago.png

In terms of actual elements on the front bumper, I count there to be less on the F56 than there is on my GP.

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. This event has reminded me of the first iPhone leak via Gizmodo and how everyone bashed the redesign of the iPhone. And everyone came to love it and Apple laughed it's way to the bank.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to hold off further review until I sit in one and drive it. It may actually drive better then our cars... Who knows

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was wondering where I saw that face before.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Pure87
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
LOL Ouch!!!!! I'm really hoping that claim that these photos were taken at a bad angle with a an extreme telephoto lens are accurate because as it looks terrible. R53 owners --if you thought the R56 looked bad, what do you think of the F56?
The F56 isn't too bad, but looking at it makes me want to go outside and hug my R53. MINI has to do something with that front grill.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Mab01uk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This all reminds me of a well known quote in the story below.....often told by John Cooper about the early days of the classic Mini.

John Cooper – ‘the early years’
"During the sourcing of the Formula junior (A-Series) engine and John Cooper’s involvement with Alec Issigonis, the subject of the soon to be announced Mini often cropped up. John was extremely interested in the car, mainly due to its unconventional layout of transverse engine, front wheel drive and rubber suspension. He and his grand prix driver Roy Salvadori were loaned a pre-production Mini for the Italian Grand Prix in 1959, but John was unable to drive the Mini to the meeting, as he had to trailer a F1 car, so Roy Salvadori drove it instead. Both men were later amused to find that the Mini had beaten fellow Formula 1 star Reg Parnell on the journey from London and he had been driving an Aston Martin DB4GT. The car was then used as a run-around during the meeting and both men were very impressed. While at the circuit, Aurelio Lampredi, famous chief designer for Ferrari, spotted the Cooper Mini (although it had not been given a name as yet) and took it for a drive. He was gone for several hours and Cooper was convinced that Lampredi must have crashed, finally he returned breathless and excited, exclaiming that ‘if it were not for the fact that it is so ugly, I’d shoot myself if that isn’t the car of the future’. From this point onwards John Cooper knew that the Mini was the road car that he should use for the basis of his performance car.
The Mini Cooper

John Cooper had competed against Mini designer Alec Issigonis in hill-climbs 1946-47, and after the Mini's sensational launch loaned one at Monza to Fiat's ex-Ferrari chief designer Aurelio Lampredi - who returned it grinning from ear to ear: "This is the car of the future…", the great man declared, "If it wasn't so ugly, I'd shoot myself!". John would recall: "I put it to George Harriman, BMC's new boss, that he should market a tuned version.
John Cooper CBE

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks like a doctor just inserted something into the poor thing's exhaust pipe...

Quick Reply: Well here it is, The 2014 F56 pictures and details.