General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well here it is, The 2014 F56 pictures and details.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzer214
looks like a fiat now!

Sent from my ipad using namotoring
+1

Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Mab01uk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good testing at the Nurburgring:
http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/2014-m...e-nurburgring/

Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mab01uk
Looks good testing at the Nurburgring:
http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/2014-m...e-nurburgring/
How does it look good disguised?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I will say this... the pics of the MINI testing at the Nurburgring look a lot better then the others.. But I still have to see it in person.. Or at least see some decent pics.. The other pics on here make it look hideous!! I sure hope that isn't the end result!!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Braminator
Im thinking now they were better off leaving it disguised!

Old 07-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Minian
5th Gear
Looks Like Sales May Drop This Years. That is Fugly.
Nowhere close to the charm of the 1st Gen or Roadster.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
am i the only one who thinks they need to start making minis more 'squared' to look like the original mini?

i cant stand the need to curve and smooth out everything......some thins do actually look better a little boxy.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know about boxy or square looking. If I wanted that, I'd buy one of those Honda Elements or a Scion xB or the Nissan Cube.

The further they get from the first gen MINIs, the less appealing they are to me and seems like a lot of other members around here.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
^ yeah what you said.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Womanual
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, glad I got a 2013! I wanted a new car and if that had been MINI's hatch offering, someone else would have gotten my $. Maybe they did make some ghastly exterior changes but do you think they made some extreme interior ones as well such as moving the window controls so you can have a 16oz drink AND roll the windows up/down...that would be a selling point

Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Lets not forget the center speedo is history.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
tampadave
5th Gear
In another thread in General Mini Talk, someone indicated the 2014 Roadster and a few other models will remain unchanged from 2013. Is that official (I hope and pray)? The front end on the 2014 F56 - especially the front black bumper protrusion - is not very flattering IMO. My current plan is to order a 2014 Roadster S after the winter is over. We are moving to Florida next year so I don't want to subject the new Roadster to massive road salt in Northern Virginia.

Last edited by tampadave; 07-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
XSIV SUN
2nd Gear
Is it me, or doesn't this look just like the "Mr. Bill" playdough caricature that was always getting run over??? Exact same expression!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
While the camera lens is probably playing a bit with the photos, it doesn't look like it is too much. That is absolutely SCARY AS HELL. The car looks awful. WTF have they done to it?

Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I hate that big black bumper cover right in the center of things! I can see it now: Our favorite aftermarket supplier selling a decal mod of various designs of teeth to affix to that black space. Wish I could photoshop what I pict[/IMG]ure in my mind! Bram. someone, make a buck on cute! hahaha Cute. Real cute.

Last edited by MikewithaMini; 07-01-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I posted this over in another thread that got to talking about the F56, but it is more relevant here...

I'm not a huge fan of what I am seeing, but I'll almost guarantee it looks better in person than in these horrible photos. The angles on those photos are doing it no favors, not to mention what appears to be some pretty noticeable lens distortion (or maybe an optical illusion?) going on in a few of the photos.

That being said, as a former designer/design student, I do not envy any MINI designer that has had to evolve what Frank Stephenson did with the R50/R53. In my mind, there are few things that would be more difficult than evolving/redesigning a retro-inspired design like the MINI. Seriously, how many of the "retro cars" have had successful second generation designs? Most of them haven't stuck around past their first generation...PT Cruiser, HHR, Thunderbird, Prowler. Granted, most of those were terrible cars, but it'll be interesting to see what happens with the next generation (if there is one) of the Fiat 500, Camaro, Challenger...or any other retro-inspired designs I may be missing.

Of the retro designs that have gone at least 2 generations, the New Beetle was stagnant for almost 10-years before VW re-sculpted the fenders and seemed to call it the next New Beetle. Now they've tried to go all 356 with the latest New Beetle, and it just looks awkward. It's not a Porsche...just stop it VW...you're not fooling anyone.

The Mustang is probably the best example so far. The first generation retro-inspired 2005-2009 design, and the 2010-current redesign did an even better job IMO. Seriously, the current Mustang looks great. It'll be interesting to see the next generation Mustang...I'm curious if it will follow Ford's Aston Martin branding exercise, if it will continue to be retro-inspired, or if it will mix the two...successfully or unsuccessfully.

The MINI is now going on it's third redesign. While I still love the R50/R53 as the best of the MINI designs, the R56 was a pretty good re-interpretation of that original retro-inspired design. I'm holding off final judgement until I see an F56 in person...though like I said...the angle and photo distortion (and those Euro pedestrian impact regulations ) don't seem to be doing the front of this F56 any favors. We all said the same things about the R56, the R55, the R5-pick-a-number, the R60...

So just a little perspective before we all jump off a bridge, and proclaim the the MINI brand is being destroyed.

I'm sure the follow-up to this will be entertaining...so I'm gonna grab a fresh beer, and watch this thread tonight. Hopefully, it will keep my mind occupied while I impatiently await picking up my 2013 Clubman tomorrow evening...

Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Minimota
1st Gear
Judge in person.

I have to see it in person to gauge it's looks. Some elements I like for instance what they did with the stinger exhaust by integrating it more with the rear-end. On the bright side I may not have new model envy when it comes out and will cherish my 2008 S even more . The 2014 Mazda 3 looks interesting.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minimota
The 2014 Mazda 3 looks interesting.
So did the 2013, but it was so boring to drive and the inside would put you to sleep. Which, sadly, defines a lot of Japanese cars. Not all, but a lot. I suspect the 2014 is the same. I'd take a long hard look at it in a test drive before buying one. It has the cool boy racer skin, but underneath, it doesn't hold a candle to driving a Mini IMHO, at least the 2013 didn't.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 PM
CHMhead
1st Gear
Sooo glad I got my R56 this year. This new ...thing... Looks so un-MINI. Really hope it is slightly better IRL.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 PM
peter314
5th Gear
The front end is horribly busy, so many design languages going on and they are all clashing with each other. The fact that they added a "Power Bulge" to the hood is pretty pointless; I mean it was necessary on American muscle cars when they upgraded to larger carbs and intake but here its just a tacky feature. We all know that the scoop was useless on the R56 but it was part of the design lineage so it worked.

The worst is the gaping maw of a grill/bumper. WTF were you thinking?! Who would willingly design the car to look so frightened
And I don't know if you guys are seeing this too but the bottom grill section looks like it is actually protruding from the front bumper all around the perimeter of the awkward shape that it is, if that's the case that's a terrible design detail. Why would you want to take the smooth curves of the car and then extrude this weird lower grill/brake duct inlet?

This front end is so mismatched; its trying to retain the classic retro Mini design while mixing that with future concept car all while trying to be an evolutionary step forward in the brand which was a huge miss.
There is way too much design influence from the blundertwin Countryman - Paceman duo; I mean it looks like they lifted the giant tail lights straight from the countryman!

I really do not see this car being any better in person, I only see it being a confirmation of how bad it really is.

I've done a bit of a Photoshop to reflect the lower portion of the bumper something more akin to the R56 generation; removing the Rocketman chrome grill surround and visible bumper beam. Its a little rounder than what we have now and the smaller top grill is a nod back to the much loved R50 design but you get the idea.

Name:  mini-cooper-spy-shotsEDITED.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  86.3 KB

I think something like this would have been a much better step forward with the evolution of the design. Much smoother, much cleaner, much simpler; IMO it tones down how crazy the Halo DRLs look, without all of the busy design details on the front bumper they can make a leap forward on the headlights.
Not to mention but where will all of our giant FMIC's go now!?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:07 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
Are you reading any of this MINI?:

We have almost universal condemnation of the front end design so far on this thread. So, did MINI do any focus group testing of this design with current owners? It is impossible to imagine 53/56 owners saying "Oh, yes! I'd want this look much more than my current car!!"

Looking at the MINI SUV design horrors, I suspect we should have expected this kind ugliness from the obviously incompetent current MINI designers.

This looks even worse than the bland FRS; I may have to either fabricate a new hood and front clip myself or go with an FRS if I want a new car.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 AM
OhBe1
2nd Gear
Let's see the interior. Are there useful gauges? Are the secondary controls in comfortable reach?
Let's drive it. Is the steering no longer dead on-center?
And does nav cost a lot less than $2700?

Last edited by OhBe1; 07-02-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 AM
LethalR53
3rd Gear
I can't decide whether I hate it, or like it.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:34 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear

Glad I ordered the 2013 Countryman and S Coupe. Still waiting on the S Coupe.

I just love the inside of mine. Not impressed with them changing the round air vent and center Speedo. Switches especially the start button in Red to toggle. Yes, the exterior of the 2013 is cute but so is the interior.

I have read new options such as ability to park itself, rear camera and other options coming.

Pluses or minuses depending how you look at it.

Change is slow, not all models will change for 2014. And if sales dip I am sure other models maybe will not go this direction with the interior.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Mab01uk
5th Gear
It is not that difficult to see through that disguise and that the F56 looks ok photographed from normal angles with little distortion on the race track. However I know some people can not visualise things so well....like all new car designs they can take a while to get used to....but trust me this will be fine and will sell well, remember consumer focus groups nearly always produce dull boring car designs as people usually vote with what they already know and are comfortable with and then go out and buy something more radical.

Quick Reply: Well here it is, The 2014 F56 pictures and details.