General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well here it is, The 2014 F56 pictures and details.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:35 AM
GFB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did they beat it with the ugly stick?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Aside from the weird front grille, I think it looks decent. I wasn't a fan of the R56 or R60 when I first saw them, but they grew on me over time.

Looks like they moved the gas fill to the right side of the car for some reason.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 AM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by peter314
The front end is horribly busy, so many design languages going on and they are all clashing with each other. The fact that they added a "Power Bulge" to the hood is pretty pointless; I mean it was necessary on American muscle cars when they upgraded to larger carbs and intake but here its just a tacky feature. We all know that the scoop was useless on the R56 but it was part of the design lineage so it worked.

The worst is the gaping maw of a grill/bumper. WTF were you thinking?! Who would willingly design the car to look so frightened
And I don't know if you guys are seeing this too but the bottom grill section looks like it is actually protruding from the front bumper all around the perimeter of the awkward shape that it is, if that's the case that's a terrible design detail. Why would you want to take the smooth curves of the car and then extrude this weird lower grill/brake duct inlet?

This front end is so mismatched; its trying to retain the classic retro Mini design while mixing that with future concept car all while trying to be an evolutionary step forward in the brand which was a huge miss.
There is way too much design influence from the blundertwin Countryman - Paceman duo; I mean it looks like they lifted the giant tail lights straight from the countryman!

I really do not see this car being any better in person, I only see it being a confirmation of how bad it really is.

I've done a bit of a Photoshop to reflect the lower portion of the bumper something more akin to the R56 generation; removing the Rocketman chrome grill surround and visible bumper beam. Its a little rounder than what we have now and the smaller top grill is a nod back to the much loved R50 design but you get the idea.

I think something like this would have been a much better step forward with the evolution of the design. Much smoother, much cleaner, much simpler; IMO it tones down how crazy the Halo DRLs look, without all of the busy design details on the front bumper they can make a leap forward on the headlights.
Not to mention but where will all of our giant FMIC's go now!?
To play devil's advocate:

Design languages? Can you elaborate? This 'power bulge' cannot be deemed useless until you see the actual engine in person no?

The top side side angle view of the F56 combined with the lens distortion may not be the most flattering angle. But I have to disagree with everyone on this thread in saying it looks 'scared' or surprised. If you look at this car from a proper angle (the one you look at 90% of the time), the face doesn't depict scared or surprised. As seen in the spy shots here: http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/2014-m...ni-cooper-s-8/

Granted it's camouflaged, but it's not hard to fill in the colors yourself.

Every classic car brand is striving to retain the classic retro design while mixing that with future concept car all while trying to be an evolutionary step forward INCLUDING following modern day guidelines/laws of pedestrian impact safety. This is a complex equation and not everyone will get it right. I'm looking at you 2012 Honda Civic. But with your 'photoshop' rendition, MINI is taking NO steps forward. If people wanted a classic, buy a classic. R50? Buy a R50. The R56 was bashed upon when it first came out but people grew to love it.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd say that's a pretty big relief from what I was afraid it would look like, based on earlier shots. Looks like there will be BIG aero improvements (less wind noise, quieter cabin, better fuel economy). Overhang looks decent.

I want to see the Clubman version. ;-)

Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Wookie
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrCooperS

Design languages? Can you elaborate? This 'power bulge' cannot be deemed useless until you see the actual engine in person no?

The top side side angle view of the F56 combined with the lens distortion may not be the most flattering angle. But I have to disagree with everyone on this thread in saying it looks 'scared' or surprised. If you look at this car from a proper angle (the one you look at 90% of the time), the face doesn't depict scared or surprised. As seen in the spy shots here: http://www.gmotors.co.uk/news/2014-m...ni-cooper-s-8/

Every classic car brand is striving to retain the classic retro design while mixing that with future concept car all while trying to be an evolutionary step forward INCLUDING following modern day guidelines/laws of pedestrian impact safety. This is a complex equation and not everyone will get it right. I'm looking at you 2012 Honda Civic. But with your 'photoshop' rendition, MINI is taking NO steps forward. If people wanted a classic, buy a classic. R50? Buy a R50. The R56 was bashed upon when it first came out but people grew to love it.
I see what you're saying about the camo-car, but they did a great job locating the camo print over the key elements:
1) Angel Eyes - makes lights look smaller
2) black bumper - makes it uniform with the body
3) oversized & non-uniformed shape of the lower grill - makes it flow with the upper grill better

Those elements aid in the scared guppy look, more than just the camera angle.

That aside, the head-on shot at the track really makes the front of the car seem very tall. Although close in length/width to the R53, this just seems to be much in all other aspects; hood height, belt line, fender height - and all that makes the MINI seem Massive.

Boo to you EU and your car design hating regulations

Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
EHans
5th Gear

{golfclap}

Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM
peter314
5th Gear

The front end grill surround is lifted right from the Rocketman concept; but this time around it has been modified to meet crash regulations.
On the Rocketman the center section of the grill was much smaller, overall the whole front end was a much cleaner and simpler looking. It lacked the protruding lower intake/brake ducts which, on the F56, look so out of place.

Design languages I was refering to would have been the LCI R56 lower intake/brake duct mixed with the Rocketman grill. It just doesn't work IMO and seemingly others too. There's too much going on on the front bumper, (let alone the whole front) everything's fighting for attention.

If you look at the spy shot of the hood up you can see nothing comes up past the gasket around the engine bay. Its just empty space between the engine and the hood which again was probably because of pedestrian crash regulations.
Instead of raising the whole hood up they probably figured out the minimum amount of surface area required to clear the minimum distance from the top of the engine to the highest point on the hood and decided to turn it into a design detail; ie Power bulge.
From what I've seen it looks like the hood is much flatter and higher from the ground than previous models.

Your right though, The R56 was a bit of a departure from the first gen cars but its design was at least cohesive with its proportions and people did grow to like it. This on the other hand is quite a radical leap forward which is rather jarring as we can tell from most of the responses around the internet.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 AM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the rear is the most un-charismatic side of the R56 as it looks too flat. They were successful on solving this with the F56, using those "oversized" lights.

The front I don't really find that different to the R56, other than the integration of the number plate within the grill. Perhaps it will look better with the actual plates on, as it will conceal much of the matt black part.

Overall less of a change over the R56, than the R56 over the R50.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 AM
ODannyBoy
1st Gear
I don't mind the camo treated front end near as much and I think the key is the large grey pedestrian bar being more integrated into the design. In the un-camo spy shots its just kind of out there unattached as an eye sore.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
No!

I don't like it. The lights and the bumper kill me. Glad I have my 2012. This Frankenstien (Hence the F) 56 will either help the sale value of my MINI or trash all MINI's as sales drop. I guess I will see.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
As I mentioned in the other thread that linked to the Automobile mag article, I think a lot of the problems with what we see are actually distortions caused by the lens used to take the pics. The perspective in most of these shots just doesn't "read" correctly! I'm betting that the real car will look a whole lot better than these pics make it out to be.

I'm not sure I'll like it, but it won't look this ungainly.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:46 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure how any camera lens could distort those headlights or that bumper/grill combination, appears they are what they are, but okay... guess we'll see.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
MCLove
1st Gear
Guaranteed this will happen to the best of us, guys...

http://changingminds.org/explanation...e_exposure.htm

Old 07-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Bram, I'm beginning to think you really don't care much for the F56.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Bram, I'm beginning to think you really don't care much for the F56.

I really do like it

Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Old 07-02-2013, 01:16 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MCLove
Guaranteed this will happen to the best of us, guys...

http://changingminds.org/explanation...e_exposure.htm
+1. It's like that song on the radio you hate but gradually grows on you. That being said I don't think it's a good sign that many people on here didn't like it at first glance. Look at the '09 TL, that car didn't end up being well-liked by Acura owners even all these years later. On the bright side at least my '11 doesn't look at all outdated.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the LED DRLs will be optional. That alone would solve a lot for me. If I hold a finger over each headlight I find it far more appealing. I noticed the camo shots had actually covered over the LED DRLs to hide them.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
miniinhd
2nd Gear
Minis for 2014

Hello MINI GANG pics are interesting but I've read that a diesel 60mpg is one of the new concepts for 2014 what say you thanks for info & pics MINIINHD

Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe after the owner gives it a big smooch, it turns into a real MINI.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM
san diego motoring
2nd Gear
I hope they offer a camouflaged option....to hide the guppy look.

I can't wait to see what the interior looks like.

I still probably will buy one just for the fun of the ride. Maybe have to tint the tail lights to make them smaller. Do something with the front grill.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
http://tommyk154.kinja.com/2014-mini...rev=1372837373

Last edited by Tommy Kardinal; 07-03-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tommy Kardinal
That article had a much better shot of the interior, and I don't like anything about it. 1) BMW steering wheel 2) center speedo, gone 3) round air vents, gone 4) key fob slot next to start button, gone

I'm so glad I got the 2013 JCW HT

Last edited by SuperGreg; 07-03-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:05 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
What he said. ^ Every word of it.

Quick Reply: Well here it is, The 2014 F56 pictures and details.