General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topside Oil Extractor - Hitting something in the dipstick tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:32 PM
adr3naline fix
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Topside Oil Extractor - Hitting something in the dipstick tube?

Hey guys,

Im using a topside oil extractor to change my oil. I've hit a snag - when feeding the hose down through the dipstick tube, it stops and pushes back, seems to be a spring at the end of the dipstick tube.

I know it's not going into the pan because the tube comes back spotless. There is something stoping the tube from getting into the oil pan, how do I get past this?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM
adr3naline fix
2nd Gear
Nevermind - I'm good. Just a bit of shoving.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Which Extractor are you using? I've been looking around at them lately.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:24 AM
motor12
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay away from the top side oil change. In my opinion you are taking a chance of getting the tube stuck, as a member did on this forum. Also with out pulling the pan plug you are leaving crap at the bottom of the pan. In my opinion you are not doing your MINI any favors..

Old 12-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Aether
1st Gear
Originally Posted by motor12
Stay away from the top side oil change. In my opinion you are taking a chance of getting the tube stuck, as a member did on this forum.
If that's the thread from the last few weeks, you're referring to a member who never responded to the question of what make/model of extractor. It's important to have specifics about which ones actually have problems vs others where folks have noted trouble-free usage.

Also with out pulling the pan plug you are leaving crap at the bottom of the pan. In my opinion you are not doing your MINI any favors..
This argument is been made ad nauseum anytime someone mentions this topic, yet many also say they've been doing this for years with no ill effects, also ad nauseum.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 PM
motor12
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Aether
If that's the thread from the last few weeks, you're referring to a member who never responded to the question of what make/model of extractor. It's important to have specifics about which ones actually have problems vs others where folks have noted trouble-free usage.

This argument is been made ad nauseum anytime someone mentions this topic, yet many also say they've been doing this for years with no ill effects, also ad nauseum.
How does one know there were no ill effects, i would rather be safe than sorry. I consider sucking oil from the top of the motor a short cut not the recommended procedure. Myself i will continue to drain oil from the pan..

Old 12-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Aether
1st Gear
Originally Posted by motor12
How does one know there were no ill effects, i would rather be safe than sorry. I consider sucking oil from the top of the motor a short cut not the recommended procedure. Myself i will continue to drain oil from the pan..
Noted. Again.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:34 PM
MisterClean
3rd Gear
I'll just ignore the comments about "what about the cr*p on in the bottom of the pan" or "that's just taking a shortcut" bla bla blaahh

I've used a 10 dollar and a 100 dollar fluid extractor with success. However the 10 dollar extractor didn't make it for a second round...it wouldn't build pressure after oil got in it. Anyhow the Mityvac is what I use on occasion now and it's great.

The key is to NOT get in a rush and to be gentle with pushing the hose into the dipstick tube. Also make sure the car is warmed up...not steaming hot but warm. That way as the tube gets lubed up by the oil it's also becoming more flexible because of the heat. Another tip is to not push the tube down into the engine in the first try...keep pushing and pulling the tube in/out then find the sweet spot where it starts extracting the oil. With a product like the Mityvac it is VERY easy to see if you got as much oil as possible with the see thru container. The tubing with the Mityvac is not cheap by any means so I cannot see anyone breaking it off in the engine. My guess is the person that had the tube break bought a 10 dollar extractor at the local parts store...those have thin walled tubing with them.

Whether you drain the oil from the bottom or extract it from the top either way is good for changing the oil. Some people don't have the proper setup for draining the oil from the bottom in which case extracting it from the top is good for them.

PS With the Mityvac (I'm not a salesman for them ) you can get an additional attachment for 40 dollars to bleed the brakes. With all the possibilities with this device it can easily be paid off with a couple uses.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM
adr3naline fix
2nd Gear
Magnetic Drain plug + Changing the oil from the bottom every 3rd time = success.

The tube is very thick, and allows for less oil to be extracted at a slower rate, but I rather be slow than sorry.