General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick of non wavers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:01 PM
h20polo93
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick of non wavers

I hate when im driving through town and see another mini and smile and wave or give a peace sign or anything and they don't even notice and i end up looking like a dumba**. A teacher at my school has a mini and everytime i drive to school i end up right in front of her and we always cruise to school together. I dont know maybe im just shootin in the dark but stuff like that makes my day.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Berkdad
2nd Gear
is the wave thing real? i just got my MCS a couple weeks ago, and thought that it was just a marketing ploy.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 PM
ChEEzE[iT]
1st Gear
i do it all the time. some people just look, some ignore it, but when they wave back it really brightens the day

Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by h20polo93
I hate when im driving through town and see another mini and smile and wave or give a peace sign or anything and they don't even notice and i end up looking like a dumba**. A teacher at my school has a mini and everytime i drive to school i end up right in front of her and we always cruise to school together. I dont know maybe im just shootin in the dark but stuff like that makes my day.
Well, you can hunt them down and kill them, or drive up to Santa Cruz, and I'll wave at you. In the end, you'll do less time with the latter.
I don't wave all the time, but I always smile when I get a wave.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 PM
SPD360
1st Gear
i got a peace sign from another mini owner the other day. i just had to throw it up too! i also parked right next to another mini at the restaurant and didnt realize the owner was still inside. we both came out at the same time and yelled out "AAAAYYYYYEEEEE! nice car" which i found to be hilarious.

but yeah most of the time, no waves or other acknowledgments. damn you dull & boring mini owners out there!!!! jk.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 AM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey, I'm guiltly of waving even if I'm in the family car........oops, wrong car !

Don't worry, no one ever waves back anyway, but I'm trying to get them too !

Keep trying ! At least you are doing your part ! ! !

Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 AM
BensMini
6th Gear
Well I still wave or blink my lights but the %age of returns is only 30. I think it would be higher if there was more time to react.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:18 AM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i still wave...

Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 AM
Dirt
2nd Gear
I get responses all the time. Seems to me only about 20% don't wave back...

Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Kalijay
Neutral
Just got my Mini yesterday ('06 S Convertible Chili Red) and the first Mini I see this morning coming the other way waved! Of course I waved back and had a smile on my face all the way to work!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:14 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had a Mini for seven years. I try to always wave but the wave return rate has greatly reduced over the years. It seems that many people that now purchase Minis do it for the fuel ecomomy and not so much for the fun car. Sure had a lot of waving and light blinking during MTTS/MITM 2010.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:16 AM
h20polo93
2nd Gear
i agree with all of you. when i first got mine it seemed like everyone was waving. and not to be racist or anything, its always the asian ladies who dont wave at me. i just love my mini :]

Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm a selective waver. Recently, no joke, I waved to a R56 (I was in a R53), and they gave me the finger!! I actually think it was pretty funny: such a wierd reaction to the wave.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 AM
trwxxa
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You are far more likely to get a wave from the drivers of the more "you-ified" MINIs. Based on my unscientific research, the drivers of MINIs with stripes (the MINIs have the stripes, not the drivers ) wave more frequently than the drivers of MINIs without strips -- by about 5 to 1.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always try to wave if I can but sometimes I see the car so late its impossible to wave or unsafe to wave.. I have been known though to speed up to catch someone to wave at. I tend to get about a 50% return on my waves in the DFW area. I am in a customized mini but I havent noticed any more waves from anyone in particular although the ladies do seem to wave back more often for me. :P

Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Jerry Fikar
2nd Gear
I agree with TRWXXA. I have learned to read whether or not the other car is an enthusiast by the looks of his car. If it has little goodies, stripes, lights, tow hook ect. they usally wave back. If it's some lady picking her husband from the train forget it. In fact I haven't had one female wave back. I might be big and ugly but not my 2009 JCW hard top.
Jerry

Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I give and get lots of waves, and my car is Stripe less. Saturday on my way back from a local car show I stopped at HomeDepot I parked right next to a white Clubman with paw prints on it. When i came out there was a duck on the roof of my car. I looked up the plate and sent a thank you email, That person had taken a picture of our cars in the lot and then sent to me. Yesterday while on main street, I had a lady pull up next to me in a White R53, black roof and hood stripes, she smiled, waves and then started to chat with me. So for me the experiences has been pretty good, lots of smiles and waves.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
makzu
1st Gear
The last guy in a MINI I waved to just gave me a weird look. I've only seen one woman in a MINI around here since I got mine, but she did wave back.

I still honk briefly and wave at every MINI I come across though.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Kodan
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont honk that has the potential to distract other drivers( frankly around here some drivers have enough of those).

Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had my MINI for a few weeks now and given maybe 8-10 waves, none in return. Most of the time the other MINI is a person who is wellll into retirement age and hasn't a clue where they are going anyways. I have been in my MINI dealership about 6 times for various stuff int he past month and have been the youngest in there by 25+ years. I am 24 and they look at me weird. I won't give up just yet, but maybe selectively wave to the more modified MINI as they might be more of an ethusiast instead of a commuter who is a zombie in traffic.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 PM
kemo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to be the "Archie Bunker" in the bunch . I don't usually wave and probably never will. Now don't get me wrong, I like Mini's, we go to some rallies, etc, but I'm not taking my eyes off the road everytime a Mini passes (average is probably about 3 times a day, but I have a Mini dealer not far from me), just to see if they waved. However, a lot of that comes from riding motorcycles most of my life. What do a lot of bikers do? Wave. Should they? NO! Because half of them can't ride worth crap and shouldn't be on a bike in the first place. So for them to take their hand off the handlebar, is foolish and dangerous. People die on motorcycles, just because they look over at the bike(s) coming towards them, take their hand off the bars and wave.

A Mini is much safer of course, I realize that, but the same principle applies; I'm driving through a busy street in a sub-division and a Mini passes me, I wave and of course "I have to look over to see if they waved back", while in the meantime a kid runs out on the road to get his soccer ball or a car backs out of their driveway without looking............no thanks. I'll notice your Mini out of the corner of my eye, the same as I would any other car coming in my direction, then I'll smile, nod my head and keep looking straight ahead of me, but I have no interest in looking over to see if you waved at me or not

Last edited by kemo; 09-18-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
onetigerlsu
6th Gear
WAVE YALL !
A GOOD SOUTHERNER WILL ALWAYS WAVE
STRIPES OR NO STRIPES !
EL TIGER

Old 09-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
AMEN brother . . .

heck ... they probably would have needed to put down the cell phone and the cig' to wave

But people don't die on motorcycles .... they usually die after falling OFF motorcycles

sorry to pik nits

Originally Posted by kemo
I'm going to be the "Archie Bunker" in the bunch . I don't usually wave and probably never will. Now don't get me wrong, I like Mini's, we go to some rallies, etc, but I'm not taking my eyes off the road everytime a Mini passes (average is probably about 3 times a day, but I have a Mini dealer not far from me), just to see if they waved. However, a lot of that comes from riding motorcycles most of my life. What do a lot of bikers do? Wave. Should they? NO! Because half of them can't ride worth crap and shouldn't be on a bike in the first place. So for them to take their hand off the handlebar, is foolish and dangerous. People die on motorcycles, just because they look over at the bike(s) coming towards them, take their hand off the bars and wave.

A Mini is much safer of course, I realize that, but the same principle applies; I'm driving through a busy street in a sub-division and a Mini passes me, I wave and of course "I have to look over to see if they waved back", while in the meantime a kid runs out on the road to get his soccer ball or a car backs out of their driveway without looking............no thanks. I'll notice your Mini out if the corner of my eye, the same as I would any other car coming in my direction, then I'll smile, nod my head and keep looking straight ahead of me, but I have no interest in looking over to see if you waved at me or not

Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM
kemo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
AMEN brother . . .

heck ... they probably would have needed to put down the cell phone and the cig' to wave

But people don't die on motorcycles .... they usually die after falling OFF motorcycles

sorry to pik nits
True my friend.......very true

Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 PM
mininoir
2nd Gear
There aren't very many wavers around here. I've gotten 3 waves in the 6 mos. I've owned my MINI.

Quick Reply: Sick of non wavers