General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

The people who have DSC...and track/autoX

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:05 PM
racingdynamcs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The people who have DSC...and track/autoX

Has anyone had a problem with DSC while tracking or in auto X?

Old 11-05-2005, 04:19 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
not if you turn it off. If left on, it will definitely slow you down.

Old 11-05-2005, 04:32 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I left the DSC on for one run on accident and it really hurt my time. Now I always double check for the light as I Line up. I thought about getting Ian's auto up with the Track mode so it will stay off until I turn it back on. That would be nice!

There is a husband and wife racing a MINI at my local Auto X and they had never run with it off. I told them to try it and both their times dropped almost 1.5 seconds on a minute 45 sec. course.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:16 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On a tight autocross course, you'll be siginificantly faster with the DSC off. but leaving it on doesn't cause the car to blow up or anything.

On a faster track, the effect of leaving the DSC on lessens. I've done laps at New Hampshire International Speedway's road course with the DSC on and with it off. There's only one point on the track where I'd always trip the DSC if it was on - there's one turn where there's a bump on the exit. On all the other turns, if I drive smoothly, the DSC doesn't do anything to slow me down.

Of course now, some smart-*** will say that's just a sign that I need to drive faster.

You can get a surprising amount of slide (sideways) out of the car with the DSC on. If you don't have situations where you are getting wheelspin because of too much throttle, the DSC will not slow you down much - at least if your driving ability is similar to mine.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:29 PM
gregsminis
2nd Gear
I have done two track days and had the DSC on for both. I tried a couple laps with it off and it scared me. After saving my butt on a couple occasions I have made the decision to always leave it on. I never felt the DSC kick on when I didn't feel it was necessary. It may slow you down a tiny bit on a bigger track, but going off the track will slow you down even more. Driving smoothly is key, although, it is nearly impossible to ALWAYS be smooth. I think it's personal preference for a big track; I've never done autox but imagine that you'll find nearly everyone running sans DSC. In a way it's a good training tool, if you drive in a way that you shouldn't be, it will penalize you. Again, this doesn't apply to autox, I think most MINIs don't have enough power to cause the DSC to give us 'problems'. Try both, see which you like more.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto-X: definitely turn it off or it will totally mess you up

On a faster track or somewhere like the Dragon, it very rarely kicks in if you are driving smooth. I usually turn it off in such situations, but when I don't I only notice it kicking in when I already KNOW I have just overdriven into a turn. In many of these cases when it does come on, I have a hunch that it might actually end up giving me more traction sooner than if I had not had the DSC there. . .

Take a ride with me at the Dragon and watch my DSC light.. . if you are lucky you might see it come on once or twice in any given run and you'll probably also notice that it only does it on turns when I make a little mistake. . .

Old 11-05-2005, 06:05 PM
racingdynamcs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Auto-X: definitely turn it off or it will totally mess you up

On a faster track or somewhere like the Dragon, it very rarely kicks in if you are driving smooth. I usually turn it off in such situations, but when I don't I only notice it kicking in when I already KNOW I have just overdriven into a turn. In many of these cases when it does come on, I have a hunch that it might actually end up giving me more traction sooner than if I had not had the DSC there. . .

Take a ride with me at the Dragon and watch my DSC light.. . if you are lucky you might see it come on once or twice in any given run and you'll probably also notice that it only does it on turns when I make a little mistake. . .

Is the Dragon a track? I've never heard of it?

Old 11-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Tom D
2nd Gear
I only run autocross with DSC on if it's pouring rain with standing water on the course. I'm always faster without DSC in dry conditions.

Track days are a different story. If I'm running an unfamiliar track I do it for several sessions with DSC on (and it often saves my a**). When I feel comfortable on the new track I turn the system off but I am always more careful on the areas of the track where the DSC previously saved me. The answer for me seems to be that I am always faster with the system off after I learn the track. I use the DSC as a learning tool at track days. I would never run a track day on a wet course, too much risk to me and my MINI.

Old 11-05-2005, 06:13 PM
Yucca Patrol
Originally Posted by racingdynamcs
Is the Dragon a track? I've never heard of it?
"The Dragon" is US-129 straddling the North Carolina/Tennessee border. 318 curves in 11 miles. One amazing piece of public highway!

www.tailofthedragon.com

Old 11-05-2005, 06:39 PM
racingdynamcs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
"The Dragon" is US-129 straddling the North Carolina/Tennessee border. 318 curves in 11 miles. One amazing piece of public highway!

www.tailofthedragon.com

I cannot believe I' have never heard of it before!!! I have to go!

Old 11-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Yucca Patrol
Originally Posted by racingdynamcs
I cannot believe I' have never heard of it before!!! I have to go!
Has to be the best 11 miles of public highway in the country. I know this can be argued, but the fact that there are no intersections/driveways etc the whole way and a nearly flawless road surface take this place over the top.

We have a huge MINI gathering there every first full weekend in May. Most local accommodations are already full, but I'd suggest calling Fontana Village and getting on a wait list or something!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find that the DSC is not at all intrusive on track when there are 2 people in the car. When I'm alone, I definitely turn it off, unless the track is wet.

When I first started track days, I always left it on. Eventually I found it to be intrusive and slowing me down.