General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

Harness Bars Available

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:51 PM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harness Bars Available

Due to our proximity to the Beaverun Motorsports Complex we are beginning to stock a limited supply of track items. We have one full roll bar for a non-sunroof MINI and 5 Hardbar Harness Bars, we also plan to stock TeamTech race harnesses. PM me for more information!

Graham
MA at MINI of Pittsburgh

Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
what does the Hardbar Harness bar look like and where does it attach?

Old 04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIcentric
Due to our proximity to the Beaverun Motorsports Complex we are beginning to stock a limited supply of track items. We have one full roll bar for a non-sunroof MINI and 5 Hardbar Harness Bars, we also plan to stock TeamTech race harnesses. PM me for more information!

Graham
MA at MINI of Pittsburgh

What company made the roll bar? Can i come to you guys to have a roll bar installed? i'm in eastern ohio.

Since you guys are so close to beaverun and are track-oriented, do you plan on coming to the big mini challenge?

Old 04-12-2005, 06:51 PM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Motoring
what does the Hardbar Harness bar look like and where does it attach?
You can see the Hardbar Harness Bar on my website at www.chandler-motorsports.com. Both the prototype in my car and the production version in black powdercoat. It attaches to the B pillars.

Graham

Old 04-12-2005, 06:53 PM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
What company made the roll bar? Can i come to you guys to have a roll bar installed? i'm in eastern ohio.

Since you guys are so close to beaverun and are track-oriented, do you plan on coming to the big mini challenge?
We can install the roll bar. I'll double check the manufacturer of the one we have. I want to come to the MINI challenge if my schedule works out.

Graham

Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
darn, not stock class autocross legal...

Old 04-13-2005, 12:19 AM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
darn, not stock class autocross legal...
I don't now if this makes a difference, but the harness bar does not remove the utility of the stock seat belt. It's still there when you need it for the street.

Graham

Old 04-13-2005, 06:33 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
You can't cut the trim panel to allow for installation.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 AM
ghoffman
Neutral
That is might be true for H/S but there alot of people doing other classes and DE days that don't care about $25 plactis B pillar covers.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 AM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
Well I don't know the exact rules for H-Stock because I prefer HPDE and that's what this product is really intended for as well as various modified autocross classes and MINI racing. The bar acts as a "B" pillar stiffener and increases the load bearing capability beyond the DOT specs. that the MINI "B" pillar was required to pass. The "B" pillar is one of the strongest places on the car and the Hardbar Harness Bar neatly integrates with that component.

Here's a picture:

The production units we have in stock are powder-coated in Tuxedo Black, this is the prototype installed in my car.

Cutting the trim panel seems minor but rules are rules. BTW can you remove the back seat in H-stock?

Graham
MA at MINI of Pittsburgh

Last edited by MINIcentric; 04-13-2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
No you can't remove the back seats.

The harness bar looks great, there is just no way to attach it to the b pillar that would be Stock class legal.

One could be designed to attach to the C pillar that would be legal, but it would not have the strength of this one.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:59 AM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
No you can't remove the back seats.

The harness bar looks great, there is just no way to attach it to the b pillar that would be Stock class legal.

One could be designed to attach to the C pillar that would be legal, but it would not have the strength of this one.
Thanks Keith! Now I'm learning about H-Stock, I guess that's the same as showroom stock.

Graham

Old 04-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Motoring
5th Gear
Similar, but not quite the same. I think showroom stock still requires a Roll cage. Stock class in Autocross can make some changes, like shocks and front swaybars, that aren't allowed in Showroom stock

Old 04-13-2005, 06:01 PM
A&B-MCS
1st Gear
???

Directly from the SCCA 2005 Rules.

13.2.H

Driver restraints as outlined in Section 3.3.1 are allowed. Seats
may not be cut to allow for the installation of alternate seat belts or
harnesses. Passive restraint systems may not be removed. A
horizontal “harness bar” may be used as part of the installation
hardware for allowed driver restraints. It may serve no other
purpose (e.g., structural enhancement).

SCCA also recommends roll cages which require cutting of the trim to install so I wouldn't see this being a violation due to that as it is a safety device and the removed weight is more than made up for by the bar.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Motoring
5th Gear
The hardbar is not a roll cage, and harness bars are specifically not allowed to enhance the structure. Structural enhancement is mentioned in the description of the hardbar. I don't see how it could be legal.

But it is also unlikely anyone would protest you for it at the local level, but if protested I think you would lose.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:29 AM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RallyMINI

I checked the roll bar and it's an Autopower Race Roll bar and meets SCCA standards. We install roll bars here at the dealership in Pittsburgh.

Graham
MA at MINI of Pittsburgh

Old 04-14-2005, 09:39 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIcentric
Well I don't know the exact rules for H-Stock because I prefer HPDE and that's what this product is really intended for as well as various modified autocross classes and MINI racing. The bar acts as a "B" pillar stiffener and increases the load bearing capability beyond the DOT specs. that the MINI "B" pillar was required to pass. The "B" pillar is one of the strongest places on the car and the Hardbar Harness Bar neatly integrates with that component.

Here's a picture:

The production units we have in stock are powder-coated in Tuxedo Black, this is the prototype installed in my car.

Cutting the trim panel seems minor but rules are rules. BTW can you remove the back seat in H-stock?

Graham
MA at MINI of Pittsburgh
Why do the brackets for that bar look like they were designed to withstand tension (the bar being pulled rearward in an accident, like being hit from behind) rather than compression (the bar being pulled forward in an accident, like a frontal crash). It looks like the brackets would be quite strong in the former case, but would buckle in the latter situation.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Graham,

We meet at BeaveRun, at the dinner Banquet thingy and spoke

Did you contact Norm Budka ???

Phil..RED FURY

Old 04-15-2005, 10:59 AM
ghoffman
Neutral
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Why do the brackets for that bar look like they were designed to withstand tension (the bar being pulled rearward in an accident, like being hit from behind) rather than compression (the bar being pulled forward in an accident, like a frontal crash). It looks like the brackets would be quite strong in the former case, but would buckle in the latter situation.
It was designed and analyzed (NASTRAN) for not only compression buckling but out of plane bending due to beam bending under load. The design load is 6000 lbs and it has large safety margins based on yield (i.e. elastic limit).

Old 04-15-2005, 11:08 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, thanks for the detailed reply.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:59 PM
ghoffman
Neutral
Thank you for the great question! It is very customary in Aerospace Engineering to ask questions that challenge the designer to define his/her design tradeoffs, assumptions, and challenges.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
blackshark
Neutral
Solo 2 Harness Bar rules....

At the Solo 2 National event in Ft. Myeres FL early last year, the Hardbar harness bar design was reviewed by the local Tech Inspector and, in his opinion, was acceptable for all stock classes. It may be a regional issue....

On page 226 of the 2005 SCCA National Solo rules book states "A harness bar which attaches only between the upper seat belt mounts on the b-pillar complies with 13.2.H".

FWIW, this is referencing Covettes running in Stock classes.....but you could make the argument.....

Denny

Dennis T. Bauer
Director of Business Operations
Hardbar.net, LLC

mailto:dbauer@hardbar.net

ofc: (978) 726-1554
fax: (978) 256-3703

Old 04-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Mark Hirt
1st Gear
A Tech Inspector and his opinion will not hold up in the protest shed.

As stated above cutting trim pieces to install a "legal" modification makes it not legal. Last year or the year before a CS Miata or Spyder got bounced for cutting trim panels to install a legal roll bar.

If you want to know for sure submit pictures to the SEB.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:31 PM
MINIcentric
Former Vendor
I think there is a need for the Hardbar Harness Bar among people who track their cars in HPDE. I have one in my car with a TeamTech harness and it's a great piece of equipment for that type of event. I understand some of the concerns for stock class events though.

At my last HPDE I invited my instructor to do a few laps and I sat in the passenger seat with the stock seat belt. There is a huge difference when the G forces build up. I was definitely having to brace in the turns which is tiring.
So if you do HPDE then you might want to consider a Hardbar. I have a limited number for sale at the introductory price of $499.00. If you want to see pictures, they are on my website at www.chandler-motorsports.com.