Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

'13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:34 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Def upload a pic as soon as possible

Tomorrow is delivery, they called today to confirm I could get there
Perfect timing as we leave on vacation Sunday early am
Road trip yeah!
Branson and on to Nashville

Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM
koopy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my '13 JCW on Friday and it did have paddle shifters. I will see about finding the build date and # and report back in case its a help to anyone w/'13 model trying to get some facts.

Edit: Mini could not give me a production # but my build date was Feb '13

Last edited by koopy; 08-05-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
nconnella
1st Gear
Glad to see others are getting their cars how they should be. I'm happy to report that today my problem has come to an end. My car has been returned to me as it should have been to begin with. This was a long hard road involving a horrible experience with a MiniUSA supervisor who refused to listen or look at the evidence I had gathered, and then the dealer service manager who did the same. In fact he flat out told me this steering wheel was incompatible with my car... *Sneeze-BS-Cough* No one wanted to hear it. Finally I emailed my story AND the evidence to the President and Sales Manager of the dealership, who to my surprise emailed me back within 15 minutes and got their customer relations manager involved. They showed the evidence I had to their MiniUSA rep and got it approved right away.

When the parts arrived it was the wrong wheel. It had black stiching not the red, so I called up a dealer that I found selling a JCW with the correct steering wheel and talked to their parts department to get the right part number for the JCW red stitched steering wheel with paddle shifters. If anyone needs it, the part number is 32309811222. I gave that to the dealer and FINALLY they got the right part. And so today, after almost six months, it's done! Although frustrating, I have to give huge credit to the president of the dealership and their customer relations manager. They were so supportive and helpful. I wish it didn't take having to get them involved though... Happy driving everyone!

Last edited by nconnella; 08-05-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:29 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I just got back from that road trip.

And all I can say about my MINI JCW Clubman is WOW O WOW.

Yes it did come with the paddle shifters from the factory.
The MA told me at pick up, that they knew about the issue earlier in '13 productions....but they have it ironed out now!

Totally love the driving experience.
I haven't had much time to take pics yet, as I have been driving it steady for 9 days now.

Here's a little pic of me and the car till I get more.

'13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?-image-1113601798.jpg

Last edited by BubbaJCW; 08-11-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ben.e
Well I just got back from that road trip.

And all I can say about my MINI JCW Clubman is WOW O WOW.

Yes it did come with the paddle shifters from the factory.
The MA told me at pick up, that they knew about the issue earlier in '13 productions....but they have it ironed out now!

Totally live the driving experience.
I haven't had much time to take pics yet, as I have been driving it steady for 9 days now.

Here's a little pic of me and the car till I get more.
Nice. That is my thoughts afte driving Lana, so I can only imagine what you feel with about 20 more HP and a few hundred pounds less.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Craig Steiger
Neutral
I just picked up my car from the dealership also. It is done. Took them almost 3 weeks. Seems parts were the problem. They called me just about every day and gave me an update. I'm very happy to have this done!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Manfrednl
Neutral
If anyone needs it, the part number is 32309811222. I gave that to the dealer and FINALLY they got the right part. And so today, after almost six months, it's done!

[/QUOTE]

Hi there, i am new here.
Just ordered my R57MCS auto.
Today I changed the specs at the dealer because I want the jcw alcantare steering wheel. But the dealer states it will come without paddle shifters.
You gave the part number for the red stitch jcw steering wheel with paddle shifters. Just want to know if the alcantara version can be orderde with paddle shifters and, if yes, what the part number will be. Would be great to get the paddle shifters on the alcantara wheel.

Gr. manfredNL

Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM
AMink
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by durazo
Sorry it took so long to answer spoovy.

Last week I spoke to the person who is handling my case at MINI USA. I really expressed my growing frustration in making full car payments on a car that was delivered to me incomplete. I told her that I paid for the auto transmission and for the PADDLE SHIFTERS, I also told her that I did not think it was fair to keep making full monthly payments on a car that is incomplete. Her response to this was to give MINI until the end of March to install the paddle shifter in my car, if I did not have them by the end of the month they would replace the entire car. Since I thought this was too good to be true I had her send it over in writing, sure enough a few days later I received this:

Dear Mr. Durazo:

We appreciate your patience regarding the missing Paddle Shifters in your vehicle. I’m sorry that the delay has inconvenienced you. MINI strives to make you happy by delivering superior performance in a premium small car. Because your experience fell short of expectations, we want to regain your trust.

I reviewed your concern with our Market Team. We are optimistic that your paddle shifters will arrive by the end of March 2013. If, however, we do not meet our deadline on this we will proceed with trading you into a new vehicle equipped with your paddle shifters.

We hope this offer will help to renew your confidence in MINI.

Wishing you swift and sporty motoring,

Kind regards.

So, there is now only 2 weeks left in the month and I still haven't heard anything from them. On April 1st I will be giving them a call asking for my replacement car, in a way I hope they replace the car...I feel like a retrofit will be a patch-up job and not be the same as a JCW with paddle shifters from factory.

I will keep you posted. Hope this helps.
Did you get a new car? Maybe I missed a post. This has been an "interesting" thread!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Manfrednl
Just want to know if the alcantara version can be orderde with paddle shifters
No, but you can take a Dremel or knife to it and modify it to fit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-shifters.html

Old 04-10-2016, 06:41 PM
13WSCRJCW
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purchased a 2013 MINI JCW from a MINI dealership in the Seattle area in Dec. 2014. It was a MINI CPO ( Certified Pre-Owned ) JCW. A week later I went on vacation to Arizona While there I visited the MINI dealership in Tucson. I talked with a Service Advisor there who helped me get the parts list and said I should contact MINI USA about no paddle shifters in 2013 JCW. When I got back from vacation I contacted my MINI dealership in Portland. They looked at my VIN number and said that my MINI JCW does not fall under the specific range on production dates and if I want paddle shifters I had to foot the bill which is $1100 for all the parts and an additional $250 for labor to install the. So I gave up until started reading this thread. Does anybody have a copy of this bulletin about "No Paddle Shifters ? My 2013 JCW has a build date of 9/21/12 which should be within the range of production dates that it should have come with the Paddle Shifters. I'm going to call MINI Customer Service tomorrow morning and talk with them. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey All,
I am negotiating with a gentleman to purchase his 2012 Mini "S" cab which has the JCW appearance packages, inside and out, including the optional red stitched steering wheel, all factory installed. The car was ordered with the automatic trans w/paddle shifting but when the car arrived at the dealership it had the red stitched steering wheel but no paddle shifters.

As much as I would like to buy this car, the asking price is at the top of the scale for one of these cars due to its condition and low mileage. Here's the thing, if I find that I'm the one who would be paying an additional $1600 for the retrofit....I'll pass on buying this car. So, I would like to get some added info about this "no paddle shifters" issue since it is a big thing for me.

Some pages back in this thread, a member mentioned a 4/4/13 Bulletin sent to dealerships about the retrofit for vehicles affected. Has anyone seen that bulletin, or better yet, is there someone that can reference it by number?

Second, some subsequent owners of these cars are dealing with this problem now. For reasons unknown, the original owner of this particular car just didn't get the change made. Are guys like me now stuck with this, or do we have recourse with Mini USA? Has anyone else purchased a pre-owned JCW and had the fortune of having Mini do the retrofit even though you were not the original owner?

Sure could use some advice on this. Thanks!
Rich

Last edited by Rich B.; 03-14-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2018, 01:26 PM
13WSCRJCW
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never saw the bulletin. I got the “Sorry but you MINI doesn’t fall within the production dates to qualify for paddle shifters. I said oh well and paid out of my pocket to get them installed and programmed into the car. I really wish there was someone that had the bulletin because Iwould still like to read it. Wish I had more information for you.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I've been at work trying to find out more information about this issue.

So far I've uncovered a reference to Mini Bulletin #M-30-0811-0016. I have not seen the actual bulletin however, it specifically states therein that a "mistake" was made by Mini affecting some early 2012 production cars whereby non-paddle steering wheels were substituted for unavailable paddle steering wheels during the assembly of auto-trans cars equipped with JCW, red stitched, steering wheels. This problem was very specific to this steering wheel only. The bulletin also provides the dealership with the retrofit solution.

Now if we can only get a copy of that document this is all that may be needed to get any remaining affected vehicles refitted with paddle wheels. Anybody know where to get a copy of this document to share? Thanks,
Rich