Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

'13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
cajunstu
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Shifters are being put on as I write

I received a letter from Mini about 8 months ago saying that they were in such a rush to get my 2012 MCs to me that they forgot to install the paddle shifters, haha. I'm finally getting around to doing the work this month. Two weeks ago I was told by the service manager that it would take a week for the work to be done and as of today my car is still at the dealers. I wrote to the manager this morning just to see how they were progressing and I was told that they had a problems with the FRM module when they tried to reprogram it. According to Baton Rouge Mini a new FRM module should be in tomorrow and I should be back in my car in a few day's???? I did some checking regarding the FRM module and it controls lots of the electronics. I'll have to make sure that everything is functioning, lights, windows, roof, speed control, tail lights, head lights, automatic windshield washers so on and so forth before I leave the dealer, we are two hours apart. I'll do a follow up after I pick it up providing I don't crash and burn driving with the new electronic module.

The following users liked this post:
lcac1779 (06-04-2021)
Old 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to give everyone an update.

I ended up having Mini USA purchase my vehicle back. I surrendered my vehicle last week. It was a long ordeal. In the end I was perfectly okay having them purchase the vehicle back. Wish it didn't have to end this way, but I guess that's just the way it goes.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Wow. Are you buying another?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM
JackMan017
2nd Gear
No I am not. I am satisfied MiniUSA purchased the vehicle back, but I was not interested in purchasing another Mini. Little too worn down. I ended up purchasing a CPO BMW 335i. And yes it most certainly has paddle shifters

Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 AM
rigormootis
2nd Gear
Wow!!! Well I am waiting for parts to come in. I am going to call again tomorrow to get an update. I don't want to go down this road, I am enjoying my car. I just want what is rightfully mine.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
As I posted earlier, I too took delivery of my S Coupe without paddle shifters. I was assured by my dealer and Mini USA that they would add them as soon as parts became available. It took about 6 months, but it was worth it. It is exactly like what is installed from the factory. Keep in touch with your Mini USA rep for your area. You will get a letter from Mini telling you to contact dealer to set an appointment. That's all folks.

lcac1779 (06-04-2021)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM
rigormootis
2nd Gear
my parts are in and the service is being done on May6.

lcac1779 (06-04-2021)
Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Craig Steiger
Neutral
Mine does not have them either!

I purchased my car a few weeks ago. It's a JCW hardtop with auto transmission. It does not have Paddle Shifters.... I noticed it when I was saw them on another car and went to mini's site to see why they were not on my car.

Anyone have a contact at Mini USA that is familiar with this problem?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig Steiger
I purchased my car a few weeks ago. It's a JCW hardtop with auto transmission. It does not have Paddle Shifters.... I noticed it when I was saw them on another car and went to mini's site to see why they were not on my car.

Anyone have a contact at Mini USA that is familiar with this problem?
WOW. Contact the dealer and/call MINI direct. Good luck though.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Wow I am surprised that this is still happening. Call Mini USA and get hold of you area Rep. He is well aware of the mess up. Keep in touch with your SA at your local dealer. You will get paddle shifters. What's odd about this whole problem is I just took delivery of a new non S Clubman, I ordered with auto and JCW interior, well it came with paddle shifters. Don't give up.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertDog
What's odd about this whole problem is I just took delivery of a new non S Clubman, I ordered with auto and JCW interior, well it came with paddle shifters.
Even more odd is that MINIUSA eliminated paddle shifters from non-S models years ago.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:47 AM
rigormootis
2nd Gear
When I picked up my 13 clubman S with works package it did not have the paddles. After I saw this thread I went in and spoke to my dealer. One week later I dropped my car off picked it up two day later all done. There was no arguing or questions. They told me it was one of those things that if the customer comes in and asks MINI will take cre of it but if they don't, so be it.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 AM
nconnella
1st Gear
Can anyone who has had success give me their dealers name so i can call them and ask for the service bulletin number so i can give it to my dealer?

Update. I'm now being told that my car although a 2013, was manufactured outside the date of the service bulletin notice. I don't see how that is possible though. I dont see how some JCW's can qualify and others cant...

Last edited by nconnella; 07-08-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
This is crazy, all S model and JCW's with auto trans are suppose to have paddle shifters. Like I said in previous post, call MiniUSA, get a hold of the area Rep. He knows all about the problem and will get the ball rolling. You will receive a letter telling you to contact your dealer to set up an appointment for the install. I went through this process with my S Coupe. I was dealing with Mini of Tempe, Arizona.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:46 PM
rigormootis
2nd Gear
I worked with MINI of Peabody. They are here in Ma. They are a fantastic group and my experience has been nothing but positive so far.
Good luck, even though you shouldn't need it!!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:10 PM
nconnella
1st Gear
Thanks guys. If anyone is willing to share specifics, your name and the mini USA rep you spoke with and their extension, it may really make things easier as I can reference you. PLEASE PM me if you can help. I've spoken with several people at miniusa and non are being helpful. They all play ignorant on the matter. Thank you!!!

Last edited by nconnella; 07-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
I have nothing to contribute here, but as an almost new Mini owner for the first time, this along with many other threads is VERY eye-opening

Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
nconnella
1st Gear
Can anyone tell me the production build date of their JCW that was able to get the paddle shifters? I'm being told because my car was built in September it doesn't meet the bulletin guidelines which state only cars built in Nov-Dec of last year will qualify.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
I am sure you were charged $1250 for the automatic. In the feature list when ordering it is stated like this------ 6-Speed Automatic Transmission with Steering Wheel Mounted Paddle Shifters$1,250
It doesn't mean on some dates

Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
nconnella
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DesertDog
I am sure you were charged $1250 for the automatic. In the feature list when ordering it is stated like this------ 6-Speed Automatic Transmission with Steering Wheel Mounted Paddle Shifters$1,250
It doesn't mean on some dates
I have been of the of most polite and calm manner when dealing with this situation, but I've just been told by a MiniUSA supervisor that there is nothing more that they can do.

Not sure how to proceed. I can let it go (not the end of the world if I don't get them). I can try and contact MiniUSA headquarters to attempt to reach someone higher up since there is no one else who will speak to me at their call center, or I can seek legal council.

My cars build sheet clearly lists automatic tiptronic with paddle shifters.

This is extremely disappointing considering my dealer AND MiniUSA have all told me previously that I would get the retrofit. Now they are backing out and saying my car doesn't qualify.

What a shame... Once again, if anyone here has a specific contact they have had success with (at their dealer or MinisUSA) and can share with me, just to consult with, I would really appreciate it.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Craig Steiger
Neutral
Update on my situation

So I called MiniUSA and they would not confirm or deny my car has this problem. When I asked to speak to someone else at a corporate level, they would not let me speak to anyone else but the Customer Care call center people. They kept telling me to contact my dealer.

I took the car back to the dealership and 1/2 through my story to the lady that sold me the car, she stopped me and said there was a bulletin issued some time ago and they are aware of the problem and she apologized for them not fixing my car before it was purchased. She said the service department would take care of me.

The service guy was a bit puzzled but made an appointment for me to get a loaner and they would take care of me. I took the car in a week ago and they are still not done. The service guy calls me on a daily basis and tells me they are having a hard time getting the parts and this is the first one they have ever done (not really want I want to hear). I'm about ready to tell them to abort the mission and I will just do without. I will see what they say tomorrow.

The loaner car I have DOES have the shifters and I'm not sure I would really use them anyway.... I paid about 45K for this car (a lot of money for a hardtop) and I just think they should make it right.... we will see!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Wow

Morning Fellas and Ladies.

I stumbled upon this thread last night.
I was excited now for two months to get my shiney new 2014 JCW Clubman.
I waited till the Auto option was offered to order mine due to the need for the wife to occassionally drive it.
We took possession of her 2012 MCS last August (first week)
And mine looks like it's at the dealer this morning....Woo Hoo!

But now I'm very stressed about the paddle shifters.
I wanted a manual, but as stated above, went with the Auto.
I am totally bummed now.
I'll post back as soon as I get to actually see it, but I'm sure if it doesn't have the shifters FROM the FACTORY...I'll just let them keep it.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:11 AM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
Wow

Update:
Well it's at the dealer getting the final touches.
Had them shoot me a quick pic or two without saying anything about the paddles.
And they are indeed installed as configured.
JCW steering wheel with red pipeing/stitching and the paddles.
Maybe since this is a 2014 they got the bugs worked out about them showing up with out them.

Now waiting 48 more hours will be the killer.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Z06_Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ben.e
Update:
Well it's at the dealer getting the final touches.
Had them shoot me a quick pic or two without saying anything about the paddles.
And they are indeed installed as configured.
JCW steering wheel with red pipeing/stitching and the paddles.
Maybe since this is a 2014 they got the bugs worked out about them showing up with out them.

Now waiting 48 more hours will be the killer.
Indeed that seems to be the hardest part....after you have watched it travel halfway around the world and now it's finally here, only it's really not. We picked our JCW up a week ago. We went by the dealer the night before the car was to arrive and found it had been dropped off by the transporter very late in the afternoon.

It was still shrinkwrapped and everything....it was really fun walking through the sea of cars and being able to spot ours almost immediately(not many RED CM JCW's ordered around these parts)...

Hope the delivery goes well for you...

Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 AM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Glad to hear it was delivered as ordered. Maybe Mini finally got the bugs worked out when ordering the auto with paddles. Congrats, Motor-On. Post a pic when you can.

Quick Reply: '13 JCW Auto - No Paddle Shifters?