Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

'09 JCW - Problem with Carbotech brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Big G1010
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 JCW - Problem with Carbotech brake pad replacement

I have a 2009 JCW with factory installed Brembo brake system. I bought Carbotech Bobcat brake pads to replace the OEM pads. I had the local MINI dealership install the Carbotech pads. They told me that the Carbotech front pads (CTJCW09 1521) did not have the 2 clips on the top of the pads that the OEM pads have. See attached picture of OEM pads with clips.

They weren't sure what the clips are used for. However, the Carbotach pads seemed to install ok and they scuffed the rotors. The pads clunked around a bit but seemed to settle down as I drive my car home. I bedded in the new pads. They had a constant squeal when I gently applied the brakes. The OEM brakes were much quieter. I called the dealership back and they told me that they typically do not apply lube to the back of OEM pads but they agreed to apply the lube to the Carbotech pads if I bring the car back. They called me today and said that they applied the lube and the squeal is gone but now the pads clunk a lot. Their senior tech reviewed the work and verified that the pads were installed correctly but he isn't sure that the car is safe to drive now.

1) Has anybody had a similar experience with Carbotech Bobcat pads?
2) For the ones who have Carbotech Bobcat pads for the Brembo system, do your Carbotech pads have the 2 top clips?
3) Anybody know what the clips are used for?

Attached Thumbnails '09 JCW - Problem with Carbotech brake pad replacement-2009-jcw-oem-front-brake-pads-back-side.jpg  

Last edited by Big G1010; 10-21-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently swapped out the OEM brake pads on my 09 JCW for the Carbotech Bobcats. My mechanic did the work and other than having to resurface to rotors a second time, the Carbotech pads fit just fine and work very well.

I would give Carbotech a call on Monday.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 AM
phlash
4th Gear
The clips do nothing but help to pull the pads. I've never seen a "chunking" issue with Carbotechs, or any other pad for that matter, used on the street. Do you have pictures of the "chunking" side? Some squeal with this compound is normal, but if the pads are falling apart, it's without question time to get in touch with Carbotech. They are a great group of folks and I have dealt with them for years. Pick up the phone and ask.....

Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Big G1010
Neutral
Thanks for taking the time to reply. The pads are not chunking, like pieces falling off. The pads are clunking, like moving or shifting around when appyling the brakes.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Big G1010
Neutral
Carbotech technical support said that the clips on the OEM pads are to help reduce noise and vibration. They have never heard of anybody having the clunking noise when applying the brakes. Now what?

Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Big G1010
Carbotech technical support said that the clips on the OEM pads are to help reduce noise and vibration. They have never heard of anybody having the clunking noise when applying the brakes. Now what?
OK, this issue (the "clunking" sorry I misread that before) I have had....when you/the dealer installed the pads...did they put the backing plates back in or leave them off? I left mine off one weekend, and it was horrible...it's the pad play in the caliper....even bled really well. This went away when I put the plates back on with a little high temp anti-squeal between the back of the pad and the plate. Haven't had the issue since....

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Big G1010
Neutral
Thanks for checking back in. The Bobcat pads come with the backing plate already affixed to the friction pad. You can't take them off.

I went to the dealership Friday afternoon and drove my JCW. The clunking noise happens when you shift into reverse (after going forward) and brake. The same thing the first time you brake going forward after braking in reverse. After then, the pads seem to settle down. Dustin from Auto X Cooper and David, the service guy at the dealership, said that this clunking noise will probably improve within a short period of time.

We'll see. At least I'm not married to this pads if they disappoint me. I've got options like Hawk.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM
thewebgeek
2nd Gear
You have to have the metal backplate shims on the front pads or they will clunk every time you change directions. Mine did not come with the metal shims, but we were able to move them from the stock pads to the Carbotech pads. (In your picture, the back of the pad where it says "Brembo" is a thin metal shim that is glued to the back of the brake pad.) It wraps around the edges and back of the pads and adds just enough to stop the directional clunking. After a call to Carbotech, they said that was definitely the issue and offered to send shims.

If you replaced the rear pads, you may also run into a direction or low speed clunking noise. I am still waiting for a cure from Carbotech on this one, but I can temporarily fix it by heavily lubing the slides.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:25 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thewebgeek and phlash are 100% correct. This noise is caused by removing the standard shims. It happens to my car with my carbotech XP10s. I'm going to put the shims back in at some stage

Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Tarheel Bully
Neutral
I am having the exact same problem, clunking sound first time applying brakes after change in direction, just had the bobcat's put on yesterday. I had them done at a local shop but I'm almost certain the old pads are long gone by now,... any suggestions as to where I could get new shims, or does anyone know the thickness and material off hand ?... might be able to fashion new ones if replacements aren't available anywhere?
Thanks!

Old 11-25-2010, 06:03 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarheel Bully
I am having the exact same problem, clunking sound first time applying brakes after change in direction, just had the bobcat's put on yesterday. I had them done at a local shop but I'm almost certain the old pads are long gone by now,... any suggestions as to where I could get new shims, or does anyone know the thickness and material off hand ?... might be able to fashion new ones if replacements aren't available anywhere?
Thanks!
I'll measure them for you when I get home tonight.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Tarheel Bully
Neutral
Actually,... I got the problem solved.... This issue was that the backing plates for the pads I was using was too small... There is indeed a thin metal backing or shim that goes around the sides and the back of the stock pads... I was able to get my original pads and take this thin metal shim off and place it on my new pads, problem solved !!!!! The one thing that I found surprising was just how much noise it made from so little travel. It sounded like it must have been moving a couple of inches when indeed it was probably at most 1/32 of an inch. SO.... lesson learned,.. if you're going to change the pads on your brakes, make sure the backing plates are the exact same size, and make sure you ask for your old pads just incase you have to go back and get that shim, I got lucky.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Big G1010
Neutral
I want to post a long term update for the forum. I've struggled with the constant squeal of the Carbotech brakes for about 1 1/2 years now. They cost so much that I couldn't just throw them out and replace them without using them a little. I've finally replaced them with Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads. OMG!!!! What a fantastic improvement. First of all, they come with shims and they have the same footprint as the OEM pads so they fit perfectly. There is no 'clunking' of the pads in the calipers. There is absolutely no noise when applying the brake gently or hard. Plus, the feel of the brake pedal is better too. I don't have to apply nearly as much pressure on the Hawks as I did on the Carbotech pads.

The reason for this post is not to say anything bad about Carbotech but instead say how great the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads are for my JCW. Personal experience is the best way to definitively determine the best choice. I have now experienced Carbotech and Hawk ceramic pads. I whole heartedly recommend the Hawk pads to all MINI owners.

Last edited by Big G1010; 05-06-2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
good write up Big G1010. all i ever read is how good they are but now those same people are here talking about problems.

i was going to get the Hawk and im glad they go well.