F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 local dealer closing

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:20 AM
madmix
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
local dealer closing

Just found out that my Local dealer is expanding the Mercedes building but closing the Mini dealer. The local BMW dealer decided to not pick up the line. I hope this is not a trend.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:52 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
dealer in Daytona Beach closed earlier this year . . .

Old 05-16-2019, 07:08 AM
ArchiMark
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, it's likely a function of sales volume versus costs to operate.....as well as volume of cars brought in for service.

More people need to buy new MINI's and service them at the dealer, if dealers are to stay open.

I did my part a few weeks ago and ordered a new MINI from my local dealer....

The following users liked this post:
Chedder2017 (05-19-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
I read something a few months ago about BMW bringing Mini back into the dedicated BMW buildings again. It makes sense to me personally. Having to pay for 2 buildings on a brand you own is weird.

Hopefully, that means there will be more Mini's in the BMW dealerships since there are typically more of them than Mini stealerships in cities.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
I read something a few months ago about BMW bringing Mini back into the dedicated BMW buildings again. It makes sense to me personally. Having to pay for 2 buildings on a brand you own is weird.

Hopefully, that means there will be more Mini's in the BMW dealerships since there are typically more of them than Mini stealerships in cities.
Not really weird at all. See Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, GM , Ford, Chrysler ,etc.
The problem is the anemic sales of MINI that is dropping like mad. In most places the volume just isn't there to justify the separate facilities. Here in Portland they sell enough cars to justify it. They either need to sell MINI to someone else, merge into BMW or shut it down if sales continue to flop.

If I want to buy a GTI, I don't have far to go to find 5 dealers who want to sell me a car. MINI I have to drive 4 hours to find a competitor willing to deal. Therefore prices are artificially propped up locally. That was the intent of the marketing strategy but it didn't last against the sagging small car market.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
In Arizona the first Mini dealership was in north Scottsdale, right above the BMW dealership. I bought my 2007 MCS there. Then they moved around the corner to their own building (bought my 2014 Coupe there). By then they had dealerships in Tucson and Tempe. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tempe dealership closed. I would be surprised if the Scottsdale one moved back in the BMW though.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:51 PM
El-Grunto
3rd Gear
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchiMark
Well, it's likely a function of sales volume versus costs to operate.....as well as volume of cars brought in for service.

More people need to buy new MINI's and service them at the dealer, if dealers are to stay open.

I did my part a few weeks ago and ordered a new MINI from my local dealer....

Dealers gotta be more competitive when it comes to service prices or offer something of value that a good indie doesn't if they're to get people to bring their cars in for service.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
I've known folks in the car sales business ...ownership .... and they tell me they make little 'selling cars'

they make their money in the service department . . . sales is just a feeder for the service side . . .

along those lines, over the last couple of years I've found my local MINI dealer to be a lot easier to work with and almost cost competitive with local independent mechanics who are MINI friendly

lately my MINI dealer is HAPPY to discover warranty work they can charge back to MINI ..... dealer gets paid .... MINI takes the hit . . .

I posted a link to a video a while back where a MINI dealership was lamenting the change of focus by MINI 'corporate'

it was something I agreed with ... They mentioned change of focus from a 'car enthusiast' and 'I remember the rally cars of the 60's' POV to soccer mom station wagon and the advertising that goes with that vision.

I bought my first off the lot in 2002 HOURS after seeing my first on the road ... and not long after that, the bug having bit, I bought a 1979 I still have. I'm bi MiNual!

but the ever increasing size of the car makes me think they plan to change the company name to MAXI

EDITORIAL

OP suggests early MINI dealers were IN BMW dealerships

As I recall BMW dealers were given the 'first option' of establishing a MINI operation, but it had to be its OWN operation . . .

Bought my first MINI off the lot in 2002 .... As I recall MINI worked hard to establish itself as a separate brand. The dealer I bought my 2002 from was adjacent to the BMW dealer but not the same building and there was NEVER any sharing of 'service' space ... BMW dealers would NOT work on MINI . . . {still don't except as 'general work ... With the closing of the dealership in Daytona they will flat bed TRUCK a MINI to Orlando for warranty work but for pay as you go service will work on the car at the Daytona BMW dealer at 'regular rates' ..... p.s. FORD dealer would too}

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I think MINI might have gone sideways with some of their decisions in the past few years.
I hope the brand will persist, but I'm not sure if they will make it to 2025 the way they are going.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:43 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
My closest dealership, Mini of SF is still open but SF Mini Service Center just closed its doors on May 1st. I have to go to Mini of Concord for service which is over an hour away. I wish the local BMW service centers would start taking Mini customers already. My office is literally 2 minutes from Peter Pan BMW Service center.

Altecfenix (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:34 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Somehow, car manufacturers remain enamored with the same marketing mentality that worked so well in the 1950's when there was, for example, Chevy, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, and Caddy. A young family bought their 1200 square foot suburban tract home, put a Chevy in the garage, worked their way up through Pontiac and Olds, and died with a Caddy and a Buick in their split-level overlooking the golf course. No one cared that the guts of what was under the hood were the same. The trim was the thing. And separate dealerships meant that the Cadillac buyer didn't have to walk into a Chevy store.

When Toyota invented Lexus, and Nissan did Infiniti, they went for the same concept. Spent a fortune. Separate stores, separate identities, different target market. Start them with a Corolla and bury them in a Lexus.

So the revival of MINI was supposed to be all about motoring like old school. Small displacement, light weight, home wrench-turners could customize and tweak away. And this collided with a new generation of car-as-appliance, then Uber and Lyft, and Prius chic. And the, of course, car-based SUV's, in every size, from big to extra-large. MINIs playing dodge ball with Escalades and Navigators. All the SUVs are high up, easy to drive in a straight line over bad roads, mostly trouble-free, with automatic trannys and electronic everything and ever-bigger touch screens.

And the margin crunch. From 15% gross sales margins 30 years ago to less than 8% today. And lots of requirements for latte bars and lounges and free loaner cars and boutiques, and showrooms that follow the corporate design requirements down to the rest rooms.

I had a succession of Jags and Range Rovers. Thought I'd try BMW, since my family had Bimmers since the 1960's. The BMW store was next to the MINI store. On a lark, I drove a MINI,and felt young again and ordered one. What did I order? Fully loaded, automatic everything, leather, nav, power heated seats... up over $40K went the MSRP. It was a bargain compared to $90K Jags and Range Rovers I'd leased before. And, compared to those posh, lumbering Range Rover tanks, I could make a right turn at a corner and never touch the brakes in the MINI.

Not enough of guys like me to sell 50,000 units of MINI a year at over $40,000 a whack.

And not enough "manual mafia" members (credit to MINI Vinnie) to sell 50,000 six speed manual gear boxes a year.

And, with BMW selling X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, and now X7, plus all their M cars.... too many choices, and there you are...

I really hope my next car will be another MINI. I think I've got one more in me … before I visit the Caddy dealer and move to the 15th green.... shoot me now!

ToyCar (05-27-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 PM
madmix
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Well the dealer here in Louisville was a very good dealer, sorry to see them go, even thought they close in two weeks they are replacing my brakes under warranty. A car they did not sell. There was a bulletin, but I have had other dealers not even tell me about the bulletins to avoid repairs. The unfortunate part about BMW not picking up the brand is that it just damages the mini brand even more. People won't even consider a car if there is no dealer in the area. My closest dealer now is 88 miles away, but luckily it is a BMW/Mini dealer so hopefully will remain open. I hope Mini does not go the way of Fiat and pull out of the US.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:11 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie

Saw the same thing. Fortunately my Mini dealership also owns the BMW dealership across the street. If mine closes, I'd guess he will merge rather than just close. He has a nice market down here in Naples Ft. Myers FL. Closest others are Tampa and Miami (100+ miles away). Plenty of Mini driving around here too. So he's making sales.
See article below:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/24696/...s-keep-falling

What doesn't make sense to me is the reference to expense of separate operations for BMW. I'd think these dealerships are locally owned and maintained. Real Estate taxes and utilities, staff, techs all paid by the owner. Dealer is even charged shipping of the cars to his location. So while Mini sales may be struggling, the one directly affected by the slump is the owner of the dealership (and BMW by extension - but consolidation isn't going to increase sales). If the owner of thriving BMW dealership absorbs Mini, the cost increase at the dealership (BMW & add MINI to his sign) level would be minimal. So I get that. But it makes no sense for BMW to force a thriving Mini dealership to close its doors or merge w/ a local BMW dealership.

Dunno about the rest the forum membership, but as long as they keep making Mini's I'll keep buying them. They are one of the most identifiable cars on the road. Like a Porsche, Audi TT, Corvette, you can spot them a mile away. Additionally, they are upscale and a quality build IMO. Oh yeah, and a "blast" to drive..

Last edited by USA-RET; 05-19-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:48 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
We are driving our 2015 Countryman S All4 to where we bought it at a MINI dealer in Allentown, PA about 1.5 to 2 hours away for state inspection on Monday. They were good to us when we bought it last summer so I’m gonna give them a chance re service. I put brand new wheels & tires on the car after we bought it, and I’m a little paranoid they will scratch the wheels...we’ll see how it goes.

Having to drive that far for service is a bit of a pain though, especially when the local BMW dealer is 10 minutes away!

I know a gentleman who used to to own a BMW dealership back in the 1990’s and on, and he tried his best to get a MINI dealership prior to the 2002 launch of the R53 MINI and BMW would not approve it despite being over 2 hours away from the closest MINI dealer!

I’ve never understood that short-sightedness on the part of BMW, and I’m a huge Bimmer fan....just stubborn & stupid thinking/strategy imo!

Last edited by 02fanatic; 05-18-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by tc1728
My closest dealership, Mini of SF is still open but SF Mini Service Center just closed its doors on May 1st.
MINI of San Francisco already closed:

Old 05-19-2019, 04:06 AM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
Good news? Maybe. Went into dealership to make an appointment for a potential problem and talked to the SA that I have known for over 10 years. Good guy, by the way. I asked if they were closing and he said no, the owner sold his two BMW and MINI dealerships to some international company. The sale was not forced, the owner just wanted to retire and not leave an estate mess. He said that they stated no staff changes, no other changes, just tech upgrades. I asked if service prices are going to go up and he said no, their policy was to leave the management alone. Their service has been great and have installed a lot of mods for me, at a fair, competitive price. The SA actually did some of the work like Craven lowering springs. Seems OK for now, and I hope it works out.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM
tc1728
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SFMCS
Good news? Maybe. Went into dealership to make an appointment for a potential problem and talked to the SA that I have known for over 10 years. Good guy, by the way. I asked if they were closing and he said no, the owner sold his two BMW and MINI dealerships to some international company. The sale was not forced, the owner just wanted to retire and not leave an estate mess. He said that they stated no staff changes, no other changes, just tech upgrades. I asked if service prices are going to go up and he said no, their policy was to leave the management alone. Their service has been great and have installed a lot of mods for me, at a fair, competitive price. The SA actually did some of the work like Craven lowering springs. Seems OK for now, and I hope it works out.
Where do you go for warranty service? I was not to impressed with The last place I went to. PM me if you prefer. Thanks

Old 05-24-2019, 02:19 PM
the901
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My local dealership is bleeding service advisers. Two of the top guys left within a short time period of each other. I'm guessing they might be seeing the writing on the wall. I guess I'll need to scope out some of the local shops...

Old 05-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Evlkarl
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Mini of Scottsdale and Tempe are owned by Penske so is Schuhmacher Mercedes across the street. I hope Mini of Tempe will stay open because I refuse to deal with Mini oF Snootsdale. I rather drive to Tucson to buy another Mini in the future. The people up there are rude and think there S$$$ does not smell because they are in Scottsdale . I bought 3 Mini,s from the Tempe Store because they are always willing to deal with in reason to make the customer happy and go out of the way to take care of my needs and worries. The Service Team over at the Tempe store is just awesome. Rant over.