F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY JCW tuning kit installation

Old 12-27-2018, 08:06 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY JCW tuning kit installation

Got a good deal from dealership during Thanksgiving. Dealer asking almost $700 for the installation and programming, I decided to install it by myself to save some money and then bring the car to the dealership for the programming.

This is a very straightforward process, as long as you have proper tools and worked on cars before, you can do this. I cannot find any write up for DIY, so I decided to post some pics for people who might want to install it at home.

Part 1: Wiring

Remove trunk covers

Tailgate silencer receiver unit

Ground cable

I didn't remove the side cover, use plastic pry bar to push the line behind the cover.

Remove door sill cover & push the line underneath the carpet.

Pull the fuse box out, behind the glove box.

You have to pull the whole box out, because the wire come with the kit has to plug in from the back of the fuse box.

Green circle connects to F74. There are blue tabs to hold the wires, I have no clue how to take it out, so I use rasp to shape it to the right size that I can barely push the wire in (The blue tab is to secure the wire, so you want to file the tab right amount, then push the wire hard with a screwdriver). See comment below #2 from J_L, how to remove the blue tab.

cut the zip ties to move the harness on the side to give some room for the black wire to connect to F59. After both wires are done, plug the 2 fuses that come with the kit.

Part 2: Exhaust removal & installation

After removing 2 plates, I started from the back. There are 2 rubber hangers. This is the one on the passenger side.

This is on the driver side.

Move to the front, disconnect the clamp.

This is how clamp looks. For me, I spent the most time to put the new downpipe in, not sure what is the best way to do this...

The remote control has already paired with the valve. After connecting everything, start the car, double-click remote control, the valve will open or close.

I think overall it took me about 4 hrs for the installation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just came back from the dealership. One thing I noticed was changed is hp in driving excitement, changed from 200 to 240. torque remains 240.

Last edited by GT350; 12-28-2018 at 01:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by GT350:
bratling (01-06-2019), Raul Regalado (04-16-2019), the901 (04-18-2019), vetsvette (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 10:31 PM
J_L
4th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice writeup.

About the fuse box wiring... I was confused at first too, but cracked the code eventually. You want to remove those blue things, which are a long strip, which fit like a key to lock all the wires in place. To get to the ones you need, first remove that little "side-car" fuse box, which is on the far right in your pic. Push some tabs or something, and it should slide out. Then you'll see the blue tabs for the keys. Use a screwdriver to pry, or needle-nose pliers to pull them out. Then you just stick the wires in the right hole, and add the fuse to the other side.

Would help if I had pics, I'm sure, but I think you'll get it when the fuse box is sitting in front of you. HTH!

The following 2 users liked this post by J_L:
bratling (01-06-2019), Raul Regalado (04-16-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:59 AM
GT350
3rd Gear
Thanks J_L, good to know how to remove the blue tabs. Add in my post to refer to your comment. It looks simple to remove, I tried one and broke the end tab, then tried to use a screwdriver to push it out but didn't work. Anyhow, the way I did can still secure the wire, so I will leave like that.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:44 AM
charrigan
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a PDF of the installation instructions for the JCW Tuning Kit. If anyone wants them I can email it to you.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Raul Regalado
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this write up. It really helped a lot. Also, thanks to J_L on the trick to get the blue tabs.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:58 PM
GT350
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Raul Regalado View Post
Thanks for this write up. It really helped a lot. Also, thanks to J_L on the trick to get the blue tabs.
Glad it can help