F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 S brake upgrade JCW vs Willwood

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Knovako2
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
F56 S brake upgrade JCW vs Willwood

Hello everyone.
I noticed the price is pretty similar between JCW brakes retrofit and Wilwood front BBK only. Each one is a little over $1500. JCW brembo comes with the rear as well but isnt it the same as S except that JCW rear calipers are painted red?
So my question is this: if we are only comparing an upgrade to front brake kit wich one would be “the one” to get for stopping power, longevity etc. JCW or Wilwood?
any orher things that should be taken into consideration?
thanks guys

Old 08-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Knovako2

any orher things that should be taken into consideration?
thanks guys
Have you considered a higher end brake pad for the car? I'd rather spend $120 for EBC Red pads before shelling out the money for a new set up. Just a thought.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Knovako2
Neutral
This could be a good option. Originals are still good as they were replaced under warrenty just last year. So this is just a thought for the future.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I've installed both and have to say I like the Wilwood better as it is better for performance and real abuse as it has real metal pistons that won't melt. Plus it had more clamping force that made it feel like it stopped much faster. Also was lighter weight than the JCWs
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wilwoo...5-f56-f57.html

But the JCW would be my second choice
https://www.waymotorworks.com/john-c...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
The following users liked this post:
bratling (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 AM
Andrew Park
2nd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the Wilwood 6 pistons on my car. I came from having the stock S brakes with EBC reds on and it definitely is a big difference. The Wilwood's don't squeal at all and the install was a easy. I did a brake flush on all 4 corners including the clutch which was easy enough too. There are 4 bleed screws per caliper on the Wilwood's. You only bleed the top two and loosen only the black part of the screw. They are fragile and I broke one from over tightening so I had to order a new one. If you got any questions on the install let me know.

The following 5 users liked this post by Andrew Park:
8Balls (02-16-2020), bratling (08-10-2018), CallMeRacerB (08-10-2018), ECSTuning (08-13-2018), WayMotorWorks (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 07:22 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
Two piece rotors are better, but if you are not tracking the car I'm not sure it matters.

pad choice determines pad / rotor life, some pads are designed to wear the pad more than the rotor, gloc/carbotech comes to mind. Some wear the rotor faster, hawk pads come to mind.

My absolute favorite street pad, hawk HP+ make lots of dust and wear the rotors out and the squeal like a stuck pig, but man do they ever stop the car even when ice cold. lots of initial bite & high torque pads.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Knovako2
Neutral
Wow, great info! Seems as I am leaning towards Wilwood set when the time comes. Andrew Park, your setup looks fantastic. Do you use winter wheels/tires? If so, how is the wheel clearance around those calipers. I use 17” RSe05 with Pilot Super Sport in the summer, but for the winder will have to switch back to winter tires mounted on stock 17 inch wheels. I wonde it my stock wheel will fit around those calipers

Old 08-10-2018, 06:08 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBlah
Two piece rotors are better, but if you are not tracking the car I'm not sure it matters.

pad choice determines pad / rotor life, some pads are designed to wear the pad more than the rotor, gloc/carbotech comes to mind. Some wear the rotor faster, hawk pads come to mind.

My absolute favorite street pad, hawk HP+ make lots of dust and wear the rotors out and the squeal like a stuck pig, but man do they ever stop the car even when ice cold. lots of initial bite & high torque pads.
Finally, another Hawk fan! I never tried HP+, but loved HPS. Ought to be less noise, wear, and dust... and even better cold stopping. Do we know if there are fitments for F56 yet? Last I checked, info was spotty... sites like TireRack seemed to have the wrong parts listed or something. I need to give ECS a call I guess... And there is also the HPS 5.0, I guess must be better than the original HPS? Can't really get a clear picture on what the improvement is though...

Old 08-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Andrew Park
2nd Gear
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Knovako2
Wow, great info! Seems as I am leaning towards Wilwood set when the time comes. Andrew Park, your setup looks fantastic. Do you use winter wheels/tires? If so, how is the wheel clearance around those calipers. I use 17” RSe05 with Pilot Super Sport in the summer, but for the winder will have to switch back to winter tires mounted on stock 17 inch wheels. I wonde it my stock wheel will fit around those calipers
I have a set of 17x6.5 et50 winter wheels that fit fine. I do use spacers in the front but really only to make the wheels more flush with the fender. With a et45 and et50 set up both clear the calipers without spacers.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:02 PM
Twowheelife
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew Park
I have the Wilwood 6 pistons on my car. I came from having the stock S brakes with EBC reds on and it definitely is a big difference. The Wilwood's don't squeal at all and the install was a easy. I did a brake flush on all 4 corners including the clutch which was easy enough too. There are 4 bleed screws per caliper on the Wilwood's. You only bleed the top two and loosen only the black part of the screw. They are fragile and I broke one from over tightening so I had to order a new one. If you got any questions on the install let me know.

Link to that front lip please?? Exactly what I'm looking for.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:14 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Twowheelife
Link to that front lip please?? Exactly what I'm looking for.
Looks like mine

AC Schnitzer