F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Out of the JCW, into an S.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:25 PM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Out of the JCW, into an S.....

After a year in the intoxicating 2017 JCW, I traded it in on a fully loaded 2018 Certified (2 door) S with 6,100 miles. Speed and handling in the JCW was addicting, but W/O DDC the ride was just too stiff for my old bones, especially on our roads. I've been looking for one with DDC -found one in Atlanta where I bought my JCW. Heads up display is great, not sure about keeping the Satellite Gray Leather clean, but it is more comfortable. Had them swap my new Falken's onto the new purchase and traded straight across. Growing to like the Moonwalk Gray, but want some different wheels. Maybe 30 more HP too. Mod time lol.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:52 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I was ready to make a jump from my JCW Tuned S to a full JCW. Test drove the 2018 JCW and actually think my tuned S is more responsive than the JCW. The Salesman that rode w/ me in both cars agreed that my S seemed faster (around town - stop light to stop light, etc) than the new JCW. He even asked if I had any other mods done to the car. He was rather shocked. So, for my next trade will be for another S and invest in a Dinan Stage 1 (which should produce even better gains than the JCW tune.

My understanding is, the full JCW is way better on the track where you can keep the RPM's higher and grab that extra power, but for a city car, I can't see gaining the JCW extra HP & Torque in normal driving w/o exceeding the speed limits doing it.. Certainly the JCW is going to feel quicker when compared to a stock MCS in normal city driving, but put a tune on the MCS and the roles reverse.

I have the DDC on mine and adjusted the chassis to the softest ride setting while keeping the others as sporty as possible. The car is pure joy to drive and provides plenty of fun w/o any punishing ride.

Get a JCW tune (if you want the open exhaust option) or the Dinan Stage one for the warranty piggyback on your car. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The following users liked this post:
ToyCar (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 05:46 AM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
USA-RET, thanks. I'll check into the Dinan. At first my S felt a bit slow, but after driving it a bit I think the gearing is responsible for some of that, plus the way the former owner drove it. After exercising the throttle a bit it seems to have improved. Also, the JCW must have a lower geared differential to give you that feel of "pull" in any gear. Regarding the ride, it's funny since in my mind I'm still "hovering" around my forties, but at 71 a too firm ride is no fun. By the way the DDC does make a big difference.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyCar
Regarding the ride, it's funny since in my mind I'm still "hovering" around my forties, but at 71 a too firm ride is no fun. By the way the DDC does make a big difference.
I agree with you (we are of the same generation). I find it rather funny that no matter how old we become, we still view the world though the eyes of our younger self's. It's only upon looking in the mirror do I realize how nearly unrecognizable my "old self" has become.

Tis a shame youth is wasted on the young..................

Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I wonder if the DDC on my 14 F56s is equivalent to other years. It is different when you change it, but not a lot different. I think the ride either way is a bit harsh compared to wifes F55 with DDC.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:59 PM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I agree with you (we are of the same generation). I find it rather funny that no matter how old we become, we still view the world though the eyes of our younger self's. It's only upon looking in the mirror do I realize how nearly unrecognizable my "old self" has become.

Tis a shame youth is wasted on the young..................
We have a joke in the music biz that basically says that every old musician thinks he's still young, until one day he looks in the mirror and screams "What the f*** happened?" I am reminded that I'm older by my recovery time after some dumb stunt I pull, lol. And truth---youth is wasted on the young :~)

Old 08-02-2018, 05:00 PM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
I wonder if the DDC on my 14 F56s is equivalent to other years. It is different when you change it, but not a lot different. I think the ride either way is a bit harsh compared to wifes F55 with DDC.
I wonder if it has to do with the longer wheelbase? I rode in my friends F55 and it was pretty smooth even w/o the DDC.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:14 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
On my 2017 going to Sport is a pretty big change in stiffness.