F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini F Series RPM Tune (Mario Palza MQubed_MotorSports)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:02 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mini F Series RPM Tune (Mario Palza MQubed_MotorSports)

Hello, I go by MiniF55 and I love Minis. I have NAM to Thank for most, if not all he important knowledge I have about Minis. Here is my Story......

Old 04-30-2018, 10:28 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
I have a 2010 (n14 Engine) R56 S also Mario Tuned.
My 2015 4 Door Family Car (MiniF55) is my Daily Driver.

The Beginning of my MiniF55 Journey started with this.
Minis Carbon Edition, Jcw Factory Tuned 4 Door Goodness, F Series F55.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:35 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Haven't heard from you for a while. Good to see you back.

The following users liked this post:
MiniF55 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 10:46 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
The dealership got me by sending us home with a 4 Door “Justa” loaner (standard 4 door Mini, also pepper white) I was quite impress by the handling, acceleration and overall feel of the car. The looks of the 4 door never bothered me, most considered it non-Mini. Most were right, to me it was actually Better! The new platform is moving away from what “once was” to what the Future will be. It’s totally fine to be afraid of the unknown, and honestly, we didn’t know what direction the brand was headed.

This is my First ever Picture of MiniF55

Old 04-30-2018, 11:04 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Drove 50 miles to Mini of Marin to check out the Carbon Mini (They were the only ones in NorCal that had it in stock) Just like the Mini Good Wood Edition, this is one of those Minis you just have to see in person.

I was Finally able to Test Drive a Mini F Series 4 Door S. For the most part, the S and Standard Mini both go fast. The S just gets you there Faster.

Ended up taking home my Midnight Black with White roof and mirrors Home that same day. The F Series F55 4 Door always fascinated me. The engine seems to have a lot of potential, and I wasn’t quite ready to be a Countryman owner just yet.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:37 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Please be kind, I don’t really have an Automitive background nor am I affiliated with any company or brand. Most like everyone here, I like Minis and North American Motoring is by far the Best place/community for those in need of information.

If you’ve been here the last few years, then you know know I’ve had my share of “piggy back” options.

- NM Module: (Jerry is awesome by the way)
It was one of the first upgrades, and the only tuning option I really considered for my car. The Additional boost and acceleration was great for the Price. Using Race Fuel was even better! That got expensive fast.

- Dinantronic Sport: (Dinan and BMW does it get any better)
Just by reputation and Name alone, I was drawn into looking into what they have to offer. They were somewhat local and I was able to Visit their office. One of the main technicians that developed the Dinantronics fitted my Mini and I was able to test it out. Also loved having this Unit, a little bit more conservative but the power curved felt smooth and the build up to full acceleration was nice.

All this time, I’ve been waiting for the right moment.
I’ve always wanted and been waiting for the right Tuning option.
It took a while, but they finally manage to break through and perform an ECU tune on the F Series.

- RPM Tune (Mario of MQubed_MotorSports)
And out comes the ECU....

Bubble wrapped (with big bubbles) I like peace of mind when I’m shipping out my ECU

Found a great you tube DIY on Ecu removal. Taking it out was straight Forward. The challenge is double checking and making sure that everything goes back Exactly how you took it apart. (Taking pictures should help if you try on taking on this task) I didn’t quite line up my Battery Casing the first time. Had to redo it and make sure everything was nice and flush.

Off to Mario for Overnight Delivery.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:48 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
My car recently passed 40,000 miles. I strongly Believe that if my B46 Engine will have any issues (as other generations/R Series have experienced) I would have noticed something by now. My car is Daily Driven, and I have Driven it Hard. Never made it to the Track as some F Series Minis get to Experience. Been cautiously watching fluids and Averaging an oil change every 4-6 thousand miles through the Dealership.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:56 PM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Car Modification
- Jcw Pro Exhaust (Bluetooth enable)
- MQubed_MotorSports Ceramic Coated Down Pipe (installed about 2 years ago)
- Helix Intercooler
- AWE S-Flow CAI (yes I still have it. Yes it still works. I know the engine bay gets hot)
- other mods not relevant to this post.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:30 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
- RPM Tune (Ecu re-installation day)

Thanks again Mario for Getting my ECU back to me safely and fast. It was Hailing the day I got it back and couldn’t work on my car til later in the day. Got everything back on and had to wait for morning for a test Drive.

Couldn’t sleep so I decided to give it a start for a little drive at 1:30 a.m. Let’s just say it was slightly louder (but in a great way)

Drove it very conservatively for a few miles, then I got a call from the Wifey. Apparently my Son woke up (possibly from my car) and I had to drive home. This was a Blessing in disguise.

- RPM TUNE (day after)

Decided to double check my Work the next morning and watched the YouTube install video again. Noticed that I didn’t put back the battery casing properly and wasn’t sitting flush. So I had to fix that before I do any hard driving. Minis engine bay, is well, Mini. Everything is compact and over engineered to some level.

Now for the fun part, Daily driving. Decided it was safe to drive MiniF55 to work since I somewhat got to test drive it the night before. The car felt lighter and very nimble. The acceleration felt effortless and the car seems it’s always ready to sprint. I find myself questioning my foot, since the car is moving significantly faster, but my driving pattern and gas pedal application is the same. I find myself a cars length ahead (from light to light) along other cars I’m accustomed to driving my daily commute with. (Speed limit is 40) I know it’s not an exact science but the car has definitely changed completely!

Freeway Driving. Let’s just say it gets to 85 REAL fast (speed limit is 65) so you have to be careful. RPM stays relatively low and the shift and power application is smooth and perfectly timed. I have an Auto but got used to using Paddle shifter or Auto-Manual mode.

The F Series in itself feels very stable and firmly grounded. It also helps that my car is lowered and my center balance is lower and also more stable. I have yet to Really push it to its full/max potential.

Anyone considering a tune, should definitely look into RPM tuning and by now, we all know Mario and MQubed_MotorSports so nothing really need to say here that hasn’t already been said.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:38 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
I’m sure there are other Tuning options out there. I can only speak about my experience and how I strongly Believe RPM Tune is the right Tune for me. Our F Series Cars can take a lot of beating. It’s strong, and so far Very Reliable. These cars are ready to see its potential and shine. Thank you for your time and reading my fun experience with MiniF55.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:44 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Haven't heard from you for a while. Good to see you back.
Thank you. Been busy with Family and life. It’s always nice to be back to NAM. I know I can always count on this site when ever I have any questions or in search of advise. I’m glad that I’m somewhat able to contribute to the Mini FSeries, specifically the MiniF55 category. I really wish I was closer to your parts of the woods. Would like to see how your car compares to mine. I’m sure you’ll make a great lead car in the twisties, and I can give it the good ol’ college try keeping up.

Good day.

The following users liked this post:
vetsvette (11-05-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 12:49 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear

When Mother Nature has other Plans. And you really just want to install your ECU.

When the overnight mail finally comes and it’s loaded with Candy!!!! Ooooh so sweet sweet Candy.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:35 PM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked the NM module. I sold mine 6 mos ago, and now of course I have the JCW and want one again. ha!

I'm looking at that AWE S-Flow. Saw it in person at the shop, though not yet installed... seems like the design mitigates some of the hot engine air problem... maybe?

Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 AM
DREAMKRUSHER
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Countryman

Good morning Mario,
I am trying to contact you regarding a SPS switch for a manic tune, unless you have something else or advice that could steer me in the right direction. I am here in So-Cal also.
Thank you,
J. North