F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 JCW compared to an MCS w/ JCW tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:25 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
JCW compared to an MCS w/ JCW tune

Just curious if anyone can give me performance comparison between a JCW model F56 and an MCS w/ the tune package.

Not so much interested in the brakes or suspension or appearance differences, but more of a "butt dyno" impression between the two.

Acceleration from a stop and throttle response for passing from say 20 MPH to 70 MPH, and 70+ MPH passes on interstates.

I saw a big difference w/ my car after the tune was added. While my HP isn't as great as a stock JCW, my torque numbers are actually higher and come into play at lower RPMs than a stock JCW.

Torque is where I feel the most noticeable performance gains are felt. So am curious how this translates when comparing the two cars in on the road acceleration and passing performance.

Most of my driving is in town so quickness off the line and getting around "slowpokes" quickly is where I get the most enjoyment with my car.

Next car is tentatively be a JCW. Am hoping to see some performance gain between it and my current tuned MCS (considering the cost difference between a JCW and an MCS w/ the tune). Just need a bit of real world info from any who have had the opportunity to drive both and experience their acceleration.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Oh go ahead Dennis! Order the NM module! You know you want to! That'll give you more power than a JCW, and don't for get the military discount and free shipping.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Oh go ahead Dennis! Order the NM module! You know you want to! That'll give you more power than a JCW, and don't for get the military discount and free shipping.
We do enjoy spending each others money, don't we?

Seriously, if the tune on the "S" gives better low end grunt than the JCW, I may reconsider my next purchase and stay with the S and a tune, and just add more "gingerbread" to the order. I can actually get a better looking green (British Racing) for $500 on the S than the $1500 JCW Rebel Green. All the other cosmetic stuff can be added if one chooses.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:45 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I think Pedro has the JCW tune MCS numbers here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-the-dyno.html

After coming back from MTTS 2016, lost of JCW tuning Kits and JCWs with the NM module. Allot of smiles from the JCW Tuning Kit exhaust. So I would say people were very happy, that, and maybe because 1000+ MINI driving together.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove both models bone stock. The S felt quicker around town going through 1st and 2nd gear shifting around 5k rpm wot (both manual).

I ended up getting the JCW because it's a JCW, and I didn't want any regrets.

Check Ryephile's thread comparing the 2:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-cooper-s.html

Old 07-21-2016, 04:30 PM
furnitureman9
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2009 clubman jcw and just got a stage 2 manic tune. Is the nm module better than the manic?

Old 07-21-2016, 05:03 PM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by furnitureman9
I have a 2009 clubman jcw and just got a stage 2 manic tune. Is the nm module better than the manic?
The NM is for 3rd gen cars. Your 2011 Clubbie is a 2nd gen car.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I think Pedro has the JCW tune MCS numbers here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-the-dyno.html

After coming back from MTTS 2016, lost of JCW tuning Kits and JCWs with the NM module. Allot of smiles from the JCW Tuning Kit exhaust. So I would say people were very happy, that, and maybe because 1000+ MINI driving together.

Yes, I have seen Pedro's dyno results testing different models (including a 2016 JCW) and comparing the dyno results between models. His dyno numbers with just the tuner (no NM) vs. the 2016 JCW shows less HP for the MCS, but better torque numbers earlier in the RPM band.

This is what got me thinking that maybe for around town sprinting and passing the MCS w/ the JCW tune wouldn't be better than the full JCW.

Hate to spend $5K more for a decked out JCW only to find out my 2015 S w/ the JCW tune is peppier around town.

Loving my little MCS w/ the tune, as it's a rocket off the line and for darting through traffic.

Higher torque seems to be the key to getting the kind of performance I'm enjoying. No doubt on a track with higher rev's the JCW would prevail and show it's superiority, but that's not how I'm driving my car.

Now if they bumped the 2018 JCW HP to 250 HP and torque to 250+, I'd not even question it.....but would hate to spend the extra $ for a JCW and then have to add an NM power module to feel a noticeable increase in around town performance compared to my current MCS.

Hoping my deaership gets a JCW automatic I can test drive.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Hilde
1st Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET

This is what got me thinking that maybe for around town sprinting and passing the MCS w/ the JCW tune wouldn't be better than the full JCW.

Hate to spend $5K more for a decked out JCW only to find out my 2015 S w/ the JCW tune is peppier around town.

Loving my little MCS w/ the tune, as it's a rocket off the line and for darting through traffic.
USA-RET, I've enjoyed reading your posts about your JCW tune. I will hopefully pick up my 2016 F56 S next week, and after reading about the usefulness of the extra torque available with the JCW tune, I am inclined to save up for the tune. IMHO, the extra torque is far more valuable than the full out HP as I don't plan on tracking my MINI, but I'd love extra zip in the heavy traffic around the Puget Sound.

Also, you may have mentioned it, but is there a way to dampen the "burbles, etc" from the JCW muffler. I don't really want that much noise.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:57 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by Hilde
Also, you may have mentioned it, but is there a way to dampen the "burbles, etc" from the JCW muffler. I don't really want that much noise.
Sure. Just don't activate the BT Fob and all exhaust will be routed through the muffler. Still sounds good, but not as loud and active.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Hilde
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Sure. Just don't activate the BT Fob and all exhaust will be routed through the muffler. Still sounds good, but not as loud and active.
Thanks, vetsvette, I knew I had read that was possible somewhere.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:38 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hilde
Thanks, vetsvette, I knew I had read that was possible somewhere.
Pedro was going to check the next time he dyno'd his car w/ the exhaust flap closed. Previous runs were with the exhaust open. Betting you take a HP and Torque hit with the exhaust closed.

As is, I run with the flap open, sport mode and the auto shift lever pulled to the left into M/S mode (using the "S" rather than the "M") and the car is pure entertainment.

Not a big fan of the burbbles either, but still puts a smile on my face when the car is winding down and "farts".

Suppose you would get a similar boost if you went with just an NM power module and the stock exhaust (no JCW tune). Not sure I've ever read a comparison "butt" or actual dyno of a MCS with just the NM power module installed.

If we had those numbers we could compare to Pedros "Clark" w/ just the JCW Tune.

F56 Cooper S w/ JCW Tuning Kit:
Wheel Horsepower: 206.53 whp
Wheel Torque: 236.99 ft-lbs
Crank Horsepower: 231.31 bhp
Crank Torque: 265.43 ft-lbs

F56 Cooper S w/ NM power module:
?
?
?
?

Old 07-22-2016, 02:51 PM
vetsvette
I ran mine for a month or so with just the NM module (set on hi) and per my "butt dyno" it put more power down than the JCW Kit alone. It was after reading Pedro's write ups that I decided to get the JCW Tune too. I ran it for two months with the JCW Tune alone while I was breaking in my new motor, so I have actually driven quite a bit with all three modes. My personal choice?...... Why the JCW Tune AND the NM Module of course!

Old 07-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Hilde
1st Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Pedro was going to check the next time he dyno'd his car w/ the exhaust flap closed. Previous runs were with the exhaust open. Betting you take a HP and Torque hit with the exhaust closed.

As is, I run with the flap open, sport mode and the auto shift lever pulled to the left into M/S mode (using the "S" rather than the "M") and the car is pure entertainment. [/I]
Ah! Good point about taking a HP and torque hit with the exhaust closed. And, pure entertainment is why we buy these little beasts

Old 07-22-2016, 11:39 PM
MoJo4Twenty
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doings some spirited driving and this modded pepper white r56 came passing us by. He was going fast with ease. Pushed on the gas and kept up, felt I had more but didn't since I had the kiddos and other minis around for the rally. Let's just say he seemed surprised that my minif55 had some ump. Running on jcw exhaust and nm power module and a few little mods that gives my 4 door some pep. I wish I could have spoke with the guy and asked what mods he had in his car. It definitely didn't run like my wife's pepper white r56. Lol