F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Another Vent filter other than the cabin filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Another Vent filter other than the cabin filter?

Is there an air vent filter on a 2015 MINI S where air from the outside of the car passes through to the inside?

I've been doing online searches for info and all I can find is the long rectangle cabin filter. From what I gather the cabin filter pick up air inside the car (passenger side floor) and routes it through the AC vents.

There has to be an exterior filter located somewhere else that filters incoming outside air. I have a smell when first starting the car for only a few seconds when the AC blows and the vent setting is set to outside air). No smell when set to recirculate cabin air only.

With a auto setting on the dash to eliminate offensive outside odors (which just happens to not omit the one I'm experiencing) one would believe there has to be a filter involved other than the cabin filter). Again, when my car is set to recirculate cabin air, no smell is present.

Best I could come up with was a thread on another forum. Guy was talking about an AC filter located near the center console and is behind a cover which is held in place by one screw. Cabin filter is not located there and has no screws holding the cover in place.

Any ideas?

Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM
sbninja
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "cabin filter" in my 2013 does in fact filter outside air coming into the cabin. It does not draw air from the passenger side footwell.

I don't why mini would re design this and change the definition of "cabin filter"?

Check your owners manual, it should have an explanation of the cabin filter, where it is and what it does.

Post back here with your results. I am interested in knowing if mini did in fact re design

Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sbninja
The "cabin filter" in my 2013 does in fact filter outside air coming into the cabin. It does not draw air from the passenger side footwell.

Not according to this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-k8nf-OMU

I don't why mini would re design this and change the definition of "cabin filter"?

Check your owners manual, it should have an explanation of the cabin filter, where it is and what it does.

Post back here with your results. I am interested in knowing if mini did in fact re design
I asked this question in hopes of finding where the outside air is entering the cabin.

I have an odor problem on each morning start up, Initial air flow out of AC vents smell of vinegar. Lasts 2-5 seconds then is clear. Only smells when vent is set to "outside" air flow on shut down the night before. if set to Recirculate when shut down in the evening, initial air flow on morning start up smells fresh and clean.

That tells me air is coming through a separate locations when vent is set to recirculate or "Outside" ***)

Honestly, the MINI owners manual is less than useful. Often it refers you to the built in manual in the car or further explanation. Thankfully I'm not a "fiddler" wanting to try every built in feature. Once I get things set where I want them, I leave them alone. Just wanting the vent odor to go away.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:03 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear

Yep, I've seen that video before,. I just watched it again - I can't find any reference to him stating that the cabin filter filters "inside" air.

Outside air comes into the air duct from the outside and passes through the cabin filter first.

I have changed my filter before, the old one had sand/dirt leaves and other debris one would encounter.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:07 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear

In my 2013 S coupe, there is a vent outside just below the windshield. The opening for outside air to come into the cabin is located on the passenger side behind the battery. Looking at it right now. It's a pretty big opening. The cabin filter is clearly visible right at the opening.

Last edited by sbninja; 09-01-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear

Here is the opening , you can see the cabin filter

Attached Thumbnails Another Vent filter other than the cabin filter?-photo37.jpg  

Last edited by sbninja; 09-01-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-01-2015, 03:15 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear

My owners manual it quite clear. It states that the activated charcoal filter provides additional protection by filtering gaseous pollutants from the "OUTSIDE AIR"

Attached Thumbnails Another Vent filter other than the cabin filter?-photo730.jpg  

Last edited by sbninja; 09-01-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Then I am at a complete loss to explain the smell coming into the car. I suppose I could pull the cabin filter and check it, but that filter should be filtering both recirculated and outside vented air. Guess I could buy a charcoal replacement and see if that remedies that problem.

Why I get the smell when set to outside A/M and not recirculate is inexplicable.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Worth a shot, I have went to active carbon on my Gen 1 and Gen 2 MINI and it helped with the smells.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2014-Cooper-F56-S-3_Door-B48A20A/Climate_Control/Cabin_Filter/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-01-2017, 05:17 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Well this is an old thread... but gonna bring it back up anyway. Thinking it's time to replace my cabin air filter. I have a 2014, without auto climate control. Is it possible to use one of the carbon filters, or it just won't fit?

Jeff

Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Carbon filters are no different in size.
Its carbon inpregnated paper.
They work!!

Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by sbninja
My owners manual it quite clear. It states that the activated charcoal filter provides additional protection by filtering gaseous pollutants from the "OUTSIDE AIR"
What about gaseous pollutants from apssengers??

Old 08-03-2017, 01:29 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Carbon filters are no different in size.
Its carbon inpregnated paper.
They work!!
No different in size, vs. the paper ones for the auto-climate cars? Or you mean they fit even cars without auto-climate? I don't see why they would design 2 different sized filters, so I imagine they would work... then again, I don't see why they wouldn't list carbon filters as an option for non-auto cars.

Sorry, just trying to get first-hand info... =)

Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I had a funky smell from my air conditioner. I found a mouse nest in the cabin air filter, it was a big pile of moss. I cleaned it out and wiped it down with disinfectant and got a new cabin air filter. Then I made a grill out of metal gutter screen for the cabin air intake behind the battery, no problems ever since.