F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 De-chroming Exterior

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:13 AM
mcoopers81
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De-chroming Exterior

I've tried googling what I was looking for and although I found a couple of websites that offer these embellishments, but does anyone had experience or know of which has a better quality? I've asked my MA to order the Black Line, but that only covers the head/taillights. I'd like to go further and de-chrome the handles (w/comfort access), the gas cap and possibly the grill. OutMortoring.com offers them, but I don't know if their quality is that good considering their ratings is subpar.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Phantogram
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mcoopers81
I've tried googling what I was looking for and although I found a couple of websites that offer these embellishments, but does anyone had experience or know of which has a better quality? I've asked my MA to order the Black Line, but that only covers the head/taillights. I'd like to go further and de-chrome the handles (w/comfort access), the gas cap and possibly the grill. OutMortoring.com offers them, but I don't know if their quality is that good considering their ratings is subpar.

I have the OEM MINI Black head light and tail light trim rings. I ordered them from ECS Tuning. As far as replacing the handles and gas cover, I don't think you can. But there are various overlay products you can buy and apply. I have the CARBONMINI genuine carbon fiber gas cap overlay, and I have their carbon fiber handle overlays (with comfort access) arriving today, actually. I don't think there are ways of replacing those entire parts, unless you buy a chrome replacement part, and paint it yourself?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:39 PM
maytulip32
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Phantogram
I have the OEM MINI Black head light and tail light trim rings. I ordered them from ECS Tuning. As far as replacing the handles and gas cover, I don't think you can. But there are various overlay products you can buy and apply. I have the CARBONMINI genuine carbon fiber gas cap overlay, and I have their carbon fiber handle overlays (with comfort access) arriving today, actually. I don't think there are ways of replacing those entire parts, unless you buy a chrome replacement part, and paint it yourself?
How much were the CARBONMINI handles and fuel cap? I went to their website but couldn't find prices.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:45 PM
mcoopers81
1st Gear
Yes. The overlays. That's what I mean. I apologize for not being specific. I'm just concerned because I know there's not much you can do other than overlay the product over the handles/gas cap but I've seen pictures where they are being held by just 3M adhesive strips? Will that even hold overtime? And my other concern is the quality of the plastic. Please let me know how yours stands up.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Phantogram
1st Gear
Originally Posted by maytulip32
How much were the CARBONMINI handles and fuel cap? I went to their website but couldn't find prices.
The handles are $180 and the fuel cap is also $180, but I believe I got my fuel cap for $150. If you add Erin Argent on Facebook (co-founder? of CARBONMINI), she's super nice and gives discounts!

Yes. The overlays. That's what I mean. I apologize for not being specific. I'm just concerned because I know there's not much you can do other than overlay the product over the handles/gas cap but I've seen pictures where they are being held by just 3M adhesive strips? Will that even hold overtime? And my other concern is the quality of the plastic. Please let me know how yours stands up.
As far as the trim rings, they are actual replacements, not overlays. They have clips that mount just like the stock chrome ones do, so they won't be going anywhere.

My Carbon Fiber overlays are genuine carbon fiber, so they're durable and suuuuper thin. They are held on with thin D/F tape and high-bond glue. Those pieces aren't going anywhere. I also have the emblem overlays, installed with the same methods. They are extremely quality overlays and look stock when installed on the car. Here are a couple pics of mine. I haven't installed the handles yet, as they just arrive today.

carbon fiber emblems from CARBONMINI

carbon fiber fuel cap from CARBONMINI

Old 08-12-2015, 10:33 PM
mcoopers81
1st Gear
As far as the trim rings, they are actual replacements, not overlays. They have clips that mount just like the stock chrome ones do, so they won't be going anywhere.

My Carbon Fiber overlays are genuine carbon fiber, so they're durable and suuuuper thin. They are held on with thin D/F tape and high-bond glue. Those pieces aren't going anywhere. I also have the emblem overlays, installed with the same methods. They are extremely quality overlays and look stock when installed on the car. Here are a couple pics of mine. I haven't installed the handles yet, as they just arrive today.

carbon fiber emblems from CARBONMINI

carbon fiber fuel cap from CARBONMINI
Looks amazing! Nice shots of the car by the way. It even looks like an advert for CARBONMINI. Can't wait to see the door handles. I was thinking of getting glossy black, but the carbon looks nice too. And I'm sure it'll look great with Thunder Grey as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:09 AM
MAGICIAN
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went gloss black to match my car. The front and rear trim rings are replacements. The door handle and gas cap are overlays. My next step is the belt line. I wish they had covers for the chrome headlight washers. I haven't found them yet. If you want to see pics. PM me.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM
GreyNation
2nd Gear
I have the overlays for the door handles and gas cap. I also have the trim rings for the tails and headlights. Mine are from Outmotoring and the quality is as good as any overlays you will get (other than Carbon Fiber). The handle cover actually clip around and tape on. No worries with them coming off.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM
mcoopers81
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GreyNation
I have the overlays for the door handles and gas cap. I also have the trim rings for the tails and headlights. Mine are from Outmotoring and the quality is as good as any overlays you will get (other than Carbon Fiber). The handle cover actually clip around and tape on. No worries with them coming off.
Very nice! I may go with OutMotoring then. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 AM
GreyNation
2nd Gear
You're welcome.
Very nice! I may go with OutMotoring then. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2015, 11:43 AM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Where do u get the black grill surround pieces ?

thxs

Old 08-13-2015, 12:35 PM
GreyNation
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RDSJCW
Where do u get the black grill surround pieces ?

thxs
I had it and the blue bar vinyl wrapped. As far as I know that is the only way to do it if you are in the states. You can now order them from this company in the UK. http://newministuff.com/3rd-gen-exte...yling-75-c.asp

Old 08-13-2015, 01:06 PM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Thxs,

just ordered the black grill trim. Was $140.00 shipped to USA.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:34 PM
hanzov69
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been eyeing up the handle and gas lid covers on OutMotoring but was concerned about the durability of the install.

Glad to hear from someone who actually has them, guess I know who's getting (more of) my money today :D

Old 08-13-2015, 02:48 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 08-13-2015, 02:49 PM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
I purchased CF comfort access door handles, gas cap & surround along with front & rear Mini wings for my Johnny when it arrives nxt. month From carbonmini.com

Here are the web prices they sent me:
"For the F56, we have the following premium carbon fiber upgrades. Listed are our factory-direct web prices. Additional discounts may apply depending on the part, size of order or special promotion. "

Available Now
CF Door Handle Overlay Kit = $180 ($190 for Comfort Access Version)
CF Sport Fuel Cap Overlay Kit = $180
CF Wing Emblem Overlay Kit = $160

In Production - Available for Preorder w/Discount
CF Headlight Trim Overlay Kit = $275
CF Tail Light Trim Overlay Kit = $250
CF Mirror Cap Overlay Kit = $395

In Development - Accepting Reservations
CF Boot Handle Overlay Kit
CF Steering Wheel Insert Overlay Kit
CF Dashboard Overlay Kit

Best,
Erin
erin@carbonmini.com
www.carbonmini.com

Attached Thumbnails De-chroming Exterior-unnamed.jpg  

Last edited by RDSJCW; 08-15-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:15 PM
xpunisherx
2nd Gear
What did you use to black out the chrome trim below the windows all around the car? Your ride looks great BTW!!!

Old 08-15-2015, 09:29 AM
NYXF56JCW
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xpunisherx
What did you use to black out the chrome trim below the windows all around the car? Your ride looks great BTW!!!
Ill second that! And would also like to know.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 AM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Yes, must have the blacked out window body waist line trim too!!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 AM
watchluvr4ever
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably black vinyl wrap

Old 08-15-2015, 11:56 AM
GreyNation
2nd Gear
Thanks! I used vinyl belt line tape from outmotoring.com.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:31 AM
xpunisherx
2nd Gear
Thanks! I used vinyl belt line tape from outmotoring.com.
Thanks for the information. I ordered mine. How is it holding up on your car? Any tips for installation?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 AM
GreyNation
2nd Gear
Thanks for the information. I ordered mine. How is it holding up on your car? Any tips for installation?
It holds up well. I had it on my last car for over 2 years and it still looked good.

Go slow and don't stretch the tape. Line the top of the tape up with the edge of the top rubber piece and smooth out small sections at a time.

I cut a hair over the length for each section and peel the backing as I go.

You will be fine just take your time.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Thanks for the orders , looks great.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172