F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Looked into Retrofitting Rear Fogs

Old 07-28-2014, 05:22 PM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Looked into Retrofitting Rear Fogs

In my previous car (BMW E90), to retrofit rear fog lights was just a matter of replacing the switch for a european spec one or "enabling" the button with an exacto knife, a spring from an old pen, and a straw. Hoping for something similar on the Mini, I took the lower panel off to see what's what.

My Mini did not have the rear fogs option ticked, something that comes with buying off the lot and me being a little impatient to order. Anywho, with the panel off, I first looked at the wiring. The connector has 3 pins, a ground, a signal wire, and a wire for illumination (guessing here). There is a 4th hole in the connector for another wire that's absent. Can factory rear fog owners check and see if this is occupied? This is a generic connector 4 pin connector BMW has used since the 90's so I may just be paranoid.

Name:  DSC07956.jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  49.5 KB

Here's the backside of the switch.

Name:  DSC07959.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  56.0 KB

I took apart the switch that's held together with a series of clips for a peek inside.

Name:  DSC07963.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  57.6 KB

Front:

Name:  f7ae2c85-e830-49cc-935b-adb6b1c4394e.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  84.4 KB

Back:

Name:  DSC07965.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  123.6 KB

As you can see bits are actually missing from the circuit board, so looks like it's a no go for the spring and straw method. I'm just curious how many fractions of pennies did they save by doing this. They did splurge on bulbs in the rear foglights however.

So it looks like I'll be ordering a new switch and see where that gets me.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
subscribed.
i was considered not even bothering to use it as a fog as i don't see that being an issue in NY but moreso splicing into my backup lights so they turn on when i go into reverse. seems easier and more realistic to some of us that dont' live in high fog areas.

also would help for those with dark tints.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 AM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Marcopolo, I like the idea of converting them into additional back up lights. I havnt looked at it all to see if there are bulbs in there. but since the lens is there it probably wouldn't be too hard to add a switch and lights. but of course you'd be doing all the wiring and everything.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ojedam64
Marcopolo, I like the idea of converting them into additional back up lights. I havnt looked at it all to see if there are bulbs in there. but since the lens is there it probably wouldn't be too hard to add a switch and lights. but of course you'd be doing all the wiring and everything.
i haven't either but word around the forums is that they come with bulbs...

- verify the fuse can handle the load
- splice the wiring...

i'll take a stab at it over the weekend.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
What about just putting bright LEDs in the reverse lights? I mean the rear fogs are red, doesn't seem like the best solution.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:33 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by glucklich21
What about just putting bright LEDs in the reverse lights? I mean the rear fogs are red, doesn't seem like the best solution.
i was just trying to make use of the rear fogs....it's like they're there, so do something with them.

that was all. i get your solution, i was looking at alternatives.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
i was just trying to make use of the rear fogs....it's like they're there, so do something with them.

that was all. i get your solution, i was looking at alternatives.
Gotcha!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
In my previous car (BMW E90), to retrofit rear fog lights was just a matter of replacing the switch for a european spec one or "enabling" the button with an exacto knife, a spring from an old pen, and a straw. Hoping for something similar on the Mini, I took the lower panel off to see what's what.

My Mini did not have the rear fogs option ticked, something that comes with buying off the lot and me being a little impatient to order. Anywho, with the panel off, I first looked at the wiring. The connector has 3 pins, a ground, a signal wire, and a wire for illumination (guessing here). There is a 4th hole in the connector for another wire that's absent. Can factory rear fog owners check and see if this is occupied? This is a generic connector 4 pin connector BMW has used since the 90's so I may just be paranoid.

Here's the backside of the switch.

I took apart the switch that's held together with a series of clips for a peek inside.

Front:

Back:

As you can see bits are actually missing from the circuit board, so looks like it's a no go for the spring and straw method. I'm just curious how many fractions of pennies did they save by doing this. They did splurge on bulbs in the rear foglights however.

So it looks like I'll be ordering a new switch and see where that gets me.
It doesn't make sense that they replace this circuit card if a car is ordered with rear fogs. I think it is a $100 charge. That doesn't add up. I'm not sure there is a separate switch for the rear fogs. I suspect they come on with the front fogs, so there may only be one fog light switch. Those missing bits might be for some future functionality.

Maybe the rear fogs are actually some software enabling thing??? The connector on the back of that switch is some digital control signal. So it is sending a command to some computer. $100 to make a software change sounds more reasonable and explains why there are already bulbs back there.

Did you ask the dealer if they can enable them?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:58 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I'm not sure there is a separate switch for the rear fogs. I suspect they come on with the front fogs, so there may only be one fog light switch. Those missing bits might be for some future functionality.
Is this just idle speculation? The Owner's Manual clearly shows the rear fog button and describes its operation.

In past generations of MINI, retrofitting the rear fog involved both adding the switch and programming. Depending on the model, the rear fog lamp was often already there, wired and complete with bulb even if it wasn't functioning.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:22 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
The rear fogs are not just for fog. They're beneficial, as well, in heavy rain. Or any other condition where visibility to the car behind you is limited. I just tested my rear fogs last night with my wife driving behind me. She was surprised at how bright they were. I will most definitely use them in the future in heavy rain. I like the idea that a vehicle behind me can see me when I need them to. So I would not recommend converting the rear fogs to an additional backup light system. Instead, replace your backup lights with a brighter bulb.

RKW, in another thread someone confirmed that if you didn't order rear fog lights then the existing setup on your MINI is sans the bulb, switch and programming. And maybe without the wiring, too.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
seems crazy they installed bulbs and a false switch...almost like it would cost pennies to finish the job.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
It doesn't make sense that they replace this circuit card if a car is ordered with rear fogs. I think it is a $100 charge. That doesn't add up. I'm not sure there is a separate switch for the rear fogs. I suspect they come on with the front fogs, so there may only be one fog light switch. Those missing bits might be for some future functionality.

Maybe the rear fogs are actually some software enabling thing??? The connector on the back of that switch is some digital control signal. So it is sending a command to some computer. $100 to make a software change sounds more reasonable and explains why there are already bulbs back there.

There are two fog light buttons on the dash. Top is for the front fogs and the bottom for the rear fogs.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ojedam64
seems crazy they installed bulbs and a false switch...almost like it would cost pennies to finish the job.
I think we have determined that all the wiring is already there and the bulbs too. Costs them pennies but they charge many dollars for the switch swap and programming!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 PM
glucklich21
2nd Gear

No as my nearest dealer is 140 miles away and I did not purchase the car from them. The circuitry is missing completely and I doubt the Mini has adaptive brake lights like its BMW cousins do (making the retrofit 5 mins tops on said cars). I'm driving up to Montana tomorrow so I'll revisit this when I get back towards the end of the month.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any update on this anyone? I didn't get the fog lights, but I was hoping this can be retrofitted with an LED to stay on while the rear lights are on.

I'm thinking a low power draw LED shouldn't trip anything, so maybe just keep it lit all the time? It might be okay if it's just bright enough.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I doubt the Mini has adaptive brake lights like its BMW cousins do
FWIW, the option is available in the programming.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ogramming.html

Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM
George 2014
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hp79
Any update on this anyone? I didn't get the fog lights, but I was hoping this can be retrofitted with an LED to stay on while the rear lights are on.

I'm thinking a low power draw LED shouldn't trip anything, so maybe just keep it lit all the time? It might be okay if it's just bright enough.
Just power them directly off the battery and trigger them with a relay that's signaled by whatever circuit you please: Brakes, headlamps, whatever.

That would be a stand-alone circuit that the ECU wouldn't see, so you can any type of bulb you like.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:08 AM
UticaProf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's quite a bit of info in a previous thread about this, including pics of the replacement switch variations, which are around $100. I did the same surgery, pulling out the switch only to determine that unlike the BMW you can't do a quick activation. And this was after coding the rear fogs, but coding by itself doesn't do a thing.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:25 PM
spacecadet
1st Gear
To make the rear fogs work

As I just posted in the coding thread, you need to do the following - not just buying the switch, but also using e-sys to enable the feature in the body domain controller (BDC)

First, purchase the version of the light switch for your car that includes the rear fog switch and fit it.

Then, the following coding is required to make them work,

1) add option 5AA rear fogs to the VO (vehicle order)

then in the BDC, code the following :-

2) 3068, NSL_Verbaut = Verbaut

(This enables the BDC to sense the switch, if you just code this and try the lights, it just activates the symbol on the instrument cluster but does nothing else)

3)

3064 Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_output = nsl_l
3064 Mapping_Nebelschlussl_L_Function = nebelschlusslicht
3064 Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_output = nsl_l
3064 Mapping_Nebelschlussl_R_Function = nebelschlusslicht

These options enable the correct outputs on the BDC to activate the lights. You could choose to have only one light on if you wished

After doing all the above, you will have fully working rear fogs, confirming that both the wiring is already in place, and BMW rape your wallet for a $100 option that only needs probably an extra $1 in components in the switch module. They obviously have a very savvy marketing department who have figured out perceived value of such options like this that cost them next to nothing

BTW, the OP was asking about the light switch connector. It is three wires no matter what version/options you have. Power, ground, CANBUS. This is typical of multiplexed wiring used by BMW.

The following users liked this post:
Chamberlin1 (05-29-2021)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 PM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
anyone ever find where you could purchase the light switch/circuit and how much it would cost?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:07 PM
hp79
4th Gear
I don't think you want to buy the switch module. The front headlight switch cluster that's in your front dash alone costs a lot to replace. Sewell parts and other places has them. Then you also need to add the hardware information in to your VO and then do the coding. If I knew when I was ordering, I would have just ordered the rear fog light for extra $100.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 PM
FlyByMike
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking here, http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...83&hg=61&fg=35 seems like there is no specific switch available

-Mike '14 MCSa

Old 01-08-2015, 03:26 PM
spacecadet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by FlyByMike
Looking here, http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...83&hg=61&fg=35 seems like there is no specific switch available

-Mike '14 MCSa

items #5, #6, #7, #8 all have the rear fog switch added

#5 = No front fog and regular halogen lights

#6 = No front fog and LED lights

#7 = front and rear fog and regular halogen lights

#8 = front and rear fog and LED lights

Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 PM
SemperMini
3rd Gear
so yeah... costs over $100 to get the switch then... yeah not worth it. maybe I will just wire it in with the reverse lights to have the extra light as some people have mentioned.

Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Let us know if you do anything to the rear fog light. I'd like to see what other people have done to it other than retro fitting the fog light switch cluster for $$$. Because these are canbus, it's not just simple as connecting them to some power source. Have to carefully look at the circuit to decide where to tap in to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 Looked into Retrofitting Rear Fogs