F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Smart phone question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 02:41 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smart phone question

Okay, try to stifle your laughter and concentrate on the answer for this one. I have an iPhone 3 (Three), and while it works perfectly well for me at present, I suspect it won't be happy connecting with the MINI system. Presently I use the archaic system of pulling over to talk.

I need a recommendation on the type of phone I should get that will converse with the MINI system. Hubby has an iPhone 5S, and has horrible trouble with it on a regular basis. He can't even put in a password to protect his phone because it then locks up and has to be driven back to the AT&T office for voodoo to make it unlock. I don't want one like that! Too much cursing involved.

I don't use a phone for games, music, photos, apps, etc. I talk on it, and once in a while check something on Yahoo. Occasionally I also try satellite view to check out a road, but usually if that's what I need, I'm in a no-service area anyway somewhere in rural Arkansas. I have (gasp!) no other apps!

Assuming there is hope for someone telephone-challenged like me, what would you new owners suggest--a phone that works well and actually can use the MINI system?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM
cwginac
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android does have a Mini Connected app (not good at all), however it'll connect over bluetooth to do much of the basic stuff (music, phone, texts).

Old 06-20-2014, 03:05 PM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think right now that iPhone 5S has the best compatibility with Mini Connected, per the compatibility page (Start Here: http://www.mini.com/connectivity/blu...=US&country=US and then pick 2014 Hardtop and all features). Maybe your husband got a lemon? I've got one model lower, the 5, and while I cannot comment on how it works with the Mini (Yet! Tomorrow!), I've never had issues like that with it locking up because of the passcode lock.

Though thinking back, are you getting the wired package or Media package? I think this answer may change based on whether you have the stock radio or the Mini Connected one.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SeppTB
I think right now that iPhone 5S has the best compatibility with Mini Connected, per the compatibility page (Start Here: http://www.mini.com/connectivity/blu...=US&country=US and then pick 2014 Hardtop and all features). Maybe your husband got a lemon? I've got one model lower, the 5, and while I cannot comment on how it works with the Mini (Yet! Tomorrow!), I've never had issues like that with it locking up because of the passcode lock.

Though thinking back, are you getting the wired package or Media package? I think this answer may change based on whether you have the stock radio or the Mini Connected one.
I've told my husband repeatedly to tell the store where to put their phone, but he's a lot more mild mannered about these things than I am. Until he starts screaming, that it! And it's not just the passcode. I mention that because he should have one to prevent use if the phone is stolen or lost, but regular use makes it lock up, too.

Please let me know how your phone works with your new car. Tomorrow? Congratulations!

BTW, I haven't ordered yet due to the website issues the last few days, but it appears that the Fully Loaded package is the way I'll go, which includes the Wired package.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you're worried about functionality with the bluetooth just making phone calls, any old phone will work just fine with the car.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:29 AM
seabrooktx
2nd Gear
I am picking up my car today. I have the Fully Loaded, Wired upgrade, etc. Unfortunately, right now I have a Blackberry (work phone). In the next week or two I will be switching to an iPhone 5s (another work phone, finally). They force us to have a lock on it (good idea anyway). I'll check it all out and let you know how it works.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Trust me, your husbands experience is not typical. If technology is something more akin to Voodoo for you, go with the iPhone. It's beautifully designed for those who want the simplest solution. Android is for tinkerers. Don't think anything else connects with the car?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed. My iPhone 5 is working great with my F56.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Thanks for all the information, everyone. I'll try my ancient phone, which works just fine...and if and when I upgrade, I'll just get something in a different color. It's probably the blue that's causing all the malfunctioning.