F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 AM
mini-mine
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?

Just curious if the interior lighting only comes with the MINI Yours interior (door lighting)?

My MA said all MINIs come with it, but read on here that might not be the case?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mini-mine
Just curious if the interior lighting only comes with the MINI Yours interior (door lighting)? My MA said all MINIs come with it, but read on here that might not be the case?
So there is 2 different sets of lights. The ones that are located in the door handles and door pockets that come standard. And then there are the light bars that line the bottom of the trim piece. These bars ONLY come with mini yours in the US.
I have done some digging and found the us spec lights that you could buy from Sewell see parts 10 here.... http://mini.sewellparts.com/oem-cata...F56S-2014.html
VYPUR and I are now attempting to determine if these are plug and play. I am going to be ordering these and attempting to put them on my car with a full tutorial/walk through posted here. My car is currently in transit, so in a few weeks keep your eyes open.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 AM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Very interested to hear how this works out for you!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
SewellParts
Former Vendor
Extended Ambient Lighting

Originally Posted by mini-mine
Just curious if the interior lighting only comes with the MINI Yours interior (door lighting)?

My MA said all MINIs come with it, but read on here that might not be the case?

We can confirm that the extended lighting is only included with MINI Yours Interior Style 4G1, 4G2 AND 4G3.

Please see the attached snippet from MINI's latest bulletin.

At this time we do not know what is involved if someone were to attempt the installation of these pieces. They are also only located in Germany, estimated arrival times would be 3-4 weeks minimum. We would be happy to assist anyone in ordering the pieces.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-ambient_lighting.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 11:42 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Looking more it looks like you need the LED MODULE that goes with the mini yours package. I may call Sewell and discuss ordering.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Cool thanks for the update.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's also the footwell lights below the dash -- I have those and a MINI Yours package, so don't know if those are standard.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 PM
bluvw69
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dwdyer
There's also the footwell lights below the dash -- I have those and a MINI Yours package, so don't know if those are standard.

The car I test drove had the footwell lighting, and no door light strips. It is my understanding that the footwell lighting is included as standard equipment.

The following users liked this post:
wertslj (06-26-2019)
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 PM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by David Cottrell
Looking more it looks like you need the LED MODULE that goes with the mini yours package. I may call Sewell and discuss ordering.
Any luck with this? Would love to try and make this work if its doable?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:18 AM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by angrybears
Any luck with this? Would love to try and make this work if its doable?
I have talked to Brandon at Sewell about what parts I may need and ordered the parts. It seems that if you have the excitement package (the normal mood lighting in cup holders/wells/door pulls etc) then you have the correct LED module to push light to the "light bars". Both Brandon and I believe that this will more or less be plug and play. It's a 4 week shopping process to get these parts from Germany and he stated I was the first to attempt this. As soon as I get these parts I will be sure to post a full tutorial for all of you to follow

Old 06-09-2014, 07:20 AM
angrybears
3rd Gear
I have talked to Brandon at Sewell about what parts I may need and ordered the parts. It seems that if you have the excitement package (the normal mood lighting in cup holders/wells/door pulls etc) then you have the correct LED module to push light to the "light bars". Both Brandon and I believe that this will more or less be plug and play. It's a 4 week shopping process to get these parts from Germany and he stated I was the first to attempt this. As soon as I get these parts I will be sure to post a full tutorial for all of you to follow
FANTASTIC!!! Outstanding to hear and thank you for the update David.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:44 PM
SewellParts
Former Vendor
F56 MINI Yours

For reference

Attached Thumbnails Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_141554.jpg   Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_141550.jpg   Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_141545.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Any more info on this? Does this show that it is plug and play and fairly easy to add?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM
SewellParts
Former Vendor
MINI Yours

Any more info on this? Does this show that it is plug and play and fairly easy to add?
I just spoke with David over the phone - I have not had a chance to take the door panel off a vehicle that is not equipped with MINI Yours for reference. Upon first glance we are beginning to believe this project may be more difficult than we had first assumed.

The fiber optic guides which were mailed to David are completing lacking any type of mounting. They are also not the pieces which are visible from inside the cabin- Those pieces appear to be plastic welded to the back of the white polished trim, which is also plastic welded to the door panel.

Here are a few more photos:

Attached Thumbnails Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_141406.jpg   Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_135807.jpg   Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_141343.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 01:20 PM
David Cottrell
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SewellParts
For reference
I had spoken with Brandon and we are concerned about the wiring harnesses associated with a mini yours vs a non mini yours. We will have to do some comparisons to see if the harness is the same on both specs.
Also, it looks like the package specific trim (white mini yours, piano black etc) in the doors is not easily removable :(. Thus resulting in a lot of work to attempt to install the brackets for the lights. We will continue to dig for a DIY solution but right now odds are not in our favor. At this moment there are still some questions in the air.

- how to get the light brackets. Part #10 on OEM site turned out to be the optics that line the inside of said bracket.

- how to install said bracket. If it requires a removal of (white or piano black) door trim, then we have an issue that this trim is plastic welded on and not easily removable

-wiring harness. This is a big one. If the wiring harnesses are different it will obviously be difficult to wire up lights :P

My car was delayed once again and will be another 2 weeks before I can take delivery (hopefully) so if anybody happens to have their panels off on a non mini yours, please supply us with ample pictures.

-Dave

Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
SewellParts
Former Vendor
MINI Yours

Reference.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_141352.jpg   Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_141338.jpg   Anyone without MINI Yours interior can confirm they have interior lighting?-20140619_135821.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 03:10 PM
angrybears
3rd Gear
Thanks for the update on this. Ill still keep my fingers crossed. I shouldn't get so bent over some led lights in the doors but it really bothers me that had I known it was an option by selecting Mini Yours I would have done it without question. NO reference of it what so ever either by my MA or on the website. Another Fail on Mini...

Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SewellParts
I just spoke with David over the phone - I have not had a chance to take the door panel off a vehicle that is not equipped with MINI Yours for reference. Upon first glance we are beginning to believe this project may be more difficult than we had first assumed.

The fiber optic guides which were mailed to David are completing lacking any type of mounting. They are also not the pieces which are visible from inside the cabin- Those pieces appear to be plastic welded to the back of the white polished trim, which is also plastic welded to the door panel.

Here are a few more photos:
Thanks for posting all this / checking out. But all this "it may be more complicated" makes me glad I switched my build on Monday to include the Mini Yours Dark Cottonwood because I want the extended lighting. And it actually worked out to be only a $50 add for me because I had Firework surface ($200) and Dark Truffle Color Line ($100) on my build -- the Firework went away as it's replaced by Dark Cottonwood and the Dark Truffle Color Line goes to N/C with the Mini Yours.

Last edited by aafflyer; 06-21-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by aafflyer
...replaced by Dark Cottonwood and the Dart Truffle Color Line goes to N/C with the Mini Yours.
Ugh, that makes me a tiny bit disappointed. When I first built my car on the configurator in early April, that was the case, Mini Yours gave the color line for free along with the dash choice. But then three days before I ordered that changed and Mini Yours only gave you the dash color option and the color line was additional, and I somehow decided that I'd added enough options already and removed the Mini Yours and kept the color line. I guess that was a temporary glitch in the config if it went back. Oh well, I don't mind Hazy Grey that much from the pictures I've seen.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:53 AM
angrybears
3rd Gear
I had spoken with Brandon and we are concerned about the wiring harnesses associated with a mini yours vs a non mini yours. We will have to do some comparisons to see if the harness is the same on both specs.
Also, it looks like the package specific trim (white mini yours, piano black etc) in the doors is not easily removable :(. Thus resulting in a lot of work to attempt to install the brackets for the lights. We will continue to dig for a DIY solution but right now odds are not in our favor. At this moment there are still some questions in the air.

- how to get the light brackets. Part #10 on OEM site turned out to be the optics that line the inside of said bracket.

- how to install said bracket. If it requires a removal of (white or piano black) door trim, then we have an issue that this trim is plastic welded on and not easily removable

-wiring harness. This is a big one. If the wiring harnesses are different it will obviously be difficult to wire up lights :P

My car was delayed once again and will be another 2 weeks before I can take delivery (hopefully) so if anybody happens to have their panels off on a non mini yours, please supply us with ample pictures.

-Dave
There is a thread "door panel removal is easy" I think they show non Mini Yours pics. Maybe he can say one way or the other?

Old 05-11-2021, 03:01 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Adding LED lighting to my 2016 F56

I can indeed confirm that there are THREE additional wiring connections for LED lighting in my door panels. I had already bought the piano black trim pieces with the led light bars to add to my doors when I discovered there is also a place for led lighting for the door pocket as well so after taking off my passenger door and drilling 20+ holes and adding all the lights and connectors and trim pieces I have now ordered the additional optical connectors for my doors and 2 more led modules from outmotoring. I have added some photos of where I am at thus far on this project.

front trim piece with connectors

back trim piece with connectors

New led module for front trim piece by speaker

front trim piece with connectors and led module

where the led light for the door pocket goes.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:31 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
More pics

I also took the trim pieces for the door handle covers and the speaker covers to a local auto body shop and had them professionally painted gloss black to match the new Piano Black door trim pieces and they turned out GREAT. They are an exact match for the OEM piano black finish. I also had the trim pieces for my HUD, center USB/12v, and i-drive controller painted to match them also as I didn't want to just have some stick-on trim covers for those. I do apologize for all the dust and fingerprints but I figure no sense in cleaning them until I am actually finished...

Door panel finally installed and lit up in the daytime

And lit up at night

Last edited by bgdrewsif; 05-15-2021 at 07:37 PM.