F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

Retrofitting the Storage Package

Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Retrofitting the Storage Package

I wonder if anyone has done a 'Storage Package' retrofit in a F54? I've been putting together a parts list, and plan to do it (I'll post all the parts needed and some instructions once it's done), just figured I'd ask before I take the blind jump. Mostly I'm curious if the loading sill cover, floor panel mount, and trunk crossmember are the same for the 'storage package' and 'no storage package' variants of the clubman trunk. If nobody knows, I suppose I will soon enough =).

Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Ferretdancer
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reidmefirst View Post
I wonder if anyone has done a 'Storage Package' retrofit in a F54? I've been putting together a parts list, and plan to do it (I'll post all the parts needed and some instructions once it's done), just figured I'd ask before I take the blind jump. Mostly I'm curious if the loading sill cover, floor panel mount, and trunk crossmember are the same for the 'storage package' and 'no storage package' variants of the clubman trunk. If nobody knows, I suppose I will soon enough =).
When I received my 2019 JCW Clubman, the factory managed to install the wrong back seats and failed to install the "Storage Package". The dealership was able to order the correct backseat and install, but said that the storage package couldn't be installed after they did some research. This was all billed back to Mini Corporate, so the dealership didn't really have any reason to be lazy, so I suspect there is some critical difference in the substructure.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:54 PM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ferretdancer View Post
When I received my 2019 JCW Clubman, the factory managed to install the wrong back seats and failed to install the "Storage Package". The dealership was able to order the correct backseat and install, but said that the storage package couldn't be installed after they did some research. This was all billed back to Mini Corporate, so the dealership didn't really have any reason to be lazy, so I suspect there is some critical difference in the substructure.
Wow, that sounds awful. Well, I ordered up the 'Storage Package' cargo cover, and spare tire bottom tray as a start, to see if I can make something work for getting a spare tire mounted in the rear/having the flat floor when the seats are folded down. If it really can't be done according to Mini, that stinks and I may have just wasted some money.

I'm curious what did they end up doing for you, since they messed up your custom car order?

Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM
N0B0DY
3rd Gear
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
You could've refused the car and let them reorder it.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM
Ferretdancer
Neutral
When I received the car, I didn't walk out of the dealership until I had a signed letter saying that they would either order and replace the car or replace all of the parts. It was my choice. I didn't really want to wait another 12 weeks and I didn't really care about the storage package. I didn't like that the floor panel was not removable in the storage package since I wanted to be able to use the full depth of the cargo area when traveling with my dogs. The seats were the important part and the dealership did a great job of replacing those.

They ended up giving me a choice of various Mini Swag, so I ended up throwing on the rooftop cargo container.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:09 AM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
When I received the car, I didn't walk out of the dealership until I had a signed letter saying that they would either order and replace the car or replace all of the parts. It was my choice. I didn't really want to wait another 12 weeks and I didn't really care about the storage package. I didn't like that the floor panel was not removable in the storage package since I wanted to be able to use the full depth of the cargo area when traveling with my dogs. The seats were the important part and the dealership did a great job of replacing those.

They ended up giving me a choice of various Mini Swag, so I ended up throwing on the rooftop cargo container.
Cool to know that they were able to replace the seats at least (I'm assuming they swapped in the 40/20/40 split seats?). That's another thing that I'm thinking of doing -- just keeping an eye on ebay and maybe will hunt around junkyards for a totaled F54. All so my parents can have cupholders when I drive them around ;-).

Old 04-08-2019, 05:17 PM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
Well, I finally received my car (it was sitting at the dealer lot for a few weeks, waiting for a part for the factory roof rails to arrive [and yes, if you haggle, a dealer can install the factory rails on a clubman if it doesn't have them -- the install is actually identical to the F56, and uses the same drill guide!]).

I managed to put the trunk Center Trim piece in tonight, as well as the flat loading top, and the trunk liner/bottom which has a hole for the spare tire bolt to go through. In total it took about 20 minutes to install. I have never done vehicle interior panel work before, either, this was my first time getting to use plastic rivet remover tools.

My observations: the parts aren't really worth it. If I were going to do it again I would buy just the flat 'false top' trunk lid, and would just cut holes into the center mounting part. I would make some measurements of where the spare tire bolt is, and drill a small hole in the bottom liner. That would have made the upgrade about $188 for the cargo cover/false floor.

Anyway, you CAN retrofit the storage package, at least this much of it. I suspect Ferretdancer's dealer, or MINI, decided that the retrofit was too expensive to do for some reason. But at least on my vehicle, a Cooper S All4 (not a JCW), all of the hardware for the storage kit is built into the body. I will eventually get around to retrofitting the side panels with the storage pockets. I suspect that an issue with the trunk retrofit MIGHT be that the driver's side trunk light wiring either won't exist, or will need to be coded, for the storage package to work.

Oh, and another reason that they may have said 'no' to Ferretdancer's storage package would be the USB outlets for the rear seat passengers. I don't really care to have those, though.

Parts required:
51477360761 (false floor/hidden trunk cover): $189
51477427156 (cross member/center piece, not really needed if you don't mind measuring/cutting your stock cross member): $32
51477420086 (trunk floor for compact spare wheel, again not needed if you can use a measuring tape and a drill): $95

Remove three plastic rivets that hold in the center piece/cross member. Two are located just behind the rear seats (one on each side), with a third rivet in the middle of the trunk side.

Remove the bottom liner (it just lifts right out), and then remove the cross member trim panel. The cross member trim is tucked under the two side interior liners, firmly tugging it will pull it out. Also note that two cargo hooks pass through the center piece at the rear of the car, as well as a stamped steel bar for the rear seats passing through the liner at the front. There are grooves cut into the center piece for each metal part to pass through.

Install the new cross member. Fitting it back in is kind of hard because you have to tuck it back under the left and ride side trim pieces. I found that reaching my hand under/through the folded down rear seats allowed me to lift up the side trim and hook each side of the center piece underneath the side trim. Once it is seated well, re-install the three plastic rivets. Make sure that the interior part of the rivet seats into the metal on the vehicle body, and then push in the interior part of the rivet, which causes the outer part to mushroom out and hold. Give the cross member some push and tug to be sure the rivets are firmly seated. Then re-install the bottom liner.

The cargo top lid now fits through the holes into two bars, and can swing up and down. The only downside is that there is no stopper on either side of the trunk, but at least this makes a 'lay flat' trunk with hidden storage.

These are the two center pieces side-by-side. If I had known that this was all the difference, I'd have just removed the original, cut some holes in it, and re-installed it. I also purchased the 'spare tire' bottom liner, but again it wasn't really worth it. All it has a single hole in it which allows the spare tire bolt to mount up.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:56 AM
Ferretdancer
Neutral
Does 51477360761 (false floor/hidden trunk cover) just rest in the grooves on either side of the trunk? I am interested in just that part as long as it is quickly removable and sturdy.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:45 AM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
Yes the false floor/hidden trunk cover will fit right on, even if you don't have the other storage package parts. It rests on the cross member cover, the two side covers, and the rear hatch plastic trim. In spite of these parts being made of some kind of composite/fiber board, they seem pretty sturdy. The false floor itself is pretty thick and can hold a lot of weight.

You will want to unscrew the hinges on the false floort before laying it in, if you decide to leave the cross member cover as-is. The hinges are screwed onto the cover with some torx screws. If you don't remove them, they'll lay on top of the cross member cover, and if you put a lot of weight on the false floor they may end up breaking off or damaging the cross member cover. Another easy option is you could measure your cross member cover holes by using the false floor as a template, and just cut the existing cross member cover while it's still in the vehicle. That would expose the hinge pins. Just make the openings big, and your false floor will be hinged, which is nice. The cover clips onto the pins, and can easily be removed and re-installed onto the pins.

I did try laying in the back of the car to see how sturdy the false floor is. It seems good enough to hold me. When I was younger I would often sleep inside of my station wagon when going on long road/camping trips if the weather was bad. I probably won't sleep inside of my Clubman but it is certainly an option -- just have to stick my feet between the front seats to have enough room. I would trust the cover to hold me while sleeping.

Of course, another option that, depending upon your skill, could be cheap and classy-looking would just be to use a piece of plywood ;-). Shop-grade plywood, once sanded and varnished, looks nice and holds up very well. Cutting it to fit the Clubman wouldn't be so bad.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 AM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
As a follow-up on this thread: one thing that I am curious about now, is: what are the extra cutouts in my cross member cover actually for? The extra square cutout exposes a thread for something to bolt into, and the slot appears to be for some sort of hook or tie-down thing to go through.

I've only been able to find one photo that looks to have something installed there -- some sort of spare tire hook? I wonder if anyone that has a clubman with storage package and spare tire installed can tell what the purpose of that, actually is? If it provides some extra support for the false floor I may have to track down the part =).

Old 04-10-2019, 03:15 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I was wondering the same. I have the storage package, but no spare tire ... and I've been rocking non-runflats for 24K miles now - including one puncture. Your post inspired me to actually LOOK at my car. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the crossmember cover you installed and my car are those holes on the vertical "face", which you aren't needing to use for the spare.

My check engine light came on this week for the first time, so I'll probably be heading to the dealer fairly shortly. I intend to look for some cars with the spare tire kit installed to see what's going on there.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:01 PM
reidmefirst
1st Gear
I'd be curious if your dealer visit reveals the same thing, but I think the mystery may be solved.

That bracket looks to be a part that comes with the official "spacesaver spare" tire.

Here's a photo of the complete kit from Mini Mania:

Looks like the part labeled 'Bracket' in the photo above, is what is meant to bolt into the groove. The shape of the bracket has two divots in it, which would fit into the little zig zags on the crossmember cover.

I think the idea of the bracket is: the part of the spare tire at the rear of the vehicle is tucked under the door sill. This bracket will hold it towards the front of the vehicle. This could prevent the wheel from coming loose in a crash, for example if you didn't remember to thread the wheel retaining bolt down well. I guess. I don't think it would help much honestly...if you crash hard enough for the bracket to matter, you're having a really bad day. Assuming the wheel was restrained only by this bracket, then the jack, wrench, and other miscellaneous stuff would launch towards the front of the vehicle.

I found this page which shows the various cross member trim covers and the corresponding options:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3801

It looks like, if you don't want the spare tire retaining bracket, but still want the notches cut into the cross member cover, part 51477360785 is an option.

I'm debating whether to actually get a spare tire. I am running the stock runflat tires and not sure if I would ever switch from them. Lots of people describe them as giving a harsh ride quality. My other car is a Miata with the Bilstein suspension (it's quite stiff). Compared to the Miata my Clubman feels pretty cushy, even in sport mode.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:58 PM
GDGR
3rd Gear
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by reidmefirst View Post
I'd be curious if your dealer visit reveals the same thing, but I think the mystery may be solved.

That bracket looks to be a part that comes with the official "spacesaver spare" tire.

Looks like the part labeled 'Bracket' in the photo above, is what is meant to bolt into the groove. The shape of the bracket has two divots in it, which would fit into the little zig zags on the crossmember cover.
Nice sleuthing!

Part #36106857382

Good pics at ECS Tuning: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/36106857382/

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...00#36106857382

Last edited by GDGR; 04-10-2019 at 10:29 PM.