F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:15 AM
angrymini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Key Fob

I have noticed that with the key fob in my pocket i accidentally press the trunk button often. This wasn't an issue so much with my F56 since it just unlatched the truck but obviously with the clubman the door springs open. How is everyone else dealing with this? i know the simple answer is to not put my keys in my pocket but i don't want to carry them everywhere.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:00 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm guessing you're a guy wearing Wranglers most of the time and guessing the key fob is like the one on my co-pilot's CM, the big round one. If all that fits, I'd suggest conciously putting the key into you pocked control button in. It might be that facing out the button gets punched accidently from time to time...after re-reading your comment, yea, you're a guy. Gals don't put keys in their pockets.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:04 PM
angrymini
2nd Gear
While yes i am a guy, i prefer to wear shorts and place the key into the cargo pocket. I had a 3D printed over for the fob when i had my F56 but it only lasted about 2 months before it fell apart.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:58 PM
ilyart
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by angrymini
I have noticed that with the key fob in my pocket i accidentally press the trunk button often. This wasn't an issue so much with my F56 since it just unlatched the truck but obviously with the clubman the door springs open. How is everyone else dealing with this? i know the simple answer is to not put my keys in my pocket but i don't want to carry them everywhere.

Yes, 1st solution - 3d cover... I have this.

But, I know that the manufacturer has updated the firmware, and such random keystrokes should not be. Check with your dealer for the firmware version.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:24 PM
angrymini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ilyart
Yes, 1st solution - 3d cover... I have this.

But, I know that the manufacturer has updated the firmware, and such random keystrokes should not be. Check with your dealer for the firmware version.

I had that one but in blue, after two months is stopped holding the fob and would come apart every time i got it out of my pocket. I will have to ask the dealer and see if there is newer firmware for the fob to help with this.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:34 PM
ilyart
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by angrymini
I had that one but in blue, after two months is stopped holding the fob and would come apart every time i got it out of my pocket. I will have to ask the dealer and see if there is newer firmware for the fob to help with this.
I use for 4 months... jeans, shorts - all ok also have second cover, will replace if necessary ))) but I think that this is an extra protection and everything is solved by firmware.

You can find on the forum topics about it...

Old 06-27-2018, 01:47 PM
zagman
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I tried that exact one as well as a way to prevent the accidental door opening. The tabs that held it flush were very fragile. I had my first one replaced when it broke on install. The second last 4 weeks. I went back to one that doesn’t cover the trunk release bottom. It’s lasted for 6 months

Old 06-27-2018, 10:05 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, there was a software fix for this problem. I know there were a couple of threads concerning this issue.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:26 AM
JohnnyQuest
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well this is off topic, but I have to say that I think the push button start is up there in the top 3 most idiotic things ever invented for cars. Inserting a key and turning it is the perfect solution. That way, you don't have to sit on the key, you don't have to watch it bounce around in the cup holder, and you don't have to worry about leaving it in the car when you walk away. The precision by which my Porsche key clicks into the ignition switch and clicks when I turn it, makes me smile every time I start or turn off the car. Seriously, it's an engineering marvel in its precision and simplicity. The idiocy of pressing the start buttons in my F54 and F32 makes me cringe every time I drive them. Sorry, I just had to vent, and I guess these are 1st world problems.

Back on topic, I place my Mini key in the recess of the door pull. It fits perfectly, stays put, and doesn't get pressed inadvertently. I'd MUCH rather place it into a recess in the dash and turn it, but since that option is beyond the technological capability of BMW, I think placing it in the door pull is the best solution.

Attached Thumbnails Key Fob-key.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnnyQuest:
1200K (06-28-2018), Michael Hayes (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
JonnyQuest:

I quite agree with you that this is one of the stupidest things I've seen on a car. A really bad idea, needless, and harmful.

I think I'll try the door recess trick. I haven't put the thing in my pocket since my first week of owning the car, and having the barn doors pop open. Can we discuss why you can't really turn the radio off?

I just noticed that you have a Citroen 2CV listed as being owned. Wow, very nice a classic, brilliant car. About 1980, I was in Cold Spring Harbor, NY, and I saw Yoko Ono driving her's to their house hidden behind Dr. James Watson's house at the laboratory.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:33 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Having a dedicated spot for the fob is a good thing IMHO, even though I don't mind the push button solution. I have never hit any buttons with the fob in my pocket, so I must have looser fitting jeans than most?? I have, however, accidentally tapped the door release button with my foot while exiting the vehicle, so I would prefer that button was up in the dash, say below the fog light switch.

In the rental Volvo and Chrysler minivans I have had over the past few years, they all have you take the fob and place it into a rotary switch which simply holds the fob...brilliant solution if you ask me. I have tried just turning the switch w/o the fob in them and the vehicles start as long as the fob is in range, so the fob is purely an 'electronic' key. No reason you couldn't follow the old Saab mantra and put a rotary switch into the center console, insert key and twist to start...voila!