F54 :: Clubman Talk (2015+) MINI Cooper Clubman and Clubman S Discussion

F54 Wife driven crazy by controls.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wife driven crazy by controls.

My wife got her 2018 Clubman S (automatic) in August. She is driven crazy by the display asking her to confirm that she should not rely on the backing up screen - every day. We have a 180 foot long driveway surrounded by overhanging holly trees, ferns, hydrangeas, etc. that come into the field of vision. It squawks all the way out to the road.

Not having driven the car for more than having to set the TPS , can anyone tell me, if she actually needs to confirm (every time) that she's not to rely on this? Can it just be ignored, and will it go away when she drives forward again?

Actually, she hates the controls. She came from a 2015 MINI Cooper which she loved. She couldn't get a CD player for the new Clubman for love or money, and she rightly complains that trying to drive the car while trying to navigate changing something on the screen connected to the iPhone is very dangerous, let a lone annoying.

We have piles of CDs, and a library of recorded books (she a librarian). On long trips we used to play recored goods for 9 hours at a time... no more.
Has any found a add on CD player for these cars?

Sorry for all the whining.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:48 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Is there no way to turn around instead of always backing out of the driveway? That would be one way to fix both those issues. Every car I've driven with a backup camera has that screen on it, I'm guessing it's a regulatory thing.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Hayes (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I'm guessing that it can be coded out so you don't get that screen anymore. Need to read through the various threads on ESYS coding or Bimmercode.

Rip your CD's to USB sticks. You can probably hold your entire collection on a $20 or less device. CD's and cars are now ancient history. Instead of 6 CD's that I used to have in the car I now have 275 with simple access.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:57 AM
trouble1943
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Hayes
My wife got her 2018 Clubman S (automatic) in August. She is driven crazy by the display asking her to confirm that she should not rely on the backing up screen - every day. We have a 180 foot long driveway surrounded by overhanging holly trees, ferns, hydrangeas, etc. that come into the field of vision. It squawks all the way out to the road.

Not having driven the car for more than having to set the TPS , can anyone tell me, if she actually needs to confirm (every time) that she's not to rely on this? Can it just be ignored, and will it go away when she drives forward again?

Actually, she hates the controls. She came from a 2015 MINI Cooper which she loved. She couldn't get a CD player for the new Clubman for love or money, and she rightly complains that trying to drive the car while trying to navigate changing something on the screen connected to the iPhone is very dangerous, let a lone annoying.

We have piles of CDs, and a library of recorded books (she a librarian). On long trips we used to play recored goods for 9 hours at a time... no more.

Sorry for all the whining.
Put all your cd's on your iphone and problem solved. I have 14 hours of music on my iphone 6 and room for another 14 hours if I need them. Set multi-media to her phone and she's good to go.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Loonysup
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also have a 2018 Clubman S (and a wife that doesn’t care for the controls now that i think about it). With regards to the “nag” screen, BimmerCode and Carly do not yet have the Coding’s for the module that would allow you to turn this off as apparently something changed between the 17’s and 18’s. I have a case open with BimmerCode and am hoping to hear good news from them soon.

Michael Hayes (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:21 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
My wife got her 2018 Clubman S (automatic) in August. She is driven crazy by the display asking her to confirm that she should not rely on the backing up screen - every day.
Interesting. On my 2017 when I put the car in reverse the back up camera screen comes on instantly and, for just a few seconds, there's a caution warning which then goes away, consisting of a few words at the top of the screen -- doesn't block the image.

When the car first starts there's the generic warning message which quickly disappears or disappears immediately if the i drive center button is pressed.

If there are messages that are so intrusive as to drive your wife crazy, I'd visit the dealer or contact the resident MINI Genius at your dealer, describing exactly what you're seeing that is so intrusive. Maybe there's a fix. If not the dealer, then coding.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:14 PM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I listen to all my music and podcasts on my I-phone through the bluetooth on my 2017. It is flawless....

For a free opensource program that can convert all your CDs into a format that will load right on the I-phone go to http://cdex.mu/

Old 11-14-2017, 08:55 AM
tangy07
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i think you should convert all your CDs into a USB. you will be surprised how many CDs it can hold.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Loonysup
I also have a 2018 Clubman S (and a wife that doesn’t care for the controls now that i think about it). With regards to the “nag” screen, BimmerCode and Carly do not yet have the Coding’s for the module that would allow you to turn this off as apparently something changed between the 17’s and 18’s. I have a case open with BimmerCode and am hoping to hear good news from them soon.
You sure about that? I used Bimmercode and I easily got rid of my F60's legal disclaimers on the day I picked-up my car. Are you using Advanced Mode?

The only thing I've failed to do is add temps to my TPMS display -- a thing I did easily on my F56.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017All4
Interesting. On my 2017 when I put the car in reverse the back up camera screen comes on instantly and, for just a few seconds, there's a caution warning which then goes away, consisting of a few words at the top of the screen -- doesn't block the image.

When the car first starts there's the generic warning message which quickly disappears or disappears immediately if the i drive center button is pressed.
This...

I have a 2017 Clubman and 2018 Countryman (Both are S ALL4 Manuals). The initial nag screen when you turn the car on goes away on its own after a few seconds, or when I change radio stations or what not. When I throw the car in reverse, I get the camera immediately, regardless of whatever nag screen is on the display, and there is no message that obstructs the view, only the usual one at the top edge.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:57 PM
FriFred
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The nag that drove me nuts is the It's Cold Outside one. I live in a place where it is always cold outside, at least for 6 months of the year, so I already know that!! That said, I have had my Clubman since April so at this point I pretty much just ignore all of the nag messages and don't really notice them at all any more. I just start it up and drive off.

Michael Hayes (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Loonysup
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by darex
You sure about that? I used Bimmercode and I easily got rid of my F60's legal disclaimers on the day I picked-up my car. Are you using Advanced Mode?

The only thing I've failed to do is add temps to my TPMS display -- a thing I did easily on my F56.
I looked in advanced (expert) mode as well and didn’t see it.

BimmerCode confirmed that they don’t have the updated codes for the F54 ‘18 models. Not sure how they end up getting them but they said they are coming. I’m also waiting on the coding to turn off the passenger seat belt alarm since I can’t set anything on that seat without setting it off.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gearhead60
I listen to all my music and podcasts on my I-phone through the bluetooth on my 2017. It is flawless....

For a free opensource program that can convert all your CDs into a format that will load right on the I-phone go to http://cdex.mu/
Once you do this, then use Tagscanner https://www.xdlab.ru/en/ to add album art and edit file names for the music...

Old 11-15-2017, 05:17 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
I wanted the cd option in my 2015 JCW but I had to also spec visual boost...as I recall that was another $1,000!!!! Even though that’s a ridiculous amount I still miss using my CDs...the USB stick is alright but somewhat of a hassle copying over. I’m just old school & that ain’t all bad!

Michael Hayes (11-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Nothing wrong with old school, but a onetime cd rip to USB drive is a lot less of a hassle than ripping the cd's once. Most programs like Windows Media, MediaMonkey, etc. can be set to automatically rip the cd to your desired format when you insert into computer. Then when you music folder has what you want, drag and drop to USB.

Gearhead60's methods above are not the simplest of work flows for the project at hand.

Michael Hayes (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 AM
gearhead60
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher

Gearhead60's methods above are not the simplest of work flows for the project at hand.
While they might not be the simplest, it allows for bit rate selection, multiple file type selection (lossless formats) and file format choices among other settings that aren't always available on the other Media programs. While I admit, it might be slower and more cumbersome, for us **** types, it allows us more control over these things....

Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Michael Hayes
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Problems solved!!!!
After my wife driving the Clubman for 4 months, we came to a solution of the problems.
I borrowed the car for the first time a week ago, and was very surprised as to how much I liked it, and everything about it. The short of it is that my wife is happier driving the old Cooper than the Clubman because she can see out of it more safely, and it doesn't nag her.
And I am thrilled by having to drive the Clubman S. The household is happy. Everyone wins.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:58 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I don't know why they did away with the CD player in the G3 cars. I virtually never used it even in my 2007 but still.........it's cheap.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:11 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Problems solved!!!!
After my wife driving the Clubman for 4 months, we came to a solution of the problems.
I borrowed the car for the first time a week ago, and was very surprised as to how much I liked it, and everything about it. The short of it is that my wife is happier driving the old Cooper than the Clubman because she can see out of it more safely, and it doesn't nag her.
And I am thrilled by having to drive the Clubman S. The household is happy. Everyone wins.
Sometimes the simplest solution isn't always the obvious one...enjoy the Clubby!

Old 11-28-2017, 04:22 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My reverse warning goes away after a few seconds; I just ignore it.

And while cleaning my garage, I came upon an old walkman type CD player, which I plan to attach to the "Aux In" spigot! When I need it, that is; for now I have a ton of books on my phone, in Audible, and I've been connecting that for long drives.